Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Hotel email address: [email protected]
OR: [email protected]
Lounge: [email protected]

Le Royal Club Benefits + Facilities (As of Feb 20, 2019)

Print Wikipost

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2009, 7:27 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by OnAMileHigh
So far I have found the staff to be cool if not aloof. Service at the pool was non-existant today until I went searching for a server.
I would call them a disinterested bunch ... I experienced the same yesterday (this morning) upon check-in ...
Old Aug 23, 2009, 7:36 am
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
Did I just arrive on a bad day? What am i missing about this property that every one seems to rave about? As an SPG Gold the SGS is a much better value. I am seriously considering decamping back to the SGS for the remainder of my stay in BKK.
If you get nothing from SGS next time, no upgrade, no breakfast, no internet, and spend more points for award or more Bahts for paid stay, do you still like SGS?

SGS is the good hotel for sure, but if you expect such lucky ungrade all the time, eventually you will be disappointed.

AS the GOLD member, you had better not count on the upgrade or free something if you compare with two/three hotels.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 10:04 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Originally Posted by Tak
I like the Plaza Athenee, but Conrad is as good as PA.
I had stayed several times at both suites, and I prefered Conrad Suite.
Also, Japanese and Chinese restaurants in Conrad are better than restaurants in PA.
Although I took advantage of mistake rate by Conrad, their lounge staffs were so nice throughout our stays.

If the rate for both hotels are same, I would stay at Conrad(if I do not care stay/night count for SPG status).

However, PA is much closer to station and usually cheaper than Conrad.
ALso, I have no complain about PA, and usually their service is good.
So in order to earn stay/night count, PA is a good choice for me.
The rates are usually higher at the Conrad, sometimes much higher.

As a Hilton Diamond, I have never gotten an upgrade to a suite at the Conrad. At the PA, I've gotten a suite 80% of the time.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 9:22 pm
Company Representative -Le Meridien Plaza Athenee Bangkok

Very sorry - posting error!

Last edited by Plaza Athenee, BKK (Starwood); Aug 25, 2009 at 12:28 am Reason: Error!
Old Aug 24, 2009, 6:18 am

Programs: AA Exp Plat, UA 1K MM, DL Plat Hyatt Globalist, MGM Noir
Originally Posted by Tak
If you get nothing from SGS next time, no upgrade, no breakfast, no internet, and spend more points for award or more Bahts for paid stay, do you still like SGS?

SGS is the good hotel for sure, but if you expect such lucky ungrade all the time, eventually you will be disappointed.

AS the GOLD member, you had better not count on the upgrade or free something if you compare with two/three hotels.
Tak, your point is well taken. I admit that I was spoiled by the SGS which has been my Bangkok "home" for several years now. Even without the perks, I would have to say I still prefer the SGS. The staff at the SGS just seem friendlier and more hospitaliable. I also love the SGS pool area.

As for the PA the rooms have freasher look and feel then the SGS. The bedding is also more comfortable then the SGS. It really comes down to the staff at the PA being less then welcoming and seemingly bothered to have to deal with guest questions or requests. I just don't get that intangible Thai hospitality vibe here that I do at the SGS. I am going to spend the rest of the week here at the PA so maybe it will grow on me and I can ammend this post after I complete my stay.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 12:53 pm
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
Tak, your point is well taken. I admit that I was spoiled by the SGS which has been my Bangkok "home" for several years now. Even without the perks, I would have to say I still prefer the SGS. The staff at the SGS just seem friendlier and more hospitaliable. I also love the SGS pool area.
I still feel SGS could be the best for me.
I like the smaller lobby,and a lot of employees recognize me so I feel comfortable to stay there.
One of the most convenient hotel for me except evening traffic.

However, pricing on Bangkok SPG hotels have been pretty accurate and well balanced(SGS>Westin>PA).
If those hotels charge me the same rate, I would stay at SGS.
But the discount/promotion by PA made me stay at PA, and I never regret.

Also, PA lurker here is the BIG + now.
I felt the hotel cared what we feel/think, and his support/assistance made me feel comfortable.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 5:52 am
Company Representative -Le Meridien Plaza Athenee Bangkok

Originally Posted by Kalboz
I would call them a disinterested bunch ... I experienced the same yesterday (this morning) upon check-in ...
To update on the above - we do take these comments seriously and do our utmost to ensure that this impression does not linger for the future. The same applies for the Lobby as does for our Pool area.

