Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Hotel email address: [email protected]
OR: [email protected]
Lounge: [email protected]

Le Royal Club Benefits + Facilities (As of Feb 20, 2019)

Print Wikipost

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2010, 8:10 am

Programs: A Few
Originally Posted by Kalboz
Many mediocre properties post their own raving reviews to boost their own TA ratings ...
Chatrium Suites BKK would be a prime example of gaming the system on TA. Endless glowing submissions by reviewers with 1 post pushing it to #1 in Bangkok. Completely fake IMO...and I won't be patronizing any business with those kind of ethics.

TA can be great...but you need to read between the lines carefully.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 9:03 am

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by saad
i have read a lot of reviews on tripadvisor that don't make sense....some people give the property a bad review because of things that are beyond the properties control....some people give bad reviews when they don't get certain things in their rooms (things that they are not entitled to but don't know that)....

i often travel to some cities where there is no major hotel chain & i have to end up staying in a small individual hotel or guest house....90% of the time the reviews on tripadvisor do not do justice to these properties....i once read a review where someone was upset about not getting free breakfast when the hotel did not offer breakfast for free to anyone....another poster gave a budget property a bad review because there was no restaurant in the hotel....these are things we here on ft research before making a booking....
Well, in those cases, I actually believe what I read But as you point out, the overall review takes a beating for one little thing, and I take that into account when evaluating my options. If the location seems good and the price is right, a handful of poor TA reviews affect my decision only if the negatives are things I care about.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 9:16 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
Originally Posted by yosithezet
I find it interesting how much you all, not just PA, put into tripadvisor.com I never visit it and don't believe a word written there. Does it really drive so much traffic to hotels? How are the travelers that are using it to make their decisions?
+1.

I can't take TA seriously most of the time I read it. I read about a property I know well every now and then and I rarely recognise it from the guff on TA. It's also far too easily manipulated by properties etc.

Originally Posted by DHAST
As true as that is, the LM BKK is ranked very high, as is the SGS. The SGS wasn't designed to be hip, so I'm curious what the "unwashed masses" see in that property that seems to be different than the PA.
I didn't realise of the parameters of being rated highly as a hotel was having to be someones idea of being 'hip'. There is very good reason why the SGS is rated higher than the PA, so maybe TA isn't so far off the mark after all. Having said that I am not sure how LM is up there.....

The PA was very good at cleverly building up a loyal little fan club on here, and kudos to them for being pro-active in doing it. Now they clearly need to do the same on TA, which bearing in mind how easy it is to 'work the system' on there, shouldn't be too difficult.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 8:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler
Chatrium Suites BKK would be a prime example of gaming the system on TA. .... Completely fake IMO...
I wouldnt say its completely fake (maybe partially fake), the average poster on TripAdvisor is probably more used to staying at Days Inn rather than Le Meridien, and in all likelihood the first time visiting Bangkok (if not the first time abroad). As I have mentioned many times, just look at the ratings on TA for Hanoi hotels, for years the top 5 are locally run motels ......
Old Oct 6, 2010, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by mario33
I wouldnt say its completely fake (maybe partially fake), the average poster on TripAdvisor is probably more used to staying at Days Inn rather than Le Meridien, and in all likelihood the first time visiting Bangkok (if not the first time abroad). As I have mentioned many times, just look at the ratings on TA for Hanoi hotels, for years the top 5 are locally run motels ......
good point....
Old Oct 6, 2010, 4:58 am

I always thought, as the selfish person that I am , that there is no real benefit in me writing positive reviews for a property, ALL THE MORE if my stay was a good one and i look forward to frequenting that property going forth.

If i write positive reviews on TA/FT/TVcity/etc, more customers will come to that property (given that as dumb as TA may be, it still has a huge influence over many traveller's decisions), and the more customers the property enjoys, the more crowded it will get, and the more the prices are likely to rise (if we apply the law of demand & supply strictly at its face value).

I do not want the properties I frequent and love staying at to get busier - this leads to service levels being spread out (less staff to attend to my needs), upward pressure on the rates, or downward pressure on things like freebies to attract more customers.

... of course with apt management capabilities this would not happen - that no matter how much business it enjoys, it will still retain its level of sevice while keeping prices down etc... but unfortunately not all managements perform so well and better business more often than not leads to unfavorable consequences in many hotels across the chain.

not that i go around writing bad reviews on the hotels i like to help make it as empty as possible... it's just a thought which i think is still worth noting??
Old Oct 14, 2010, 7:34 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by Plaza Athenee, BKK (Starwood)

... and have been hovering around 60 for the past few months - a few great reviews can make a big difference!

