Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Hotel email address: [email protected]
OR: [email protected]
Lounge: [email protected]

Le Royal Club Benefits + Facilities (As of Feb 20, 2019)

Print Wikipost

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2011, 5:07 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by starpoint_galaxy
When we combine this with the "not so great" Bangkok location (can be very hard to get a taxi at rush hour), and a bit of a hike from the BTS; this property has dropped quite a few notches for us while in Bangkok.
While I haven't been there recently, the location hasn't changed and everyone who has stayed there knows it isn't right next to the BTS, however it is closer than the Le Meridien is to the BTS.

I'm sure you could live with the bad checkin if they were back to their old promos of 2009.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 5:34 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite
Well, I've stayed there many times over the past 4 years, including one extended stay there of nearly 6 weeks, living on the club floor.

... and no, perhaps we are "different" but even if "free" I personally don't stay at properties with rude staff, especially since, for example, this year I have stayed at Starwood properties over 100 nights (2011 only), and it is mid June.

So, I do know what I'm taking about
Old Jul 5, 2011, 10:39 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold

Again i see this Hotel on 3rd party websites for a 1000 bath cheaper price and INCLUDING breakfast. It is impossible to get a BRG file claimed because the PA is not offering rates including breafkast on spg.com

I'm happy the other properties in Bangkok now indeed offer the best rate. The 2000 points for BRG is a nice gift but i dont like to check all the websites to make sure i get the best deal.....
Old Jul 5, 2011, 11:54 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by cln

Again i see this Hotel on 3rd party websites for a 1000 bath cheaper price and INCLUDING breakfast. It is impossible to get a BRG file claimed because the PA is not offering rates including breafkast on spg.com

I'm happy the other properties in Bangkok now indeed offer the best rate. The 2000 points for BRG is a nice gift but i dont like to check all the websites to make sure i get the best deal.....
The internet has leveled the playing field. The customer has the power.

To cln:
Post the sites and prices and let people decide if they want the cheaper rate. They are not approving a BRG, so you have nothing to lose.

It's a shame that hotel chains have standards like best rate guarantees, and that the hotels then play games to circumvent their refusal to comply. The slap in the face with continuing deep discounts on OTAs is that as well as accepting a cheaper rate, they are also paying commission to the agents.

As far as I am concerned, 1 of the brand promises of spg.com is that you will get the best rate that the hotel offers.

My question to Starwood... Best Rate Guarantee aside, does your website offer the best prices on each hotel or not? It doesn't appear to be so at this and other Bangkok hotels. And if not, are you prepared to take the claim off of your promotional material. This non-compliance is a slippery slope.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 1:28 pm
cln

you can check trivago.com and see multiple cheaper options for booking than spg.com
For my dates all *wood properties best rates were also offered on spg.com except for PA and ROS ( both about ~1000THB cheaper than on SPG.com / PA including bf).
1000THB in USD is not much but in Bangkok it is ~20% of the room rate..

I think they want to gain extra profit from people ( LOYAL SPG CUSTOMERS WHO BOOK ON SPG.COM) who are to lazy to check all the websites which i think is not a good strategy.

To be fair... the Plaza Athenee contacted me when i posted this message last time and offered me to give me the same rate i saw on the 3rd party website if i would contact them.
I dont always have time for this...

Last edited by cln; Jul 5, 2011 at 1:38 pm
Old Jul 5, 2011, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by cln
you can check trivago.com and see multiple cheaper options for booking than spg.com
Data Point: Just checked SGS for my stay starting next week. SPG.com: $177 ("Lowest Standard Rate"). Trivago.com: $241. Both rates presumably ++.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 4:15 pm
cln

Yes, all *wood properties in Bkk seem to offer their
best rates on Spg.com except ROS and PA. The 3rd party rates for ROS seem applicable for a BRG.

