Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Hotel email address: [email protected]
OR: [email protected]
Lounge: [email protected]

Le Royal Club Benefits + Facilities (As of Feb 20, 2019)

Print Wikipost

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2010, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by DHAST
What's your definition of "good rate"? Just for kicks, for check-in 12/23, check-out 12/27, C&P is available More seriously, they have a pre-paid rate offering a 35% discount, where a standard room is coming out to 3442B/night, nett. I'm staying earlier in the month, and opted to grab a club room, also at a 35% discount.
the new 4 points is available for around thb 2,500 during christmas time....now that's a good rate....

but seriously, i really like this property & would rather stay here....any offers would be good....

Last edited by Keyser; Oct 21, 2010 at 4:32 pm
Old Oct 3, 2010, 12:41 pm

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by saad
the new 4 points is available for around thb 2,500 during christmas time....now that's a good rate....

but seriously, i relly like this property & would rather stay here....any offers would be good....
Can I ask a dumb question? If you think 2500 THB is a good rate, and you can get into the PA for 400 THB more, why wouldn't you just grab it, if you know you want to go at that time?
Old Oct 3, 2010, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Can I ask a dumb question? If you think 2500 THB is a good rate, and you can get into the PA for 400 THB more, why wouldn't you just grab it, if you know you want to go at that time?
not at all a dumb question....

since my travel plans won't be final till sometime early december, booking the non-refundable pa rate for thb 425 more is not a good idea....

now if i booked the refundable rate then the pa is thb 2,000 more than the four points refundable rate....
Old Oct 3, 2010, 6:07 pm

Programs: SPG & CO Plat.
Since we are in a requesting mood, it sure would be nice if the Athenee could release some C&P nights for, oh lets say, next week. Not for nothing, I'm just saying ...
Old Oct 3, 2010, 6:20 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, A-Club Gold
Hmm... is this rate available in mid-Nov? Cause the lowest rate I can find at PA
is 3,445 THB.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K HYglob Marr LT Titanium
Originally Posted by larrylim
Hmm... is this rate available in mid-Nov? Cause the lowest rate I can find at PA
is 3,445 THB.
That's the cheapest I could find on a 30 day prepaid,otherwise it's higher than that.
With the weakening US dollar the PA is 30% higher than 12 months ago.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:14 am
Company Representative -Le Meridien Plaza Athenee Bangkok

Originally Posted by lovtofly3
That's the cheapest I could find on a 30 day prepaid,otherwise it's higher than that.
With the weakening US dollar the PA is 30% higher than 12 months ago.
Since zakami and saad asked - we have some great rates out there for Christmas time.

I've done a rate-check for the 22nd of December for 3 nights, and the rates I pull on lemeridien.com are as follows:

Deluxe
THB 2'925++

Deluxe Junior Suite
THB 3'705++

Royal Club
THB 4'225++
includes breakfast, afternoon canapes and evening cocktails

Naturally, this is for a fully pre-paid non refundable rate - but the value it provides is to be considered.

If you are worried about currency fluctuations in the future, these fully pre-paid bookings really are fully pre-paid: a deposit is applied to the credit card provided in the system pretty soon after the booking is submitted for processing.

As for SPG Cash and Points - this is a very special rate so availability is very much limited (as are the advance purchase rates I've described above).

Let me know if you have any other questions (or wishes!).

Best regards,
Plaza Athenee, BKK (Starwood)
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by larrylim
is 3,445 THB.
This is the current advance purchase rate for November - and availability is getting very limited, so booking quick is advised!

Best regards,
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by FatManInNYC
Since we are in a requesting mood, it sure would be nice if the Athenee could release some C&P nights for, oh lets say, next week. Not for nothing, I'm just saying ...

We believe this is also a point for us to, once again, thank you for your loyalty and for leaving feedback on tripadvisor.com. We are currently 60th and our aim is to be below 40 by year-end (and we believe it is possible)!

It would be great if all of you could help us get there.

Best regards,
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:35 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Plaza Athenee, BKK (Starwood)

We believe this is also a point for us to, once again, thank you for your loyalty and for leaving feedback on tripadvisor.com. We are currently 60th and our aim is to be below 40 by year-end (and we believe it is possible)!

It would be great if all of you could help us get there.

Best regards,
Thanks to you for listening to us and participating here.

I find it interesting how much you all, not just PA, put into tripadvisor.com I never visit it and don't believe a word written there. Does it really drive so much traffic to hotels? How are the travelers that are using it to make their decisions?
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet

I find it interesting how much you all, not just PA, put into tripadvisor.com I never visit it and don't believe a word written there. Does it really drive so much traffic to hotels? How are the travelers that are using it to make their decisions?
I agree,but were FT'ers,a small minority.

