Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RogerD408
If you want to keep your SPG number, start here: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mer...mi?program=spg

If you want to keep your Rewards number, start here: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mer...ogram=marriott

New spg.com accepts a max password of 20 characters while legacy website accepted 24 characters.
If your legacy SPG password exceeds 20 characters, you will not be able to login as the 21st character and beyond is truncated. Reset password functionality may also fail. If you see following after attempting to reset password, call SPG to obtain your new SPG# and then return to spg.com to perform a password reset.

Please correct the following and try again.
The Account has been transfered to another Account
* Hot info /Jan. 03, 2019 *
Log into here with your logon credentials of your combined account to see from the top right corner slider if or if not your account already shows that you have been successfully grandfathered into LTPPE status!

Warning: It seems this only works for those that a able to make a choice, as it doesn't work for me.
Print Wikipost

Combine Accounts Update

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by tonywush
I wouldn't worry about much, it probably just needs more time. AMEX still sends the points to Marriott using your old SPG number, but Marriott does know which account it is. In their database both your old and new number are pointing to the same person.
So i am in a similar boat.. SPG closed on 8/13... does that mean that my spend from 7/14 - 7/31 is 3:1 and 8/1 - 8/13 is 2:1?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:32 pm

After merging my SPG and Marriott accounts, I was expecting my SPG points from my August Amex statement to show up. Yet, my account is still short and it's been nearly 2 weeks. When is an appropriate time to start prodding Amex?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond for life, Bonvoy Titanium for Life, Delta Million Miler, Delta Platinum
Just successfully merged. Points are correct. Reservations correct. Only shows my 2000+ Marriott lifetime nights. Doesn’t add in my 505 SPG nights
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
So my Marriott account only shows my SPG data. When I try to merge, it says I have 0 reservations on my SPG side....and just throws an error at the end.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I’m upset my LT Plat metal card is now junk!
yeunganson likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:28 pm

I have successfully combined the accounts! Now my SPG account said I have migrated to another account, pointed me to the marriott login. When I try to login to my marriott account, it now said it is having difficulty logging me in, but don't worry they are working on it. Hmmm.... I guess I can still login to my Hyatt and Hilton accounts. ;p
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
Instead of what I'm used to I'm assigned a brand new SPG account number. The whole process seems to be clumsy at the top level (I'm a former IT Senior Administrator and I feel the pain of the low to mid tier guys, they are just doing what are being assigned, I don't blame them for the chaos, but the top planners). What exactly is the goal here? If the goal is one single account, why not push all the SPG and Ritz into Marriott? It's already linked, you literally just need to combined the old SPG/Ritz into the existing Marriott.

Instead, so far as I can tell, they kept the SPG separate, but with Marriott-esque updates, assigned brand new account numbers, and now it's a big mess (so far the ones I've found - lost Life Time Membership status, reservations gone, activities for the past month and a half not posted, and a few minor kinks).

I'm really puzzled that Marriott seems to decided to take a much complicated route when the most direct and expedite route is simply subsumed SPG/Ritz into Marriott. I guess Marriott has decided SPG and Ritz are brands they wanted to keep promoting? Makes no sense.
Pretty self explanatory on that one....."The Marriott Rewards, The Ritz-Carlton Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) names will continue to live on under the new set of unified benefits until a new program name is introduced in 2019."
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
I'm sure it's answered before but can't find the answer:
If we are close to legacy lifetime platinum, does combining our accounts mean we can only qualify using the new lifetime requirements? Or will the system still track towards the legacy rules in addition to the new ones?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Global Entry
Well, I cannot login to either my Ritz Marriott or my SPG account. I thought this was going to take a couple of days but more likely a few weeks to get everyone straightened out. These mergers never seem to go well, you would think by now they would have a better process for this kind of thing.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:58 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mduell
So what do we do? Can't merge accounts without logging in to them.

Also this has some dismal implications for their password management (i.e. they're not hashed).
Confused why the rest of the instructions are not quoted.

If you can’t log using legacy SPG# because SPG password is too long for the new website, you will have to obtain the new SPG# by calling in and resetting password using new SPG#.

Password hash it not a problem, the length of the password field on the UI is limited to 20 characters, it does not mean the field the password is stored behind the scene is less than 20 character.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:04 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by JBord
If this is the worst IT merger ever, you clearly didn't experience the United/Continental merger.
LOL, and we don't even need to go many years back to find a worse merger than Marriott Starwood, and we can stick with hotels. I am assuming that OP did not experience Fairmont/Accor less than 2 months ago. Some things were better, some were worse, but the task for Marriott was several levels more complex as Fairmont only has a handful of hotels and there were no points to deal with.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by awu25
I'm sure it's answered before but can't find the answer:
If we are close to legacy lifetime platinum, does combining our accounts mean we can only qualify using the new lifetime requirements? Or will the system still track towards the legacy rules in addition to the new ones?
It does not preclude it - but as I said earlier today, I can see why one may want to keep them separate in the interim, just for your own sanity. Keep detailed records and screenshot away!
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, United Silver, Hertz Presidents

I'm getting mixed views, so am afraid I'll lose something if I try to merge. My "Overview" in SPG-mode shows I am LTP at the very bottom. When I click through to see the details, however, it hows I have 558 nights, but need 600. Now, I just earned LTP status at SPG prior to the merger, have emails confirming this, it shows on my overview, yet my SPG "Summary" shows me needing 600 nights! It doesn't
t say, 'Hey customer, it's all good, the 600 is only for others. You were already an SPG LTP, so don't worry!' It doesn't say that. That is concern #1 . I'd hate to merge and lose status.

Next is the preview of what is being combined if I merge accounts: note that 'Everything...' in the window below, which shows both accounts side by side, no longer shows my lifetime nights as being 558! Instead, it shows only "62" lifetime nights!! How scary is that?! "Everything..."? Ahhh, not quite :-)

If I were to pull the trigger, and suddenly my 19 years of history were to be rolled back to only 62 nights, I'd have nothing left (if the data merges and the old data is gone), to show for myself, eh?

Because this merge seems so spotty, I am leery that they might not even have things backed up where a call center worker can easily 'see' my details, sans the error.

Who is our advocate? Us, alone, methinks?

Do we just hope our accounts will all magically hash themselves out? I see everyone posting successes, but are there any other potentially unlucky ones out there? Has anyone found similar results to the above? (Didn't mean to hog on this thread. This just seems to be the best one for the question.)

I genuinely hope this all works itself out and that I am just being nervous for no good reason.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:38 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
And in a triumph for technology, after being told my initial consolidation had failed, and then logging in 10 minutes later to find it had been a success (see my previous post), I then logged in an hour later to be invited to start the process all over again. This time however it's sort of a success. My SPG points have been added to my Marriotts balance - but at a 1:1 conversion rate (wasn't this supposed to be 3:1)? My total nights haven't been consolidated BUT my Lifetime Status is now showing correctly, even though adding in my SPG nights made no difference anyway. Clearly a work in progress
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by RTWFF
And in a triumph for technology, after being told my initial consolidation had failed, and then logging in 10 minutes later to find it had been a success (see my previous post), I then logged in an hour later to be invited to start the process all over again. This time however it's sort of a success. My SPG points have been added to my Marriotts balance - but at a 1:1 conversion rate (wasn't this supposed to be 3:1)? My total nights haven't been consolidated BUT my Lifetime Status is now showing correctly, even though adding in my SPG nights made no difference anyway. Clearly a work in progress
No, your SPG points were already converted 3:1 on August 18th during the update. When you combine accounts you are simply adding the Marriott & SPG point balances at that point.

-RM
beltway likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.