Most rates found on trivago include tax already .
Old Jul 5, 2011, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by cln
I think they want to gain extra profit from people ( LOYAL SPG CUSTOMERS WHO BOOK ON SPG.COM) who are to lazy to check all the websites which i think is not a good strategy.
This is a huge disappointment for me. I did not know this because I NEVER check 3rd party sites and always blindly trusted spg.com & their "BRG" for all my stays at the PA to date.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cln
Most rates found on trivago include tax already .
Then, assuming that Trivago includes the entire 10+7, equalizing the rates produces this result:
Data Point: Just checked SGS for my stay starting next week. SPG.com: $207 ("Lowest Standard Rate"). Trivago.com: $241.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 6:28 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite
I've been staying at SW properties in Bangkok for the past 60 days straight, every night, and I've not seen where a 3rd party site has lower rates (real bookable rates) than the SPG site, including the comparison site Trivago.com, mentioned earlier in this thread.

To check, as I book on the SPG site nearly daily, I just checked the SPG rates I've been getting versus what is shown on sites like Trivago.com, and the SPG lowest rates are the same as the lowest SPG rate on most properties.

For example, I've been paying 3750 baht (around 125 USD or less) for the ROS, for example, and the same prices shows as "lowest" on Trivago.com; and when I check the LM PA, the results were actually higher on Trivago.com than SPG, for the lowest rate.

Hmmmm.....
Old Jul 6, 2011, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been staying at SW properties in Bangkok for the past 60 days straight, every night,
But not at WGS, I gather....
Old Jul 6, 2011, 9:45 am
cln

I've been staying at SW properties in Bangkok for the past 60 days straight, every night, and I've not seen where a 3rd party site has lower rates (real bookable rates) than the SPG site, including the comparison site Trivago.com, mentioned earlier in this thread.

To check, as I book on the SPG site nearly daily, I just checked the SPG rates I've been getting versus what is shown on sites like Trivago.com, and the SPG lowest rates are the same as the lowest SPG rate on most properties.

For example, I've been paying 3750 baht (around 125 USD or less) for the ROS, for example, and the same prices shows as "lowest" on Trivago.com; and when I check the LM PA, the results were actually higher on Trivago.com than SPG, for the lowest rate.

Hmmmm.....

I stayed in Bangkok in June and got better price for LM BKK and ROS on 3rd partry websites, so I claimed a BRG. ( yes, you can get the same price for ROS if they are on starpicks )... if i check the rates for a weekend in september now i can only find better rates for the PA (included bf) and for the ROS ( about 1000 Bath / per night ) . All rates are bookable indeed.

Sure it depends on the time of the booking.

.. I'm really happy at least some properties keep the advertised promise about the BRG. I never needed to get a BRG claim for the SGS, they just seem to offer the best rates on spg.com always so i trust them and i not need to cross check before i book a stay at this beloved property.... ^
Old Jul 11, 2011, 7:15 am

Programs: Delta Plat, UA 1K, SPG Plat, marriott plat
"When we combine this with the "not so great" Bangkok location (can be very hard to get a taxi at rush hour), and a bit of a hike from the BTS; this property has dropped quite a few notches for us while in Bangkok. "

I agree. Getting in and from here during rush hour is hard.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 8:10 pm
b8b

Programs: DL Plat; HH Diamond; SPG & Hyatt Plat
These instructions direct from the hotel make it sound like it's easy using public transportation, is this not the case?:
___
Airport Link + BTS
Bangkok has a new airport link service between Suvarnabhumi International Airport and Phaya Thai, a downtown BTS station. You will need to take the train from the airport to Phaya Thai, and have the ability to choose between two lines:

Normal Line (24 minutes) - stops at 8 stations
THB 40 per person per way

Express Line (20 minutes) - stops at 1 station
THB 150 per person per way

From Phaya Thai, you can take a taxi or the BTS for 4 stations to Phloen Chit, which is where the Hotel is located – this service costs an additional THB 25 per person per way. The total duration of the journey is 40 minutes.
___
Old Nov 8, 2011, 3:12 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
does anybody stay at this property recently?

i just want to khow about the treatment for platinum guest (suite upgraded, free breakfast, etc.).

thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.