Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Hotel email address: [email protected]
OR: [email protected]
Lounge: [email protected]

Le Royal Club Benefits + Facilities (As of Feb 20, 2019)

Print Wikipost

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2009, 11:03 am

Programs: SPG & CO Plat.
Originally Posted by OnAMileHigh
I checked into the PA today and frankly do not see what all the fuss is about. First, I came here from the SGS where as an SPG Gold on an award stay had an upgraded room, free breakfast, free Internet, 3-piece laundry service, late check out and comp drinks in the evening. At the PA I was informed that my SPG Gold status entitled me to 3 SPG points per $ and a room on the SPG floor. That's it. ...?

So far I have found the staff to be cool if not aloof. Service at the pool was non-existant today until I went searching for a server. Location wise the PA is in a quieter area so that is plus but I do not see why people rave about this property. Did I just arrive on a bad day? What am i missing about this property that every one seems to rave about? As an SPG Gold the SGS is a much better value. I am seriously considering decamping back to the SGS for the remainder of my stay in BKK.
Hi OnAMileHigh, sorry to hear you had a less than fantastic experience. To answer your question about why people rave about the PA, for me the answer is simple: my stays are the opposite of what you experienced. I have plat status and am batting 100% on upgrades (though I know that streak will eventually end) and find the staff extremely friendly. Heck, sometimes six months will go by between my stays and some of the staff will still remember my name before I've even checked in. I'm also a low-maintenance guest. I usually wave off the door attendant, if possible, and will walk to the street to call my own taxi.

The lounge staff are very friendly and helpful. There is one young lady who jokingly tries to teach me how to order drinks in Thai - it's a small thing, but something that makes the stay pleasant for me. I like the breakfast in the morning and enjoy the grand nature of the lobby.

I recently stayed at the SGS and must admit it was nicer than my previous visit, nonetheless I missed the PA. I just feel more at ease staying there.

This issue of comfort likely comes from exposure. The PA has always been more economical and typically has C&P availability, so it's often what is best for my budget.

Finally, what really won me over was how gracious the staff was during the airport closures. The concierge, whom I use routinely, was so very patient and helpful.

Give her another try, I'm confident you'll have a better experience.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 4:47 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Question Expired Offers!

Why so many expired promos on Plaza Athénée Bangkok's hotel offers webpage?

2 Nights are better than 1 is valid for bookings made from now until July 31, 2009.

Eat + Drink = Stay Free Offer valid until August 31, 2009.

Weekend Special with Sunday Brunch for arrival on Friday or Saturday until August 31, 2008.

http://specialoffers.starwoodhotels....SOP_US_MD_1846
Old Sep 21, 2009, 7:57 pm
Company Representative -Le Meridien Plaza Athenee Bangkok

Originally Posted by Kalboz
Why so many expired promos on Plaza Athénée Bangkok's hotel offers webpage?

2 Nights are better than 1 is valid for bookings made from now until July 31, 2009.

Eat + Drink = Stay Free Offer valid until August 31, 2009.

Weekend Special with Sunday Brunch for arrival on Friday or Saturday until August 31, 2008.

http://specialoffers.starwoodhotels....SOP_US_MD_1846
We've been addressing the above with the relevant department - unfortunately, there are some technical difficulties that are proving to delay the updating of our Special Offers Page.

Hopefully we should have everything updated by the end of this week!

Thanks for bearing with us!

Best regards,
Plaza Athenee, BKK (Starwood)
Old Sep 21, 2009, 10:27 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Thank you Plaza Athenee, BKK (Starwood)

For those of you who are in town, the Glaz Bar is having a benefit cocktail promo this wednesday September 23, 2009: http://www.thaipr.net/nc/readnews.as...DF745F6F503D5E

Entrance fee 500 Baht net per person. Part of donations will go to Operation Smile Thailand Foundation, which supports the provision of medical services, equipment and treatment for under-privileged children in Thailand by December 2009. For further information about the foundation, please visit www.operationsmile.org

Date: Wednesday 23 September 2009
Time: 06.30-08.30 pm
Venue: The Glaz Bar, Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridine

For reservations please call 0 2650 8800 ext. 4324
To discover more simply e-mail [email protected],
or visit lemeridien.com/bangkokplazaathenee
Old Sep 22, 2009, 9:16 am

Thank you, Kalboz, for posting the information on our Cocktails and Cones event.

Details can also be found by clicking here.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any promos/deals for October?
Old Oct 1, 2009, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Any promos/deals for October?
Here you go!
Old Oct 2, 2009, 3:33 am

my two cents worth

for those of you wondering what the experience might be like at the PA as a gold guest, here i go:

As many have discussed already, the upgrades are very generous at the PA. when there are rooms, they try to put you there. Even as a gold, I was given a club room albeit without club benefits. Club rooms aren't very different from standard rooms though (from what I saw).

Breakfast is, in my opinion, good but not excellent. I appreciated how some menus changed daily and the eye opener shots are awesome. The only issue is that the raintree café often feels under-staffed when it gets full. Staff are busy busing tables and guests are made to wave a few times before they can get a staff's attention.

Ambiance of the hotel is very good. The lobby is beautiful and the hallways very well kept. The designs are thai & european at the same time and it works. Bathroom amenities plentiful and room service prompt and friendly.

So in all a good hotel for those without screaming high expectations (i.e. those who have just completed suite stays at the SGS…!!)

My one complaint?

The staff are cold and seem careless. I know others have advocated otherwise but that's how I have felt throughout my stay. Some were rude. But on the whole they were accomodating with a few exceptional ones whom I have highlighted to the GM already.

So be ware - although it is a great value hotel, do not expect the SGS type service from here. It does get very busy and some staff are clearly not very enthusiastic about the provision of top class service.

