Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Hotel email address: [email protected]
OR: [email protected]
Lounge: [email protected]

Le Royal Club Benefits + Facilities (As of Feb 20, 2019)

Print Wikipost

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2010, 2:43 pm

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Plaza Athenee, BKK (Starwood)

We believe this is also a point for us to, once again, thank you for your loyalty and for leaving feedback on tripadvisor.com. We are currently 60th and our aim is to be below 40 by year-end (and we believe it is possible)!

It would be great if all of you could help us get there.

Best regards,
Plaza Athenee, BKK (Starwood)
Interesting. For *wood properties, I read both FT and TA before I book. One of the things that confused me is the great ratings that your property gets here, but on TA it's ranked 60th. Do you have any idea why tour TA rankings don't reflect the same level of prestige that the FT ones do?

ETA: I should clarify that and say your 60th ranking isn't "bad" at all. 90% of the people who stay there would recommend it. Why did you pick 40th, and what do you think you need to do to achieve that?

Last edited by DHAST; Oct 4, 2010 at 6:45 pm
Old Oct 4, 2010, 3:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by DHAST
any idea why tour TA rankings don't reflect the same level of prestige that the FT ones do?
The people rating on TA are not the same class of people rating on FT. They have different priorities than most of us do. For example, I'd wager that most TA raters wouldn't even know what the term "Platinum recognition" means.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 3:48 pm

Programs: Lufthansa FTL, HHonors Gold, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
... are not the same class ...
how about you come back to earth again?

They have different priorities than most of us do.
That's it and there's nothing wrong about that

I'd wager that most TA raters wouldn't even know what the term "Platinum recognition" means.
Although the PA is known for a great recognition of platinum members, I really doubt that they can survive with all the "hey dude, gimme a suite for 2.000 THB"-plats from FT
Old Oct 4, 2010, 6:48 pm

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
The people rating on TA are not the same class of people rating on FT. They have different priorities than most of us do. For example, I'd wager that most TA raters wouldn't even know what the term "Platinum recognition" means.
As true as that is, the LM BKK is ranked very high, as is the SGS. The SGS wasn't designed to be hip, so I'm curious what the "unwashed masses" see in that property that seems to be different than the PA.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 6:56 pm

Programs: SPG & CO Plat.
For example, I'd wager that most TA raters wouldn't even know what the term "Platinum recognition" means.
Actually, if you read through many of the hotel reviews, not just the ones in BKK, you will see that many reference SPG and what level of SPG recognition was given.

So, while you "most" modifier likely holds true, there is a substantial number that do.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 7:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by olisch
how about you come back to earth again?
I didn't mean "class" in a judgemental manner, just as a generic grouping of people with similar attributes.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 7:39 pm

Programs: SPG & CO Plat.
I didn't mean "class" in a judgemental manner, just as a generic grouping of people with similar attributes.
I took your meaning as described above, but I can see how others may not. Class is a loaded word in the West, often used the same as "caste" in other societies.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 9:41 pm
Company Representative -Le Meridien Plaza Athenee Bangkok

ETA: I should clarify that and say your 60th ranking isn't "bad" at all. 90% of the people who stay there would recommend it. Why did you pick 40th, and what do you think you need to do to achieve that?
There had to be a goal that we can aim at - and while we (eventually) would like to be in the top 10, aiming to be in the top 40 before the end of 2010 seemed like a more achieveable feat (which is where our 5* neighbors are).

We were almost 80 at the beginning of the year, and have been hovering around 60 for the past few months - a few great reviews can make a big difference!

Best regards,

P.S. We know it is (sometimes) frowned upon - sincere apologies for having pushed this thread off topic.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:19 pm

Programs: Lufthansa FTL, HHonors Gold, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
ok, that way I can follow you too ...
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:48 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I understood it as you meant it. A different segment of travelers.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
This could be a really interesting discussion.

Why don't you believe the majority? Maybe I'm gullible, but I believe a lot of what I read on tripadvisor.
i have read a lot of reviews on tripadvisor that don't make sense....some people give the property a bad review because of things that are beyond the properties control....some people give bad reviews when they don't get certain things in their rooms (things that they are not entitled to but don't know that)....

i often travel to some cities where there is no major hotel chain & i have to end up staying in a small individual hotel or guest house....90% of the time the reviews on tripadvisor do not do justice to these properties....i once read a review where someone was upset about not getting free breakfast when the hotel did not offer breakfast for free to anyone....another poster gave a budget property a bad review because there was no restaurant in the hotel....these are things we here on ft research before making a booking....

Last edited by Keyser; Oct 5, 2010 at 2:01 am
Old Oct 5, 2010, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i completely agree....i knew exactly what you meant....
Old Oct 5, 2010, 6:03 am

Just stayed one night here and thoroghly enjoyed it. The afternoon tea and evening cocktail bites in the lounge were good, and the breakfast in the Rain Tree Cafe was amazing! I loved the spread, variety and quality. Also the Jean George tasters were very tasty and interesting. We received more tasters of the signature dishes here than at Le Meridien Chiang Rai the week before.

Great lounge staff, nice and comfy checkin and out, as well as helping out with maps, shopping tips and other little questions. Got a good massage deal as well, 90 minute armoatherapy at 1700 baht. I enjoy getting it done is a premium hotel facility, and massage quality was very good.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by view
Got a good massage deal as well, 90 minute armoatherapy at 1700 baht. I enjoy getting it done is a premium hotel facility, and massage quality was very good.
You might also consider Healthland or Lavana. Neither one is in a hotel, but both are upscale operations, and offer massages for a fraction of what hotels charge.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 6:40 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by Plaza Athenee, BKK (Starwood)
... feedback on tripadvisor.com. We are currently 60th and our aim is to be below 40 by year-end (and we believe it is possible)!

It would be great if all of you could help us get there.

Best regards,
Ranked 60th??? Really? ... that's not fair at all. Many mediocre properties post their own raving reviews to boost their own TA ratings ...

I personally believe that the Plaza Athenee BKK is easily one of the top 20 hotels in Bangkok, if not one of the top 10. I will be happy to post a positive feedback on TA to reflect my great experiences at PA and the resulting appreciation of the property, its staff, and management.

Thank you for being involved here and the generous rates offered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.