Any other feedback is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Plaza Athenee, BKK (Starwood)
Old Sep 18, 2009, 11:03 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Plaza Athenee complete Bt400 m face-lift

By SUCHAT SRITAMA
THE NATION
Published on September 19, 2009

Plaza Athenee Bangkok, a Royal Meridien hotel, has completed construction and renovation of facilities and meeting rooms worth Bt400 million. The changes are aimed at retrieving meetings and conferences from overseas and local markets.

The hotel has added 11 function rooms, including a huge meeting space, Crystal Hall, which can accommodate up to 1,500 persons. The hotel is now able to offer 28 meeting rooms and conference halls.

Georges Baurin, hotel general manager, expects that the new facilities will attract more meeting, incentive, convention and exhibition (MICE) events from both local and overseas companies and other groups.

Although hotels in Bangkok are facing difficulties in the MICE market this year due to the global economic crisis and internal political unrest, some indicators show Bangkok is getting closer to being "back on track".

"In the past months, there has been widespread resistance to considering this destination, but things will recover soon," he said

To deal with the slowdown, the hotel is working with the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) and the Thailand Convention and Exhibition Bureau (TCEB) to promote Thailand as a "best value" meeting destination.

Over the last 12 months, representatives from the hotel have travelled to India, China, Malaysia, Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan, Eastern Europe and the Middle East to introduce the hotel's new functions.

Meanwhile, all sales and marketing units of the hotel's mother management company, Starwood, are assisting in promoting the hotel's new attractions.

Hotel manager Patrick Schaub said the changes include training staff and bringing the number of chefs to 120 in order to cope with huge meetings. It will soon introduce a "wedding gallery" to capture wedding business.

According to Baurin, the hotel expects to fill 25-30 per cent of room nights by next year.

Revenue from MICE business is also expected to increase from 25 percent in 2008 to 29 percent this year and to rise to 35 percent by 2011.

The hotel invited Preeda Tantemsub of the Thai racing car team to promote facilities, as MICE participants appreciate speed and will see that the hotel "runs faster" than rivals located nearby.

The hotel has extended its current promotion "Free Meeting & Free Nights" to the end of March.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009...s_30112572.php
Old Sep 19, 2009, 8:35 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
After, like, serious decision making issues on where to stay here in BKK given the very good Starwood choices, I am spending the last two nights here at the Plaza Athenee.

A brief 20 second review; No suite upg as a Platinum though got a Royal Club Room if that makes any difference? Room is nice and very old-world if that is your style, and this makes me feel much much older than my 29 years of age Staff friendly and relatively warm but not much interaction as this hotel is way too big (for my liking).

This PA stay is immediately after two SUPER DUPER nights at the Le Meridien Bangkok where I will almost declare here - that it has to be one of the best hotel stays I've had - so maybe my impression of the PA is slightly hindered

The PA pool area / garden area is nice and open - though I much prefer the SGS's lovely intimate and green covered pool area. Yes I am fussy - but overal the PA would be a good choice for most people - probably not just for me, not just yet
Old Sep 20, 2009, 12:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLAT, PC PLAT
Originally Posted by jaejaez
i'm getting ready to visit this property for two nights in a few weeks. reading these posts makes me wanna be there now!

any recent visits by gold members? how are we recognized (if at all)?
I am GOLD and was just here last week... I got a room upgrade to a higher floor (room 2303 and then 1701). The rooms were nice but I honestly found them a bit old, especially the bathrooms. The service was fine.

I'm sure if I were Platinum, I'd love the lounge, but I have yet to see it... maybe next year!
Old Sep 20, 2009, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Stayed for 16 nights on the FT rate in August/September. I agree generally with the comments about the staff being disinterested for the most part. While, for example, I'm perfectly capable of opening the door myself, I do find it odd that three staffers would stand near the front door (there are two large front doors, actually, relatively close to each other) furthest up the driveway and watch me open and enter the hotel through the one closer to the street. This happened more than once. A far cry from the SGS which (though admittedly, it has only one front door) has two staffers assigned to the front door (one to each half) for the sole purpose of opening it.

