Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RogerD408
If you want to keep your SPG number, start here: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mer...mi?program=spg

If you want to keep your Rewards number, start here: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mer...ogram=marriott

New spg.com accepts a max password of 20 characters while legacy website accepted 24 characters.
If your legacy SPG password exceeds 20 characters, you will not be able to login as the 21st character and beyond is truncated. Reset password functionality may also fail. If you see following after attempting to reset password, call SPG to obtain your new SPG# and then return to spg.com to perform a password reset.

Please correct the following and try again.
The Account has been transfered to another Account
* Hot info /Jan. 03, 2019 *
Log into here with your logon credentials of your combined account to see from the top right corner slider if or if not your account already shows that you have been successfully grandfathered into LTPPE status!

Warning: It seems this only works for those that a able to make a choice, as it doesn't work for me.
Print Wikipost

Combine Accounts Update

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
Instead of what I'm used to I'm assigned a brand new SPG account number. The whole process seems to be clumsy at the top level (I'm a former IT Senior Administrator and I feel the pain of the low to mid tier guys, they are just doing what are being assigned, I don't blame them for the chaos, but the top planners). What exactly is the goal here? If the goal is one single account, why not push all the SPG and Ritz into Marriott? It's already linked, you literally just need to combined the old SPG/Ritz into the existing Marriott.

Instead, so far as I can tell, they kept the SPG separate, but with Marriott-esque updates, assigned brand new account numbers, and now it's a big mess (so far the ones I've found - lost Life Time Membership status, reservations gone, activities for the past month and a half not posted, and a few minor kinks).

I'm really puzzled that Marriott seems to decided to take a much complicated route when the most direct and expedite route is simply subsumed SPG/Ritz into Marriott. I guess Marriott has decided SPG and Ritz are brands they wanted to keep promoting? Makes no sense.
What happens to people who didn't link? or didn't have Marriott accounts? The goal here seems to be to phase in the changes, allow spg and MR loyalists to requalify on their individual OR combined plans and eventually roll it into a brand new plan in 2019.

The majority of people having issues here seem to be attempting to rush into combining accounts, counting points and stays the day after the merger etc. all activities that aren't time sensitive. Given that this isn't Dec 30th, why does it matter if your balance is off by a tiny bit for a few extra days for the majority of people?

As a guy in IT/Enterprise systems as well, I have seen far far worse. JMHO
ryw likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
I've not tried to do anything yet. Are there issues? :-)
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
How do I choose the 5 SNA’s? The dialog box that pops up which directs to choice.benefit.marriott.com asks for a user name and password and when I add them the page does not load. Is there somewhere else I should be doing this?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by tasty_chicken
So tried to merge my Marriott account with SPG using incognito mode and I got this error: ...
Close the ICM window, then re-open it and verify you can log into the MR site. Then close it again and verify you can get into the SPG site. Maybe the issue lies in logins?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Just combined with tons of bugs, error messages, impossible to login, etc etc.
Now sounds it's combined but the nights / points / stays / lifetime / reservations / history are all totally wrong...
I can't retrieve my reservations, I can't spend any points and I can't transfer to airline...
Let's hope this will be fixed in the following days.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
I tend to agree... why we still have 2 access (SPG and marriott) and not only one under one merged program?
Very weird and not user friendly at all, it's really messy (and I can't imagine what people that don't follow FT or are kind of travel geeks are feelings when discovering the new stuffs... scary for the least).
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: ua 1k, hh diamond, spg PLT, marriott PLT
If i combine will I get the years as SPG PLT combined with years of MR PLT and if that hits 10 years, will that get my Lifetime Plate Premier, or do i need 750 nights and 10 years in one program only?

Also, if i combine, can i still hit Ambassador the old way via SPG with just 100 nights and not 100 nights + $20K? With that will my MR nights this year count towards that?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius

The majority of people having issues here seem to be attempting to rush into combining accounts, counting points and stays the day after the merger etc. all activities that aren't time sensitive. Given that this isn't Dec 30th, why does it matter if your balance is off by a tiny bit for a few extra days for the majority of people?

As a guy in IT/Enterprise systems as well, I have seen far far worse. JMHO
You're right, for those experiencing issues, patience seems to be critical right now. Too early to judge success or failure as merge activities still seem to be happening. I looked on Sunday and yesterday, and there were still some gaps in my account, but now all is well.

I combined my accounts today (after my post above). I took screen shots of every step, but had no issues. It was clearly messaged during the combine activity that some things would be transferred immediately and some would take up to 48 hours.

I checked after and everything was combined and showing on the site as well as the app. It even added my historical year of SPG status, which gave me 10...I now correctly see that I just need to get about 30+ nights to qualify for LT Platinum (having had no LT status before the merge!).

Not to downplay the issues others are experiencing, but it's been a positive experience for me. I hope it turns out well for everyone else too.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by Old Hickory
I've not tried to do anything yet. Are there issues? :-)
Heh. As someone posted above, "YMMV"- I used a link posted in another thread in incognito mode in Chrome browser and moved my SPG into my MR successfully. All status', points, nights and lifetime totals are correct, and I even made a points reservation. Even my upcoming stays merged properly.

... but that's just me; there's been unlucky souls who've had issues from "upcoming stays missing" all the way down to "Bill Marriott stole my dog"
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
I merged today since I was hoping that would trigger a bump to Lifetime Plat Premier based on the combined qualifications of 750 nights + 10 years Platinum, but while I am way over those requirements with the combined counts (as reflected correctly on my merged account) I did not get bumped up yet -- which is what Marriott said would happen (ie no sweep till Jan 18). I was hoping it happened early

It took about 4 hours for my SPG reservations to show up on my new Marriott account. Every so often it disappears. Otherwise everything went fine with the merger and I uninstalled the SPG app from my phone. So long Starwood!
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
I was finally able to combine the accounts after numerous failures --- it worked in a chrome incognito window. I'm sad that I can no longer see my lifetime points as combining took me to 3041 nights and right at 10,000,000 lifetime points.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Still unable to combine. I also give up.
RTWFF likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:23 pm

To add to the bugs. It says I can’t combine because the names of both accounts don’t match. On screen:

Marriott - my name is entirely blank!
SPG - my correct name is shown

Seems when they did the data transfer to the combine tool, they totally omitted my name!!

Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:29 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
I've been trying to combine since the site went live, no luck. It says my name doesn't match. I've called me ambassadors on both sides, nobody knows how to fix it. It's not a huge deal other than I'd like to just get it over with.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:30 pm

On the summary screen when merging, the lifetime nights to be merged (both sides) are just this years nights, it doesn't show lifetime totals. Is that what everybody else is seeing?

Summary screen says 32 SPG LT nights and 2 Marriott LT nights, which are this years totals only. (If totals were actual LT nights, should show 650+ and 250+)

Odd.

-David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.