Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Hotel email address: [email protected]
OR: [email protected]
Lounge: [email protected]

Le Royal Club Benefits + Facilities (As of Feb 20, 2019)

Print Wikipost

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2009, 6:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TippTopp
Perhaps she'll stop by to introduce herself here. Those visiting can probably see her roaming around the property.
Quite honestly, I didnt have such a good impression during her tenure as Hotel Manager at ROS ......
Old Dec 25, 2009, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
I was not too happy with the PA during my last stay. The beds were incredibly uncomfortable. Back to the Westin and SGS next month.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 3:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
Ms. Goh, General Manager of Plaza Athenee Bangkok

Originally Posted by TippTopp
Ms. Goh is well appreciated in the circles of Starwood insiders. She has been in charge for a while even if the official announcement went out only recently. I think that the property will continue its ascendancy. As some of you know, Starwood has some great development plans for the Thai capital and for Asia in general.

Perhaps she'll stop by to introduce herself here. Those visiting can probably see her roaming around the property.

TT
During my stay at the Plaza Athenee in BKK, Ms. Goh introduced herself to me in the lobby. She made me feel like a valued guest, even though I am not SPG Plat. I was not seeking to meet her, or to speak to any staff at the time. She left a very favorable impression, as someone who carried herself with sincere professionalism. Although the PA had some issues which left me preferring the SGS (for example, the a/c in the room was not cool enough), I felt that the PA is in good hands with Ms. Goh representing the hotel. IMO, many hotels or other businesses would be fortunate to have someone like her representing their organization. With that said, there is some improvement needed in the PA to be an elite hotel in BKK, where there are a number of competitive hotels at that level. If Ms. Goh can influence the staff at the PA to provide service as she does, the hotel should show improvement.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 1:10 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I stayed at this property again in late December on a 2 night C+P award. I was upgraded to a suite and the more time I spend in this property, the more it grows on me. Unfortunately the rates, though well-deserved, will keep me from staying here more often.

I found the front-desk staff more friendly than in the past. Although I was checking in quite late in the day my suite wasn't going to be ready for an hour. I didn't have any pressing need to get into the room for anything other than dropping off my bags. Besides my suitcase, I also travel with a rolling computer bag with other stuff which I value inside. The front desk staff suggested that I pop up to the lounge and store it with them. I also assume that had I just gotten off a flight and need to shower I could have used the shower in the lounge.

The lounge staff was great as usual. During my first evening the hotel manager was making the rounds during the cocktail hours and was introduced.

I love the suites in this hotel. I think it is mainly due to the size and setup of the living room. While many hotel suites have a cramped living room which is about half the size that a real living room would be, the PA has spacious living rooms with two large sofas.

Breakfast was pretty busy. The first day there were lines waiting out into the lobby. I noticed that they had opened the Glaz Bar and lobby seating for overflow. Great to see so much business at the hotel. I wonder if it is simply an issue of timing and whether arriving earlier than 10 for breakfast would have found a less crowded restaurant.

When I was checking out there was a couple that was checking in and were upset that their room wasn't ready. They were told they'd been upgraded to a suite and countered that they'd reserved a suite in the first place. Anyway I was wondering how often this happens with the 4PM checkout that Plats get.

All in all a great stay! Amazing SPG value.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 1:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
1st Return since July 06

Just finished my first stay at the PA since March 2006.
See post #3
I just never had the desire to get away from the SGS.
This time I had a longer trip to BKK and hit the PA for 4 nights.
Very Solid! Far better than I remembered and was expecting.
4 nights upgrade to deluxe suite.
Great staff in the lounge. (Did not get access in 2006).
Suite was huge.
Pool Nice but shy of the offering at SGS IMHO.
Free internet in the lounge. Definitely shy of the hotelwide free wifi for Plats at SGS.
I'll be back and it wont be 3.5 years.

Cheers,

Scho
Old Jan 6, 2010, 2:59 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Just did a one night c and p here and wasn't upgraded. I checked in at around midnight from a flight that arrived alittle later than I wanted. The breakfast in the lounge the next morning was ok. Certainly continental is a continental. The rainforest downstairs is far superior in their offerings of only continental items IMO. Thus I will probably continue to enjoy that more on subsequent stays. The lack of free wifi is annoying. I ended up paying for internet access in my room but then couldn't connect to the wifi. I called tech support and something was messed up and they couldn't fix it till the next day.

On a cash and points the free wifi at SGS saves you the $20 you get charged at the PA. Thus for $60 + 4000 pts and free wifi, or the PA where it is $45 plus 2800 but add in $20 for wifi (if that is what you want).