I think Trip advsior is owned by Expedia?
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Plaza Athenee, BKK (Starwood)
Since zakami and saad asked - we have some great rates out there for Christmas time.

I've done a rate-check for the 22nd of December for 3 nights, and the rates I pull on lemeridien.com are as follows:

Deluxe
THB 2'925++

Deluxe Junior Suite
THB 3'705++

Royal Club
THB 4'225++
includes breakfast, afternoon canapes and evening cocktails

Naturally, this is for a fully pre-paid non refundable rate - but the value it provides is to be considered.

If you are worried about currency fluctuations in the future, these fully pre-paid bookings really are fully pre-paid: a deposit is applied to the credit card provided in the system pretty soon after the booking is submitted for processing.

As for SPG Cash and Points - this is a very special rate so availability is very much limited (as are the advance purchase rates I've described above).

Let me know if you have any other questions (or wishes!).

Best regards,
This is for a short period of time, 2 weeks in the slowest time of the year,other than those 2 weeks,these rates are nowhere to be found.

I can live with the 3445++ rate for a short time.
Beleive me I really like your hotel and would be there more if rates were a little lower. ZR3 Hint Hint
Old Oct 4, 2010, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i would like to know the answer to this question as well....i RARELY use tripadvisor & don't believe the majority of what's on it....
Old Oct 4, 2010, 1:13 pm

Programs: SPG & CO Plat.

Tripadvisor is a wildly successful website, often ranked as the best travel community on the web. While sophisticated travellers who are connected to more intimate IBB's such as FT, where one can know the personality and tastes of a the reviewer, may find it generic, for many people it provides easy access to what are generally considered trusted reviews.

The site admins have gotten much tougher on manipulators and often re-verify submissions before they are posted to the public. Right or wrong, it's a website that gets a lot of traffic and is routinely used by the general travel public.

If I'm looking at a property that hasn't been commented on within FT, I go to Tripadvisor. Also, while I may disregard some posts - the "this was the worst hotel in the world because I didn't get a free drink with my dinner" crowd - I am surprised how many critical posts reflect my thoughts on certain properties.

For a hotel seeking to increase bookings and revenue, I think Tripadvisor is something to which it should pay careful attention.

Again, right or wrong, it is a leading site where people turn to assist in their booking decisions.

Also, it is now common for hotels to respond to critical reviews on TA, so as to confirm that complaints are heard and are being addressed. There's an art even to that practice.

Just my two cents, and I'm curious to learn what the PA professionals think about TA.

Safe Travels!
Old Oct 4, 2010, 2:07 pm

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by saad
i would like to know the answer to this question as well....i RARELY use tripadvisor & don't believe the majority of what's on it....
This could be a really interesting discussion.

Why don't you believe the majority? Maybe I'm gullible, but I believe a lot of what I read on tripadvisor. But, what I look for in reviews goes a bit deeper than "this property is great." I take a lot about the location into consideration -- is it far out of town, if so, are cabs cheap? If it's in town, how close to a subway or transit stop? If it's a resort, what non-resort dining options are available in the surrounding area? How convenient are they? If I'm "trapped" at the resort, how expensive is the food? If the food is too expensive, and there are no reasonable options around the resort, then I'll stay elsewhere. If I want to get off the property, what are my options? I find it hard to lie about that stuff -- as Fat Man points out, properties are free to comment, so if a reviewer posts an untruthful "fact" then management has a way to clarify that. I even find it refreshing to have management make a comment like "if ____ is important to you, then you won't find it here."

I also look at property photos taken by actual users, as opposed to the stupid marketing fluff that a property posts.

One of my big nits to pick with FT hotel reviews (and I realize this is part of the whole FT premise) as a be-all, end-all is that most reviews are centered around those with status. Many properties I've looked at or posted questions about come with the comment "oh, if you have status, they upgrade you all the time. Lots of suites. Great place!" Not helpful to me without status. If I'm an average joe, what's the place like? And TA doesn't have a monopoly on "crappy" comments. Even here I find comments similar to "this property sucks, because I didn't get my plat upgrade." That may be true, there may be an upgrade available that you didn't get, but that comment sure doesn't help me judge the property on its merits. I have to go beyond FT for the "average joe" experience. TA has a ratings system that tells me "at a glance" the relative popularity of a property. I do look at * wood properties first, but if TA has poor reviews of the property, I will consider spending my travel dollars elsewhere. (That's especially true if the FT reviews are "suites are awesome" with little description of the standard room. If the suites are awesome and the TA reviews rate other properties much better, I just might take that hint.)

Last edited by DHAST; Oct 4, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.