Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RogerD408
If you want to keep your SPG number, start here: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mer...mi?program=spg

If you want to keep your Rewards number, start here: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mer...ogram=marriott

New spg.com accepts a max password of 20 characters while legacy website accepted 24 characters.
If your legacy SPG password exceeds 20 characters, you will not be able to login as the 21st character and beyond is truncated. Reset password functionality may also fail. If you see following after attempting to reset password, call SPG to obtain your new SPG# and then return to spg.com to perform a password reset.

Please correct the following and try again.
The Account has been transfered to another Account
* Hot info /Jan. 03, 2019 *
Log into here with your logon credentials of your combined account to see from the top right corner slider if or if not your account already shows that you have been successfully grandfathered into LTPPE status!

Warning: It seems this only works for those that a able to make a choice, as it doesn't work for me.
Print Wikipost

Combine Accounts Update

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by frequentjohn
Thank you for all the tips previously posted. I have tried using the direct link; incognito mode; dumping cache; and logging on from a PC, iPad and mobile device. I can only get to the second step (logging into my spg account) before I get an error ("Unable to Sign In. This service is temporarily unavailable. But don't worry, we're on it. Please try again later.").

My challenge is I can no longer access my SPG reservations. When I go to SPG.com, it automatically redirects me to marriott.com where my only my Marriott reservations show up. I am travelling tomorrow and I cannot see the reservation although I verified manually with the hotel. I am also trying to book a stay for next week and use a SNA but I cant do that from marriott.com

Does anyone have any other ideas? I have opened a support case with Marriott but who knows when I will hear back.

I am wondering if it doesn't work for me because I was lifetime Platinum with both programs pre-merger (Marriott with 1,231 nights and Starwood with 568 nights).
Did you try to log on your SPG account with your SPG number, instead of email address? Usually the pop up window will give you a new MAR number and you could log on your SPG account from there. Or, try using SPG app (update it first).
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
I did not see the combine option on my account but did use the link directly to start the process. I used my new SPG/Marriott # on the second login (rather than enter my email address again -- I feel that's confusing since both of my accounts had the same email but different passwords) and then the process worked just fine. I am still Platinum Elite (lifetime) but my new totals of almost 900 nights and 17 years as Platinum hopefully means that next year I'll get that grandfathered Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite. So combining does re-calculate this year's status, but I don't think it recalculates lifetime status -- or at least it didn't for me, and maybe only for the 'special' one time Platinum Premier level.

EDIT: Even though it said reservations come up immediately my SPG reservations do not show under my Marriott account yet (my points & nights did combine immediately)
seanp7 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:39 am

I went to merge, but my SPG account shows a zero point balance, both on the profile page and in the merge account details. The YTD nights is correct and all the activity is there, so I'm not sure what happened to the points...

Is anyone else having this problem?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Combining my accounts went smoothly for the most part. Marriott reservations all show up, my 2 SPG ones do not yet. I'm missing 3 nights from my Marriott stay last week. And my 4 nights from my SPG stays from earlier in August. I'll give it 48 hours or so before reaching out to support. Not too worried just yet.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:02 am

Because he doesn't read every word his mother writes to him (and I don't write many), yesterday my son went into his SPG app to make a rez, didn't pay attention, followed the prompts, and combined his accounts: now his 300K+ Marriott points have disappeared. Both of his apps now just show his SPG points (tripled). Hopefully this will resolve itself because he also failed to take screenshots. Just shaking my head....
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Accounts merged. Points are all there, but 686 Lifetime Nights are missing! (Although it did make me PP).
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Signing in to keep the old Marriott number, it didn't like my new SPG number but the process worked with my email.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: National EE, Flying Blue/SPG/Sixt platinum, Hertz PC, Club Carlsson, Best Western Diamond, IHG
Done this today without issue. Initially, my "merge" option was grayed but I can access through direct link in this thread.
To log to SPG account, it is not clear when you used your old membership credential that it failed and put your new one in the login. So, don't be surprises and use the same password.
The merge wen't well even if, I started from Marriott link which would have made my Marriott account the sole account which I want to avoid (longer member with SPG and also, until end of 2018, keep some specificities from SPG, like the number of stay that count for your status).
So, stopped when I realized that (ie: summary of the merge). I started then through SPG account using the link in this thread, going directly to the summary page but I done a mistake here (close a window, try to go back, ...) which made the process stop and unable to access this page.
I retry to connect from my home with my personnal PC (was at work previously) and then got the "merge" option fully available. I have done the full process from here.