Thus I staggered my C and P stays and with the 500 points I picked up in the plat amenity at SGS the 2nd night and $5 I saved over the PA (when factoring in the wifi) I spent 700 more points to stay at the SGS.

Now I'm sitting in a regular room here at the SGS as well. Plus the SGS doesn't have a lounge where the PA does.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 9:26 am

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
after coming from the MERIDIEN Suriwongse ( upgr. to a very nice AVANTEC Suite ) , we stayed the next night again in PA.
Normaly ( when was gold, but alrady stayed more than 15 times last year there) our room already was ready, even checking in very early in the morning.
But this time it was a litle bit disappointing. We where accompanied to the clubfloor and checkin told us, them sorry, but our suite has to be cleaned and that takes around 30-40 minutes more. ( that was around 3 pm ). So far so good, we took a drink and after 1h. i went to the desk and asked again how about our room. Them sorryed again, and to make it short it took around 2h. until we could checkin in our room. Upgr. to a corner stand. suite.
But this time no fruitbasket, no chocolate, even no welcome gift. ( in the other MERIDIEN them also not hat one, but them offered 500 starpoints instead).
So our first platinum stay there, was by far not that good as many stays bevore as a gold.
Also would like to know if the promotion starpoints from the flyertalk rate are credited with the normal points, or later, because we also only got the regular starpoints, but never the promotion points credited.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 9:39 pm

Programs: SPG & CO Plat.
Originally Posted by schley
Just did a one night c and p here and wasn't upgraded. I checked in at around midnight from a flight that arrived alittle later than I wanted. The breakfast in the lounge the next morning was ok. Certainly continental is a continental. The rainforest downstairs is far superior in their offerings of only continental items IMO. Thus I will probably continue to enjoy that more on subsequent stays. The lack of free wifi is annoying. I ended up paying for internet access in my room but then couldn't connect to the wifi. I called tech support and something was messed up and they couldn't fix it till the next day.

On a cash and points the free wifi at SGS saves you the $20 you get charged at the PA. Thus for $60 + 4000 pts and free wifi, or the PA where it is $45 plus 2800 but add in $20 for wifi (if that is what you want).

Thus I staggered my C and P stays and with the 500 points I picked up in the plat amenity at SGS the 2nd night and $5 I saved over the PA (when factoring in the wifi) I spent 700 more points to stay at the SGS.

Now I'm sitting in a regular room here at the SGS as well. Plus the SGS doesn't have a lounge where the PA does.
I share your concerns (and your math) w/r/t the wireless situation. Given the common ownership between the LM Bangkok and the RM Plaza Athenee, it would seem the PA could offer the LM benefit of free wireless to Plats. The free access in the lounge is nice, but it only goes so far ...
Old Jan 12, 2010, 4:12 am
Company Representative -Le Meridien Plaza Athenee Bangkok

Originally Posted by bertheike
after coming from the MERIDIEN Suriwongse ( upgr. to a very nice AVANTEC Suite ) , we stayed the next night again in PA.
Normaly ( when was gold, but alrady stayed more than 15 times last year there) our room already was ready, even checking in very early in the morning.
But this time it was a litle bit disappointing. We where accompanied to the clubfloor and checkin told us, them sorry, but our suite has to be cleaned and that takes around 30-40 minutes more. ( that was around 3 pm ). So far so good, we took a drink and after 1h. i went to the desk and asked again how about our room. Them sorryed again, and to make it short it took around 2h. until we could checkin in our room. Upgr. to a corner stand. suite.
But this time no fruitbasket, no chocolate, even no welcome gift. ( in the other MERIDIEN them also not hat one, but them offered 500 starpoints instead).
So our first platinum stay there, was by far not that good as many stays bevore as a gold.
Also would like to know if the promotion starpoints from the flyertalk rate are credited with the normal points, or later, because we also only got the regular starpoints, but never the promotion points credited.
This is disappointing to hear - however, I hope we will be given the opportunity to explain:

The Hotel was running rather high occupancy levels during the time of your stay. We had offered to accommodate you in a Royal Club room which was available immediately - however, the preference was for one of our Deluxe Suites which required a wait as we had another guest still occupying the room.

For the promotional points, triple bonus points only apply for bookings booked through the link posted in the link on Flyertalk - all other rates, including advance purchase, do not qualify for the bonus.

As for the Platinum Amenity - please be assured that we will follow up with the relevant department to ensure that all promised points will be credited.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience we may have caused. We look forward to welcoming you back to the property in the near future!

