Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RogerD408
If you want to keep your SPG number, start here: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mer...mi?program=spg

If you want to keep your Rewards number, start here: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mer...ogram=marriott

New spg.com accepts a max password of 20 characters while legacy website accepted 24 characters.
If your legacy SPG password exceeds 20 characters, you will not be able to login as the 21st character and beyond is truncated. Reset password functionality may also fail. If you see following after attempting to reset password, call SPG to obtain your new SPG# and then return to spg.com to perform a password reset.

Please correct the following and try again.
The Account has been transfered to another Account
* Hot info /Jan. 03, 2019 *
Log into here with your logon credentials of your combined account to see from the top right corner slider if or if not your account already shows that you have been successfully grandfathered into LTPPE status!

Warning: It seems this only works for those that a able to make a choice, as it doesn't work for me.
Print Wikipost

Combine Accounts Update

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Just got two more emails encouraging me to combine my accounts. Grrrrr, MR should not be encouraging this until the bugs are fixed.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:47 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, CO Emeritus, United kettle, Ural Airlines Wings, Hilton, National
So what is this like a month since this started?
  1. It initially acted like I combined accounts, but then it always takes me through to SPG and shows no stays/points.
  2. I keep getting emails asking me to combine accounts.
  3. I am unable to "combine" accounts again as it just errors out on the password and always acts like it is resetting the SPG account instead of Marriott.
  4. The three Marriott stays I have had in the last month all showed up briefly and then disappeared.
  5. I now have a message that Marriott will drop my old miles (I guess it sees all my points somewhere?) in five days as I have not stayed with them? (I use them for business every other week)
I am about done here. I will call up into the queue and see how they do at fixing this, but unless the response is spectacular I will be moving most of my business to another program. I have a lot of Hyatt and Hilton options, and this is getting preposterous. I think people should be fired at this point. .
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Just got two more emails encouraging me to combine my accounts. Grrrrr, MR should not be encouraging this until the bugs are fixed.
Yes, I got a message from Marriott to combine my accounts yesterday. Not the first. Funny thing is they have all been from Marriott (to the email in my Marriott account) and not from SPG (different email). Obviously they believe I have both accounts otherwise why combine? I was getting ready to pull the trigger and combine, but I think I will wait a bit longer.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did they issue a new number after you had already been assigned a number as part of the merger or just something different than your SPG from before the merger? Can you find the rez by confirmation number? What account info does it show?
As far as I know, the new number was issued during the process of merging, which I started from the SPG side. It may have been issued earlier, but I was not aware.

Now I still have two separate accounts, though both have the same email and password. If I log in from the Marriott page, it defaults to my original Marriott account, with only those points and reservations. If I log in from the SPG page, it defaults to my SPG account (with the new #), and shows my points that were converted from Starpoints (the vast majority) and a Westin reservation. I use the actual account #s to log-in (vs. the email), I can log in to either account from either site.

Clearly the accounts aren't merged on the system, even though I went through the process twice and got confirmation both times that it was complete.

But it hasn't been 24 hours yet, so we'll see...
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by ijgordon
As far as I know, the new number was issued during the process of merging, which I started from the SPG side. It may have been issued earlier, but I was not aware.

Now I still have two separate accounts, though both have the same email and password. If I log in from the Marriott page, it defaults to my original Marriott account, with only those points and reservations. If I log in from the SPG page, it defaults to my SPG account (with the new #), and shows my points that were converted from Starpoints (the vast majority) and a Westin reservation. I use the actual account #s to log-in (vs. the email), I can log in to either account from either site.

Clearly the accounts aren't merged on the system, even though I went through the process twice and got confirmation both times that it was complete.

But it hasn't been 24 hours yet, so we'll see...
Ok, does sound like the combination did not take for whatever reason. Supposedly, from their postings the abandoned account gets deactivated as soon as the combination completes with some transactions taking up to 48-72 hours to move over. If it was me, I'd try to update my profile to see if the system truly sees the other account as still active. If it does, and it's important to you to have the accounts combined, I'd be on the phone to MPG to see what's going on and hope I get a better informed/engaged CSR. There are still changes happening so your account could be in progress and the system doesn't know it. Also, keep in mind CSRs only see the back office servers and that may not match what we see online. A future sweep should resolve the difference.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Yes, I got a message from Marriott to combine my accounts yesterday. Not the first. Funny thing is they have all been from Marriott (to the email in my Marriott account) and not from SPG (different email). Obviously they believe I have both accounts otherwise why combine? I was getting ready to pull the trigger and combine, but I think I will wait a bit longer.
Same here. I must have gotten some 10+ such emails already. On the one side, I would like to get this done with. OTOH, I am still hesitant, given all the issues reported.
However, I do have a stay coming up in two weeks and I am wondering, if I should combine before that?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Same here. I must have gotten some 10+ such emails already. On the one side, I would like to get this done with. OTOH, I am still hesitant, given all the issues reported.
However, I do have a stay coming up in two weeks and I am wondering, if I should combine before that?
The question is will the combination of your accounts get you a higher status than the one used to book the stay? If yes, then you should combine your accounts and make sure it gets refreshed with your new status. If you will not get any added benefits by combining, then holding off for a while should be ok.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: Delta basic after Gold; HHonors, Diamond; Marriott/SPG Plat; IHG/PCR Plat; Avis, Hertz
My merger profile looks accurate (status, points, stays, etc.); however, my reservation info online does not match the app.