P.S. We know it is (sometimes) frowned upon - sincere apologies for having pushed this thread off topic.
Up 4 notches to # 56 http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...l-Bangkok.html

No apologies necessary ...
Old Oct 17, 2010, 9:45 pm
Company Representative -Le Meridien Plaza Athenee Bangkok

Originally Posted by Kalboz
Up 4 notches to # 56 http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...l-Bangkok.html

No apologies necessary ...
We're heading in the right direction.

Best regards,
Plaza Athenee, BKK (Starwood)
Old Oct 19, 2010, 9:28 am

I would like to know what is the Club lounge like:

Specifically the evening canapes. Do they have self-served wine? What kind of food?
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:16 pm

Just added this to FFB and noticed it was not posted here:

Earn up to 5,000 Bonus Starpoints for stays on the Best Flexible Rate at the Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel
* 1,000 bonus points for a 1-night stay
* 2,000 bonus points for a 2-night stay
* 3,000 bonus points for a 3-night stay
* 4,000 bonus points for a 4-night stay
* 5,000 bonus points for a 5-night stay and more

Valid for stays until January 15, 2011.

http://deals.lemeridien.com/Plaza-At...ok-1846/so.htm
Old Oct 20, 2010, 9:30 am

Programs: SPG & CO Plat.
Originally Posted by nwsin
I would like to know what is the Club lounge like:

Specifically the evening canapes. Do they have self-served wine? What kind of food?
The Club Lounge is very nice. Spacious, three large rooms and one more intimate alcove. Floor to ceiling windows offering a nice view of the city.

The photos available on google images are representative of reality.

The canapes are nice, seem to follow a theme of sorts every night, but are usually high quality. It's good, well done lounge food. One supposes you can make a light meal of it, but that's not what why it is put out. Often there are "cones" that comprise a very thin crispy wafer cone stuffed with anything from mango and sticky rice to smoked salmon. (Tastes and looks a lot fancier than my meager words can describe). A nice variety of sweets, nuts, bar snacks and cakes as well.

Drinks are ordered from the lounge staff who come to your table. I don't know whether their is a limit to the number of drinks you can order. If there is, neither I nor any guest of mine has ever reached it.

I'm told, by some who know these things, that the wines are very nice.

Finally, the staff in the lounge is generally excellent. Some have worked there for a few years and have mastered the art of service. (But, I note, some are better than others.)

Hope this helps, and Safe Travels!
Old Oct 20, 2010, 3:14 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by FatManInNYC
The Club Lounge is very nice.

The canapes are nice, seem to follow a theme of sorts every night, but are usually high quality. It's good, well done lounge food. One supposes you can make a light meal of it, but that's not what why it is put out. Often there are "cones" that comprise a very thin crispy wafer cone stuffed with anything from mango and sticky rice to smoked salmon. (Tastes and looks a lot fancier than my meager words can describe). A nice variety of sweets, nuts, bar snacks and cakes as well.
Agree!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bangkok...ee/4726758891/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/uggboy/4009030707/

Drinks are ordered from the lounge staff who come to your table. I don't know whether their is a limit to the number of drinks you can order. If there is, neither I nor any guest of mine has ever reached it.
Same here ... I believe it's drink all you can drink and you can either do self service or ask for refills.

They also serve premium single-malt scotch whisky (18-year Glenlivt, Glenfidich, or the likes) which I never seen at other hotel lounges.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i really wanted to stay here during the new year but i eventually decided to go with the new four points....i need 7 rooms for 6 nights & the thb 1,990 rate was too good to pass up....
Old Dec 14, 2010, 2:57 pm

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by FatManInNYC
The Club Lounge is very nice. Spacious, three large rooms and one more intimate alcove. Floor to ceiling windows offering a nice view of the city.

The photos available on google images are representative of reality.

Finally, the staff in the lounge is generally excellent. Some have worked there for a few years and have mastered the art of service. (But, I note, some are better than others.)

Hope this helps, and Safe Travels!
+1. The canape offerings are extremely light -- I'd say that they are smaller than appetizers. But the presentation and quality are great. Enough to tease your pallete without spoiling dinner. And yes, they are fancier than meager words can describe

According to a lounge attendant, the canape offerings rotate from each restaurant in the hotel. On the night we arrived, they had offerings from their award winning french restaurant. Unfortunately, we were stuffed (and exhausted) from our flight, and were unaware of the selection-du-jor, so we missed out on them
Old Dec 14, 2010, 3:05 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by saad
i really wanted to stay here during the new year but i eventually decided to go with the new four points....i need 7 rooms for 6 nights & the thb 1,990 rate was too good to pass up....
I tried to get them to open some C&P for me during my upcoming visit but it was a no-go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.