Best regards,
Plaza Athenee, BKK (Starwood)
Old Jan 12, 2010, 5:07 am

Programs: Delta splat ! SPG plat . Hyatt Diamond . UA 1P
Anyone else having a problem getting bonus miles posted after staying at this property?

our 4,000 points bonus from a "flyertalk Special" rate didn't post
Old Jan 12, 2010, 6:19 am
Company Representative -Le Meridien Plaza Athenee Bangkok

Originally Posted by delter
Anyone else having a problem getting bonus miles posted after staying at this property?

our 4,000 points bonus from a "flyertalk Special" rate didn't post
If anyone experiencing the same issue, please e-mail us and we will follow up directly with our Starwood Proferred Guest Team.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Old Jan 12, 2010, 8:37 am

Programs: AA Plat for Life, Starwood Platinum, HH Gold
I just had two stays over New Year and my 500 point Platinum amenities didn't post. I e-mailed SPG Customer Service and they posted within three days. Perhaps there is a training issue with the check-out staff.

Other than that, the stays were excellent!
Old Jan 13, 2010, 11:10 am

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
clarification about room cat.

Originally Posted by Plaza Athenee, BKK (Starwood)
This is disappointing to hear - however, I hope we will be given the opportunity to explain:

The Hotel was running rather high occupancy levels during the time of your stay. We had offered to accommodate you in a Royal Club room which was available immediately - however, the preference was for one of our Deluxe Suites which required a wait as we had another guest still occupying the room.

For the promotional points, triple bonus points only apply for bookings booked through the link posted in the link on Flyertalk - all other rates, including advance purchase, do not qualify for the bonus.

As for the Platinum Amenity - please be assured that we will follow up with the relevant department to ensure that all promised points will be credited.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience we may have caused. We look forward to welcoming you back to the property in the near future!

Best regards,
I thought, them offerd us a deluxe room ( which we also only had booked ), but @ checkinn ( downstairs ) them said the suite would be available in aprox 20 - 30 minutes ( which we could wait in the lounge for).
Them also offered a deluxe club room ( which I not understood the difference between deluxe and deluxe club , only thought the deluxe club are on the club floor ).
That's why we desided to wait for that suite, because 30 minutes is not that long. But in the end it took 2 h.
Anyhow not such a big problem, only thought if them already know it takes 2 h. to clean the room, them can tell us up in the front ( and we already could walk out to do some things in this time ).
I also not speak about the promotional FT rate for this stay ! I asked for 4 previous stays booked under the FT rate ! Them also credited only with the normal points. And not credited the 2000 bonus points.
And the platinum or gold points also credited correct !
Only posted that we got no gift at arrival, but this the day bevore in MERIDIEN Suriwonge them also run out, but them offered instead 500 bonuspoints or 10$ foodcredit ( we opted for the points ) and them credited together with the stay credit.
And of course we will come back to PA soon ( but may be now a litle bit hopping between the 2 MERIDIEN hotels, to keep Plat. stat. )

Last edited by bertheike; Jan 14, 2010 at 8:33 am Reason: clarification about room cat.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 2:57 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Plaza Athenee, BKK (Starwood)
You can upgrade to a Royal Club room even before arrival - our Contact Centre will be able to assist in processing the ugprade.

Otherwise, feel free to send us your details and we can process it from our end as well.

Apologies again for the late response.

Best regards,
Thanks for you info / help!^...I have booked 2 stays of 3 and 4 nights respectively, and have upgraded in advance to a Royal Club room for 1500 SPG pts / night^
Old Jan 22, 2010, 3:34 am

Programs: UA LT 1K HYglob Marr LT Titanium
Just got this offer in the mail.
I hope some can benefit.

What will the year of the Tiger bring?
An opportunity to explore not only the 'City of Angels' but some of the finest cuisine in Thailand.

Stay during February and come hungry as a tiger, ready to dine in any of our 8 outlets featuring Cantonese, Japenese, French and Thai food with THB 1,000 to spend included in your daily room rate of THB 3'600++ as well as:

Full Buffet Breakfast for 2 at The Rain Tree Cafe
THB 1'000++ daily Food and Beverage Credit
One-time BTS day-pass for 2
What's more, share Chinese New Year with friends and family anytime between the 14th and 21st of February and save an additional 25% off at only THB 2'700++!

Book before the 31st of January to qualify.

Gong Xi Fa Cai - we look forward to celebrating the year of the Dragon with you.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/lemeri..._LM_1846_TH_AP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.