One of my worry about this merge is the change in the conditions to access lifetime Gold status. With SPG program, I would have got the Lifetime Gold status in 2019. And if the merge happened one year later, got Lifetime Gold in the new program... But, now, I will access to Lifetime silver status in the new program, which provide clearly less benefits than the previous Gold at SPG! I wrote an e-mail to SPG to explain them my disappointment, but got only answer that in general conditions, they do what they want as changes (which I already know).
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:44 am

Unfortunately not a seamless combination. My scenario was combining to keep my legacy MR number (MR Lifetime Plat + SPG Plat Ambassador) using the link not after logging in

Correct:
- Current year and total nights and Points combined correctly
- 12 SPG reservations migrated correctly (had no prior MR reservations)

Not correct:
- Combined status: Website: Lifetime PP + Ambassador (correct), mobile app: PP + Ambassador (incorrect, no lifetime status)
- Lifetime Status: website: Lifetime PP, mobile app: nothing, only showing my total nights. 0 years with status (incorrect)
- Can't change my email address on my profile, shows it is being used as duplicate (was on my previous SPG account)
- SNA: TBD within 48 hours.

Last edited by parkums; Aug 21, 2018 at 9:50 am
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I just merged my accounts and everything went smoothly! I am only 10 nights away from Platinum premier but I am doing hyatt stays to get Globalist again... decisions....
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood/Marriott Plat, Others of little note
Originally Posted by LostInTranslation
My experience:

Merged from Marriott account. Was unable to do so from SPG account for some reason. Because of this, it now shows me as only having been a member since 2011 instead of when I joined SPG a decade earlier.

The good:
- Point totals are correct, up through all stays made through early August. (My SPG stay the night of 16 August has not yet posted anywhere, perhaps unsurprisingly.)
- My SPG Lifetime Gold status - which earlier disappeared - has now reappeared on the combined account.
- The combined nights boosted me up to Platinum Premier Elite status, as expected.

The not-so-good:
- 5 elite nights from SPG disappeared from this year's totals - these appear to be the SPG Amex nights. Hopefully these will be returned?
- All existing Marriott reservations appear, but my one existing SPG reservation has not yet been merged in.
- Trying to click on the 50 night benefit brings up a pop-up for username/password that does not work with the Marriott credentials.
- Did not receive a 75 night benefit despite crossing that when merging the two accounts together. Seems like people who cross the 75 night threshold should still get a second choice benefit...

The ???:
- Still not sure how my lifetime SPG night total went up....but it remained that way post-account merger.
- The little dial showing progress towards ambassador status shows the dollar figure (I haven't tried to calculate if it is correct or not) and a number of nights, which is quite a bit fewer than the number of nights stayed this year. Perhaps it only reflects paid nights? Does ambassador status require 100 paid nights? Or perhaps this is one figure which still has not fully updated. Unclear.

It will be interesting to see what other change/fixes emerge over the next 72 hours, as promised.
I assumed that if I crossed 75 on the merger that I would be sol on the 75 benefit. I purposely booked elsewhere to be at 74 at merger.
RogerD408 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:33 am

After I sign in to both my accounts, the View Details screen has the points correct, but the Lifetime Nights are my current year totals, not my lifetime ones. I didn't go any farther, but on the first screen are you seeing your actual lifetime nights or current year ones?
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
New SPG number really necessary? Worst IT merger ever

Instead of what I'm used to I'm assigned a brand new SPG account number. The whole process seems to be clumsy at the top level (I'm a former IT Senior Administrator and I feel the pain of the low to mid tier guys, they are just doing what are being assigned, I don't blame them for the chaos, but the top planners). What exactly is the goal here? If the goal is one single account, why not push all the SPG and Ritz into Marriott? It's already linked, you literally just need to combined the old SPG/Ritz into the existing Marriott.

Instead, so far as I can tell, they kept the SPG separate, but with Marriott-esque updates, assigned brand new account numbers, and now it's a big mess (so far the ones I've found - lost Life Time Membership status, reservations gone, activities for the past month and a half not posted, and a few minor kinks).

I'm really puzzled that Marriott seems to decided to take a much complicated route when the most direct and expedite route is simply subsumed SPG/Ritz into Marriott. I guess Marriott has decided SPG and Ritz are brands they wanted to keep promoting? Makes no sense.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by forecheck
After I sign in to both my accounts, the View Details screen has the points correct, but the Lifetime Nights are my current year totals, not my lifetime ones. I didn't go any farther, but on the first screen are you seeing your actual lifetime nights or current year ones?
Your lifetime nights should show in the right-hand column of the window that pops up when you click "details" under your current-year nights-earned total on your Activity page. I'm seeing correct totals there.

Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:08 am

I give up. E-mail and passwords the same for both accounts which I think is the issue despite trying multiple web browers/ clearing cookies/etc. Will give it a few days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.