Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in San Francisco

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wcj1
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.

Below is a list of hotels Marriott has listed for San Francisco. Where there is a specific "Master" threads for a hotel, the name is a link to that thread:

Luxury:
St Regis San Francisco
Ritz Carlton San Francisco

Full Service:
W Hotel San Francisco
JW Marriott Union Square San Francisco
San Francisco Marriott Union Square
San Francisco Marriott Marquis
San Francisco Marriott Fisherman's Wharf
Marriott SoMA Mission Bay [San Francisco]
[GONE] Park Central (was Westin Market Street) San Francisco (rebranded as Hyatt)
Westin St. Francis, San Francisco
Westin SFO San Francisco Airport
Palace Hotel, San Francisco
Le Meridien Hotel San Francisco
San Francisco Proper, Design Hotel
Adagio Hotel, Autograph Collection (San Francisco, CA)
[GONE] Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco (re-branded as Riu Plaza San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf as of 12NOV19 - see post 134 in thread)
AC Hotel San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront

Limited Service:
Courtyard San Francisco Downtown/Van Ness Ave
Courtyard San Francisco Union Square
Courtyard San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront
Courtyard San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf
Courtyard San Francisco Downtown
Four Points by Sheraton SFO San Francisco Airport
aloft San Francisco Airport (Millbrae) SFO

Extended Stay:
Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront

Timeshare:
Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, San Francisco

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2022, 1:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Originally Posted by mildfrequence
I think I've said it before but I quite like the Adagio.
The larger rooms (not even suites) that you are darn near certain to get at this point as a plat+ are sneaky nice for the area and pricepoint. And I haven't even tried that breakfast perk lol
It was better pre-covid, but its still pretty good. I really strongly prefer a freshly cooked breakfast like Adagio gives you v. buffets with weird eggs most places give you (unless I'm in a rush in the AM, but that's a me problem). I've pretty much switched my business to them from the Marquis. The Marquis never does upgrades best I can tell, and they still haven't reopened the lounge. This is despite the fact that I much prefer to stay near Market because of transit access and my general destinations. I don't stay at the nicer and more expensive properties because I'm either travelling for work, where state rate is an issue, and if I'm not travelling for work, I'm there for 1 night for a concert, so really I just need a bed and paying extra for things I won't use doesn't make sense.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 12:17 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by Michilander
We have an upcoming trip to San Francisco and are looking at the Marriott Union Square, Westin St Frances and Marquis. Any recent experiences with any of these? Thanks.
Marriott Union Square is the most normal and boring but probably the safest choice. Marquis sounds like they are still penny-pinching on Elite benefits. St. Francis could be seen as dated by some, but I really enjoyed my stay late last year (even in the more dated Tower).

The two Marriotts have better beds than the Westin, but I would likely go for Union Square to avoid the hassle at the Marquis. US still has the potential for good views in the corner rooms - but basically no suites. US breakfast was in the lounge during the week and buffet downstairs on weekends a couple of months ago. St Francis was take-out cafe during the week and buffet on weekends. Marquis sounds like it's just take-out.

St. Francis is the most interesting property - the Tower elevators combined with the historical feel of the Landmark building make for a great and unique experience. I'd stay there at least once, but again, the safest choice for being pleased is likely the Union Square Marriott.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 9:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
St. Francis is the most interesting property - the Tower elevators combined with the historical feel of the Landmark building make for a great and unique experience. I'd stay there at least once, but again, the safest choice for being pleased is likely the Union Square Marriott.
I think that's right. If you win the room assignment lotto, there are some nice rooms at St. Francis (I like the older ones with high ceilings) but Union Square is safest. The Marquis is a convention property, I dislike it intensely.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 9:11 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Marriott Union Square is the most normal and boring but probably the safest choice. Marquis sounds like they are still penny-pinching on Elite benefits. St. Francis could be seen as dated by some, but I really enjoyed my stay late last year (even in the more dated Tower).

The two Marriotts have better beds than the Westin, but I would likely go for Union Square to avoid the hassle at the Marquis. US still has the potential for good views in the corner rooms - but basically no suites. US breakfast was in the lounge during the week and buffet downstairs on weekends a couple of months ago. St Francis was take-out cafe during the week and buffet on weekends. Marquis sounds like it's just take-out.