Old Oct 2, 2009, 6:07 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by jaejaez

My one complaint?

The staff are cold and seem careless. I know others have advocated otherwise but that's how I have felt throughout my stay. Some were rude. But on the whole they were accomodating with a few exceptional ones whom I have highlighted to the GM already.

So be ware - although it is a great value hotel, do not expect the SGS type service from here. It does get very busy and some staff are clearly not very enthusiastic about the provision of top class service.

Rude? How would you classify rude? I would be surprised to hear any verbal exchange that could be considered rude there.

Most are professional and business like, they won't go out of their way to make conversation, as a guest I don't want to be hounded with constant, "how are you today sir" etc. However whenever I have engaged with any staff they have always been extremely courteous and professional.

I actually like the way they sit back and don't engage guests with constant questions and conversations while in public spaces of the hotel. Although we all have our preferences for how much staff engages guests with conversation, mine maybe different than yours.

With that said I'm not asking for a specific example of what you thought was rude, but was it in a verbal conversation, or do you just think their businesslike approach is rude?
Old Oct 2, 2009, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by schley
Rude? How would you classify rude?
to be precise, there were two instances that i found the staff to be 'rude'. as always, YMMV. mind you, i've never experienced such at other hotels and so was quite surprised.

1. breakfast @ raintree - i followed the waitress into the restaurant and was given a seat... but i wanted the seat next to it as it was next to the water. i asked if i could have that seat instead and was given a irritated look... cos the table wasn't set up with fork/knife/napkin etc. she had to set it all up before we could sit down. was it too much to ask to have the table be set up so we can sit where we wish to sit?

following this no-big-deal, she continued to serve as poorly. the part i'd define to be 'rude' is when i asked for tea, she brought it over and put it on my table with a relatively loud 'thud'. be reminded that the procedure at PA when u ask for tea is to place it down softly, place the cup in front of the guest and pour it for them... (which is what i was given for all my other days).

2. bellman at the bellboy desk - the most hideous experience ever. after i checked out, i rearranged my bags before getting in a cab to the airport... and was left with one extra plastic bag to throw away. the taxi was waiting to leave so i quickly hopped over to the bellboy's desk with the empty plastic bag (from a nearby dept store) and handed it over saying "would u throw this away for me?"... to which the man (around his 40s) sat there staring at me. he then mumbled some words to himself in thai (which, funnily enough, i could tell weren't nice words) while continuing to stare at me. i took back the plastic bag and brought it with me to the airport and disposed of it there.

maybe i'm missing something here? is it considered v. rude to ask someone to throw something away for you? but then, how come when u do it at a nearby 7-11 they happily oblige?

don't get me wrong, i stil enjoyed my stay.. but i think u'd agree with me that the two revolting experience are worth branding as 'rude'.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 5:30 pm

My experience in Thailand has typically been very different. I find Thais to be extremely gracious and polite, whether they're selling bootleg DVDs or working on a high end hotel.

Even when they're not 100% thrilled with what they're doing, they still smile at you (as insincere as it may be at times), but never rude. But then again, not everyone is the same.

I do, however, notice from the posts here that PA staff seems not to be as polished at other staff at high end Bangkok hotels.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 3:45 am

Programs: UA LT 1K HYglob Marr LT Titanium
Over the last year I have had numurous stays at the PA always with lounge access.
I do see why there are/were were complaints when it comes to staff being aloof.
But over the last 2-3 months there is a general improvment of staff members attitude and general willingness to help out when it is needed.

Lobby staff can still be hit and miss.Especially to new guests.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 3:13 am

All comments made are taken to heart, and we continuously work on try and improving our service to meet and exceed your expectations.

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I wrote some postcards, and, each time, took them to the concierge desk for mailing. Each time, whoever was behind the desk told me that the postage to the U.S. was 20 baht each, which I paid in cash. The one I sent to my office just arrived, bearing 13 baht of postage. Now, I can't get terribly excited about 7 baht, but why?
To be honest, we've had a look into this and we can't seem to figure our why only a THB 13 postage was placed on the post card - we have always been instructed by the post office that the cost of a post card to the US was THB 20.

Best regards,
Old Oct 14, 2009, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Plaza Athenee, BKK (Starwood)
To be honest, we've had a look into this and we can't seem to figure our why only a THB 13 postage was placed on the post card - we have always been instructed by the post office that the cost of a post card to the US was THB 20.

Best regards,
Thanks, Plaza Athenee, BKK (Starwood), both for looking into this relatively (no, very, actually) minor issue and for reporting back. Notwithstanding that I felt your hotel still has some work to do in the service area, your service is definitely a real value add for your hotel, and truly sets the PA apart from your competition. Other hoteliers should take a lesson from the PA. Between you, William and Thyetus, it's almost as if FT members have our own ombudsmen at Starwood dedicated to assisting us.

Again, thank you.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:29 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Plaza Athenee, BKK (Starwood)
All comments made are taken to heart, and we continuously work on try and improving our service to meet and exceed your expectations.

Best regards,
It's great see you and PA have an active interest here on FT ^ and is willing to listen to a small but particular group of current (and future) guests.

I would say from my recent experience (17-19 September) that the PA service is Ok however it needs quite a bit of improvement. In particular at the Raintree Cafe I found that the chefs were unfriendly and would often ignore me, even though I could be standing waiting to place an order. And when they did finally come around to serve, there was no greeting or smile.

Also when the breakfast rush starts - there is just not enough waiters to keep up with the rush. In one case I had to ask three different waiters/ress regarding my coffee order but then I realised they were so busy that if I was in the same situation I'd probably forget as well.

Front desk & porters / doormen were good all round - so no complaints there.

And the staff at the club lounge were good and helpful, esp that european guy (I forgot his name unfortunately).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.