For an upcoming JW stay, which I booked for 3 adults, the app says it is for 1 when I just completed online check-in. I then looked online, and my online res says 6 adults! Contacted the hotel, and they have the correct info, like my confirmation email: 3 adults.

Looked up my next stay on the app to get the address for my GPS (SPG booked), and the rate showing is $50 more than the rate I booked! This res is showing online on the Marriott site, so I checked the details there, and that price is correct.

Until things get on track, I suppose I will printing or otherwise saving confirmation details at the time of booking...
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by Derrico
So what is this like a month since this started?
  1. It initially acted like I combined accounts, but then it always takes me through to SPG and shows no stays/points.
  2. I keep getting emails asking me to combine accounts.
  3. I am unable to "combine" accounts again as it just errors out on the password and always acts like it is resetting the SPG account instead of Marriott.
  4. The three Marriott stays I have had in the last month all showed up briefly and then disappeared.
  5. I now have a message that Marriott will drop my old miles (I guess it sees all my points somewhere?) in five days as I have not stayed with them? (I use them for business every other week)
I am about done here. I will call up into the queue and see how they do at fixing this, but unless the response is spectacular I will be moving most of my business to another program. I have a lot of Hyatt and Hilton options, and this is getting preposterous. I think people should be fired at this point. .
If you are still able to log into two accounts, your "merge accounts" failed. TRANSFER THOSE POINTS NOW. You will lose them, and very likely NOT get them back. . If the 2 accounts are "linked" it is a fairly easy process. GEDEMOUDADER!!!"
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IrisT
My merger profile looks accurate (status, points, stays, etc.); however, my reservation info online does not match the app.

For an upcoming JW stay, which I booked for 3 adults, the app says it is for 1 when I just completed online check-in. I then looked online, and my online res says 6 adults! Contacted the hotel, and they have the correct info, like my confirmation email: 3 adults.

Looked up my next stay on the app to get the address for my GPS (SPG booked), and the rate showing is $50 more than the rate I booked! This res is showing online on the Marriott site, so I checked the details there, and that price is correct.

Until things get on track, I suppose I will printing or otherwise saving confirmation details at the time of booking...
I strongly suggest to ALWAYS keep your email confirmations and never rely upon the website for accurate data. For instance, in just about every case, rate details are kept in a linked list so they don't have to carry all that data for each and every reservation. Should the property decide to change the text of a particular rate code, all attached reservations will show the change. It's much easier to have your confirmation to prove what it was at time of booking rather than only being able to say that's not what it said when I booked the room. It's easy to get confused when you might be booking several stays a week and they all start to blur together, having something reliable to refer to will help greatly.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:18 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
For instance, in just about every case, rate details are kept in a linked list so they don't have to carry all that data for each and every reservation. Should the property decide to change the text of a particular rate code, all attached reservations will show the change. It's much easier to have your confirmation to prove what it was at time of booking rather than only being able to say that's not what it said when I booked the room.
Was the database designed as a high school project? It seems pretty obvious that is going to cause problems, but what you say is what I’ve already seen on points reservations.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete

Was the database designed as a high school project? It seems pretty obvious that is going to cause problems, but what you say is what I’ve already seen on points reservations.
No, it is the result of a much older design being used much longer than maybe it should have been (remember when there was only two digits for year?). There are still some legacy COBOL programs in use today that aren't experiencing issues so there is no incentive to change them to current technology. And the cost of wholesale changes due to age is cost prohibitive. I was part of an initiative to update our scheduling service. IT pushed back because they estimated it would cost over $1M to figure out who owned and needed what was currently running than to just let it run.

I'm not of the mind that this approach is necessarily bad, but what is bad how it's being used. Reusing old codes is fine, but when you don't check to see if it's in use for current transactions is a failure. So as usual, people are the weak link in many systems.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, American Airlines Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I combined my accounts awhile back. Stayed at an SPG property for the first time in awhile (had started staying exclusively at Marriotts way back to hit LTP) week before last. Go to Marriott site to download my receipt to submit the expense to my company, and while the stay shows up under Activity along with all my Marriott stays, there is no Download Now link to get a pdf of the bill. SPG never had that functionality whereas Marriott has had it for a long time, so whatever "integration" they did, it's still two separate systems on the backend and SPG stays don't inherit the Marriott functionality. Sucks.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
I was on hold trying to sort out a stay that never posted, and like a dummy I clicked on combine accounts. That took me to an endless loop of prompts that never confirmed the merger. The CSR came back and said she was trying to straighten out the non-posted stay with the front desk at the hotel and was on hold, so I said, "well I have a new problem." She was able to give me the new spg number, and transfer my spg points, so it started terribly but ended fine. But this is the danger of idle hands... At least the stay posted, and I crossed to Gold, but I'll never get that 40 minutes back.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by OldSchoolConsultant
I combined my accounts awhile back. Stayed at an SPG property for the first time in awhile (had started staying exclusively at Marriotts way back to hit LTP) week before last. Go to Marriott site to download my receipt to submit the expense to my company, and while the stay shows up under Activity along with all my Marriott stays, there is no Download Now link to get a pdf of the bill. SPG never had that functionality whereas Marriott has had it for a long time, so whatever "integration" they did, it's still two separate systems on the backend and SPG stays don't inherit the Marriott functionality. Sucks.
Marriott has now inherited the SPG functionality of sending folios overnight the day of checking out too, so there is hope that the insta-download on the Marriott side may work for SPG hotels soon enough

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.