Originally Posted by Kacee
I think that's right. If you win the room assignment lotto, there are some nice rooms at St. Francis (I like the older ones with high ceilings) but Union Square is safest. The Marquis is a convention property, I dislike it intensely.
Thanks for the intel. I have booked Union Square.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 9:14 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Completely agree with all thoughts on the Marquis with one exception -- the fitness center there is the best in SF for Marriott - at least to me!
Old Apr 18, 2022, 11:57 am

100% agree, St Francis has the biggest variability, Union Square is extremely consistent, and Marquis is a giant warehouse.
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 12:02 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
100% agree, St Francis has the biggest variability, Union Square is extremely consistent, and Marquis is a giant warehouse.
One other positive point of credit for St. Francis, though - I found the service to be very good, even for such a large hotel. My check-in agent got me some towels to dry off when I arrived in the middle of a large rainstorm and walked me through the available upgrade choices in both the Landmark and Tower buildings (pros and cons of each with better views in the Tower, but more recently renovated rooms in the Landmark building). If I remember correctly, the housekeeping staff was also quite friendly when I passed them in the halls.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 7:24 pm

various destination fees/rate rule changes in SF

I need a single night in SF this summer and was looking at the Marquis (I know some here don't like it, but we do) and I noticed this new thing on the rate page:
A daily destination fee of USD 25 plus tax will be added to the room rate and includes USD 25 food and beverage credit, enhanced Wi-Fi and more.

That's disappointing and will make it less likely for us to stay in the future.

I'm now clicking around and haven't stayed at the Marriott Union Square yet, but I don't remember this from before:
A daily destination fee of USD 25 plus tax will be added to the room rate and includes a food and beverage credit, 2 cable car tickets and more.

I don't ever look at the Marriott Fisherman's Wharf (until now) and:
A daily destination fee of USD 20 plus tax will be added to the room rate and includes activities, discounts, Internet and more.

The Westin St Francis notes an early departure fee of one night + tax (which I think is new). Same with the St Regis, Palace (we stayed there the last time and were underwhelmed), W, Ritz, Le Meridien, Clancy, Marriott Oakland City Center...

I'm weary of clicking through and this downhill slide in property changes.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
The early departure fees are perhaps justifiable if disclosed.

Yet with those San Francisco properties adding destination fees, we are getting Bonvyed left and right!
Old Jul 4, 2022, 2:40 pm

Stayed at the Marriott Union Square as Marriott Gold for 1 night using FNA 35K + 15k Points. Wanted to check in but we subject to $50 charge so I passed. The room was ready by the 4pm check in. I mainly booked this place bc of the added perks of the daily destination fee of USD 25 plus tax that includes a $25 food and beverage credit and 2 cable car tickets.

the $25 beverage and food credit can be used at the breakfast buffet ($30 per person) or in the evening at Bin 480, the hotel lounge and bar. Just note the additional fees of tax and 18% service charge. I ordered drinks at Bin 480 and then enjoyed in the room.

the 2 cable car ticket vouchers ($8 value each) are offered at check in and had no trouble redeeming them. The cable car stops are conveniently in front of the hotel. Also the Hyde Cable Car stops near Ghirardelli Square. Svae the cable car vouchers to get 10% discount on purchase at tickets can save 10% on purchases at Ghirardelli.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 2:40 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Hi everyone, I would be grateful for some advice. My girlfriend and I are visiting SF for the first time in August this year. I am looking for recommendations for a property that is convenient for the main tourist attractions and is in a safe area (we have heard some things about the increasing homelessness and drug crime in SF, which is sad and a little worrying).

I have a good rate at the Adagio but I have heard the property isn’t in the best area and there are currently some renovations going on at the hotel, which may be noisy.

