Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RogerD408
If you want to keep your SPG number, start here: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mer...mi?program=spg

If you want to keep your Rewards number, start here: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mer...ogram=marriott

New spg.com accepts a max password of 20 characters while legacy website accepted 24 characters.
If your legacy SPG password exceeds 20 characters, you will not be able to login as the 21st character and beyond is truncated. Reset password functionality may also fail. If you see following after attempting to reset password, call SPG to obtain your new SPG# and then return to spg.com to perform a password reset.

Please correct the following and try again.
The Account has been transfered to another Account
* Hot info /Jan. 03, 2019 *
Log into here with your logon credentials of your combined account to see from the top right corner slider if or if not your account already shows that you have been successfully grandfathered into LTPPE status!

Warning: It seems this only works for those that a able to make a choice, as it doesn't work for me.
Print Wikipost

Combine Accounts Update

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by cjw2001
Merged my accounts with no issue using an incognito chrome window. The new combined point total is not yet showing up in the normal desktop web browser logon but does show on the mobile app. Will give it some time to catch up on desktop.
Correct point total now showing on desktop browser logon.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by forecheck
No, I meant on the combine page. My lifetime nights are actually my current year to date nights. I didn't go any farther than this screen to see if it changed.

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
On the summary screen when merging, the lifetime nights to be merged (both sides) are just this years nights, it doesn't show lifetime totals. Is that what everybody else is seeing?

Summary screen says 32 SPG LT nights and 2 Marriott LT nights, which are this years totals only. (If totals were actual LT nights, should show 650+ and 250+)
I just combined my DW's accounts & saw the same incorrect "Lifetime nights" label on the YTD nights numbers. (FWIW, did this from the SPG side, i.e., to retain SPG account number.) Once the combination was complete, however, the account showed correct info both for YTD nights and for lifetime nights.

In other words, false alarm. It's just a bad label & not an indication that the data is mangled for your account, forecheck and LIH Prem.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Merged my accounts successfully The merge does seem to trigger an update to LT status (except LTPP). Neither my MR nor my SPG accounts were showing LT status (I had LTG with SPG) until I combined accounts. The combined MR now shows LTP based on my 1033 combined nights and 18 years of Plat. I expect that the sweep in Jan will get me LTPP (although with the reports that LTPP only gets you Plat benefits, I'm not sure it matters).

Notes: I did not use an incognito browser tab when merging. I had accessed both accounts with the same browser prior to combining. Both accounts used the same email address (different passwords). I saw the current year nights labeled as "lifetime", but the numbers were correct for this year. All numbers look correct after combining (except I think it still shows an extra Plat year from the SPG side. Not sure where that came from). When logging in now, I get a message "Congratulations for combining your accounts" instead of the "Combine your accounts" message.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
In other words, false alarm. It's just a bad label & not an indication that the data is mangled for your account, forecheck and LIH Prem.
Thanks .. the merge fails for me regardless of direction anyway.

-David
RTWFF likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I tried merging starting with one of the links in the FAQ. It did not work. It failed with a vague error message after asking me for logins for both my legacy MR and SPG accounts. Subsequently I logged in to my Marriott account to see what happened, and was prompted with a "Combine Your Accounts" screen. When I went through the steps with that, it did work. I recommend against anyone starting with the links above. Instead log in to the account you prefer to use and follow the prompts from there.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I can neither combine my accounts (not rolled out yet) nor login to my SPG account (password too long).

Uh, bang up job, guys.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I tried merging starting with one of the links in the FAQ. It did not work. It failed with a vague error message after asking me for logins for both my legacy MR and SPG accounts. Subsequently I logged in to my Marriott account to see what happened, and was prompted with a "Combine Your Accounts" screen. When I went through the steps with that, it did work. I recommend against anyone starting with the links above. Instead log in to the account you prefer to use and follow the prompts from there.
I got the same prompt when logging in. Tried all the steps and still get the same "unable to combine." Hilarious Marriott, you friggin' idiots!
RTWFF likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
FINALLY got the accounts to merge but no clue what I did differently for this last try. However, I cannot add/change the cc in profile (could not before merging in the last few days nor after merging today). While I can use different cc tomorrow at check in, I'd like it changed on the account so there are no accidental charges to cc currently in profile. Annoying.

Also, while my points have merged, my upcoming stays haven't. Hope this isn't a problem tomorrow (my Sheraton rez seems to have fallen off everywhere).

And...don't forget to check you Amex offers for SPG $60 off $300. Expires in Sept.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I just successfully merged. Lifetime status updated no problem, points, etc.

One thing I would note - when you go to login to combine the accounts, it says do not use the pre-populated info - and this is true. When I used the pre-populated info the login failed. When I cleared it and retyped it, it worked fine.
osotoc likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:31 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, DL FO
I merged, but my one reservation from SPG did not get transferred over to my account. It's not for a couple months, so I'm not too worried about it yet, but I'll check back in a few days to see if it shows up. Points and nights seem to have come across as expected.

Still waiting for my nights and points to post from my stay last week though.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
If your legacy SPG password exceeds 20 characters, you will not be able to login as the 21st character and beyond is truncated. Reset password functionality may also fail.
So what do we do? Can't merge accounts without logging in to them.

Also this has some dismal implications for their password management (i.e. they're not hashed).
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:04 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Thank god - I thought it was only me

Update: when I log back in 10 minutes later I get "Congratulations on merging your accounts" - ...

Last edited by RTWFF; Aug 21, 2018 at 5:25 pm
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
I know this has probably been asked a million times but I couldn't find the answer. I was only 2 stays away from becoming SPG platinum but my account says 41 nights. Does anybody know if the 2019 deadline still applies to earn SPG Plat?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by chuck1
I go through the process but before I hit confirm I get these errors:
-SPG plus Marriott lifetime nights are both this years nights only
-It leaves out one of the bookings on the SPG side
-I hit confirm anyone and then I get an error message that says cannot merge at this time
I'm in a similar boat. Setting aside the first item (which is apparently a typo or something), the Marriott side is missing all of my pending reservations, and the SPG side is missing one of them -- both in the combination process window and on the individual websites when I try to click on "My Trips."

At the end of the combination process when I hit confirm, I get the error message that merging can't happen at this time, too. I've tried it three times.

I wonder if it's tied to the reservations not yet showing up properly on the Marriott Rewards and SPG websites, and on the final merge check, it fails. Speculation only.

(I know the actual reservations are still okay, because I can look them up by confirmation numbers.)
Old Aug 21, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Both programs included (not necessarily limited to?) nine-digit account numbers, so presumably there was the prospect of overlap. There would be different ways to approach this issue - one would be to set up a block of SPG account numbers known to not overlap with anything on the MR side, and do a temporary migration to that space. It's literally just mouse clicks for the end user and then completely thrown away and forgotten, so I certainly don't hold anything against them for taking such an approach (assuming my educated guess here is anywhere near correct).
smc333 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.