I wrote some postcards, and, each time, took them to the concierge desk for mailing. Each time, whoever was behind the desk told me that the postage to the U.S. was 20 baht each, which I paid in cash. The one I sent to my office just arrived, bearing 13 baht of postage. Now, I can't get terribly excited about 7 baht, but why?

The lobby is huge, with a very high ceiling, grand, and impressive. However, it is the only hotel lobby I've ever been in which has no place to sit near the front doors while waiting for your ride. Seems to me that it would be easy enough to put a sitting area, perhaps including a sofa, a few easy chairs, a large plant or two, near the front door.

Room was fine, more or less. Internet in the room went down on average once/day, for between 2 minutes and four hours.

Also, and I know that this is not in the hotel's control, the taxi touts at the end of the driveway got really old after a couple of days. I almost always prefer to walk and/or take the Skytrain. Every time I walked to the end of the driveway to turn right towards the Skytrain, I was peppered with questions as if by a bargirl or ladyboy, -- "Hello, where you go?" If I wanted a taxi, I would have waited up near the door and asked the doorman to summon one for me. While not in the hotel's control, the fact remains that it doesn't happen at the SGS or WGS.

All in all, it's nice enough, but with a relatively small amount of effort could be much better. The staff needs some re-education, -- the service is far from the warm and attentive Thai style to which I've become accustomed. I'd probably stay here again at the low FT rate, but definitely not at regular price.

That said, kudos to the management for implementing the FT rate and inviting us all to provide comments. Shows me that management cares. It will be interesting to see what response(s) we get, and what, if any, changes are implemented as a result of all of our comments.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Mar 7, 2014 at 1:57 am
Old Sep 20, 2009, 11:14 am

Programs: LH Sen, Starwood Amb, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH

The lobby is huge, with a very high ceiling, grand, and impressive. However, it is the only hotel lobby I've ever been in which has no place to sit near the front doors while waiting for your ride. Seems to me that it would be easy enough to put a sitting area, perhaps including a sofa, a few easy chairs, a large plant or two, near the front door.
Interestingly, a few years ago there used to be a few seats in the lobby where one could wait for the ride. For some mysterious reason the PA management must have decided to remove them.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 11:30 am
Suspended

Also, and I know that this is not in the hotel's control, the taxi tout at the end of the driveway got really old after a couple of days. I almost always prefer to walk and/or take the Skytrain. Every time I walked to the end of the driveway to turn right towards the Skytrain, I was peppered with questions as if by a bargirl or ladyboy, -- "Hello, where you go?" If I wanted a taxi, I would have waited up near the door and asked the doorman to summon one for me. While not in the hotel's control, the fact remains that it doesn't happen at the SGS or WGS.
Have you tried walking out of (or back to) the WGS at night ?
Old Sep 20, 2009, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Sphinx
Interestingly, a few years ago there used to be a few seats in the lobby where one could wait for the ride. For some mysterious reason the PA management must have decided to remove them.
There are still few seats, tables and sofas adjacent to and between Glaz Bar & the dining area but not in the middle or near the hotel's double glass doors.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 9:49 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Also, and I know that this is not in the hotel's control, the taxi tout at the end of the driveway got really old after a couple of days. I almost always prefer to walk and/or take the Skytrain. Every time I walked to the end of the driveway to turn right towards the Skytrain, I was peppered with questions as if by a bargirl or ladyboy, -- "Hello, where you go?" If I wanted a taxi, I would have waited up near the door and asked the doorman to summon one for me. While not in the hotel's control, the fact remains that it doesn't happen at the SGS or WGS.
The first time they ask me if I need a taxi I just say "may ao krap" (~no needed /politely/) and they never ask me a second time. Also, I don't make eye contact with them. It isn't that I'm avoiding it, but it just doesn't happen.

Originally Posted by mario33
Have you tried walking out of (or back to) the WGS at night ?
About 45 times in the past 2 years. Never been approached by a taxi driver, only seen them slow down to see if you are looking for a ride. Also never been approached by the SWs as I simply don't make eye contact.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.