I am not massively constrained by budget but would ideally not pay more than $400 a night. Priorities are a good, safe location and access to a decent gym (this could also be near the hotel rather than in it). Good air conditioning and sound proofing are also appreciated. I am Marriott Ambassador, so good elite treatment would be nice but I never expect this in the USA tbh.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 6:06 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
If the lack of a lounge is not important and location is, I wouldn't rule out the Marriott Fisherman's Wharf. We got a decent if not overwhelming suite upgrade there, it seemed "safer" than other locations downtown (tried 4 in total) and anywhere we needed was easy access by tram or cable car. It is close to the "must-see" sights for first time visitors and decent restaurants. There was nothing really wrong with the others and I'd certainly recommend The Clancy (former Courtyard Downtown) for service and proximity to the ballpark, although further from the touristy stuff.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by yyzflyer
If the lack of a lounge is not important and location is, I wouldn't rule out the Marriott Fisherman's Wharf. We got a decent if not overwhelming suite upgrade there, it seemed "safer" than other locations downtown (tried 4 in total) and anywhere we needed was easy access by tram or cable car. It is close to the "must-see" sights for first time visitors and decent restaurants. There was nothing really wrong with the others and I'd certainly recommend The Clancy (former Courtyard Downtown) for service and proximity to the ballpark, although further from the touristy stuff.
I'd agree with Fisherman's Wharf on location - haven't stayed there, so can't comment on the property - due to proximity to North Beach with good Italian and the beautiful hills around Coit Tower. For sub-$400 and the general unpleasantness of Downtown aside, I'd recommend the Palace as you'll fall out of STR range at that price. I didn't even get an upgrade there and really enjoyed the comfort and quiet of my standard room facing a brick courtyard (they would have upgraded me had there been availability and had I not checked in at 8 AM). Common areas are beautiful, too.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 8:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Radiation Station
Hi everyone, I would be grateful for some advice. My girlfriend and I are visiting SF for the first time in August this year. I am looking for recommendations for a property that is convenient for the main tourist attractions and is in a safe area (we have heard some things about the increasing homelessness and drug crime in SF, which is sad and a little worrying).

I have a good rate at the Adagio but I have heard the property isn’t in the best area and there are currently some renovations going on at the hotel, which may be noisy.

I am not massively constrained by budget but would ideally not pay more than $400 a night. Priorities are a good, safe location and access to a decent gym (this could also be near the hotel rather than in it). Good air conditioning and sound proofing are also appreciated. I am Marriott Ambassador, so good elite treatment would be nice but I never expect this in the USA tbh.
The Palace would be okay, though you'll likely have some street people in the vicinity, and no views. RC would also be worth considering. The Union Square/SOMA options can all be a bit gritty. If you're not wed to Marriott, the HR probably has the best location for a visitor, though it's nothing special particularly from a service perspective (and some of the rooms can be a bit loud). Another option would be the new FS Embarcadero in the former Mandarin/Loew's space (with stunning views).

As a local, I have a knee jerk negative reaction to the wharf. That's the TS of SF. Also, I wouldn't be worried so much about crime, just observe normal big city precautions. The homeless situation is totally out of control though.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 8:28 am

The Palace would be okay, though you'll likely have some street people in the vicinity, and no views. RC would also be worth considering. The Union Square/SOMA options can all be a bit gritty. If you're not wed to Marriott, the HR probably has the best location for a visitor, though it's nothing special particularly from a service perspective (and some of the rooms can be a bit loud). Another option would be the new FS Embarcadero in the former Mandarin/Loew's space (with stunning views).

As a local, I have a knee jerk negative reaction to the wharf. That's the TS of SF. Also, I wouldn't be worried so much about crime, just observe normal big city precautions. The homeless situation is totally out of control though.
I don't disagree with the thought that SF honestly isn't that bad - I have only ever seen one fight where a food delivery driver in SoMA started assaulting a homeless person and acting like a ridiculous "macho" man. Otherwise, it's pretty easy to tell who could be hostile and just avoid them, in my experience. As for the Wharf, I agree - the actual Wharf isn't anything fun or special, but I always walk by the Marriott when I'm in North Beach/Little Italy, so it seems like a good location if you just go the other direction. One other thought - there is the Le Meridien in the Embarcadero (same complex as the HR, but further from the water) - this used to be the Park Hyatt many years back, and I haven't stayed. It could be a good option for Marriott in that (definitely better) location as it doesn't seem to get terrible reviews the last time I checked. FS Embarcadero was stunning because of the views, but the F&B at room service back in 2021 was abysmal (hopefully, they finally opened a real restaurant).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.