Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: windhund
Has an Arrival/Departure Lounge, where travelers can unwind after a long flight. Personal showers and lockers in the lounge also are available to those who need to check out of their rooms before leaving the resort.

Has an amazing view from the Adult Only Infinity Pool

Daily resort fee USD 30 plus tax will be added to rate. As of 2018, the resort fee benefits were as listed below. However, this list came from a card labeled "Resort Fees & Amenities: Elite", and it's not clear which ones are different for or apply only to elites. There's also a disclaimer: "The Resort Fee includes a variety of amenities for our guests. Please note some amenities are subject to availability."
  • Complimentary daily internet
  • Unlimited US Domestic, long distance & local phone calls
  • Outgoing domestic US fax service (up to 20 pages)
  • 15% on Laundry and Dry Cleaning Services
  • 30-minute personal photo session and package upgrade
  • Daily Fitness Classes
  • Daily Hawaiian Cultural Activities
  • 1 hour bicycle rental (2 bicycles per stay)
  • Bottled Water (2 per day)
  • Welcome shell lei greeting upon arrival
  • Courtesy rides within the Wailea Resort (upon availability)
  • Beach Chair Rental (2 per day)
  • Cabana Rentals: 10% discount on full-day cabana rentals at 'Ohi pools, Maluhia pools & NALU adventure pool. Dial 'At Your Service' for reservations
  • Mandara Spa: 10% discount on 50-minute service (excludes special promotions and events)
  • Ocean Concierge & Activities: 20% discount on weekly paddle board rental; complimentary fish identification card; complimentary introductory morning scuba lesson. Visit the 'Ohio Pools for reservations.
  • The Movie House: complimentary movie screenings. View the weekly schedule for showtimes.
  • GameSpace: complimentary access to GameSapce, featuring foosball, billiards, shuffleboard, vintage arcade and Xbox games [for those who haven't been back since the renovation, this is an indoor gaming area they added as part of the renovations. It's at the far end of the lobby opposite the Starbucks.]
  • Akamai Business Center: 20% discount on FedEx & UPS Shipping
Print Wikipost

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
We're heading out Friday for another stay there. The serenity pool cabanas are now $250 a day. That's getting a little pricey. They offered a discount of a 5th day free. We did a couple of days there last trip and it is an awesome experience, especially at sunset.

I'm hoping the room reno is about complete. We weren't that impressed with the food. But there are so many good options right up the street like Gannon's, Monkey Pod, Tommy Bahamas, etc. Everything is expensive but you can also save some cash by eating in Kihei.

It will be interesting to see how crowded it is the week after T'giving. The last trip it was dead, which was great. This time, the flights are pretty much sold out which I don't recall being that way before.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 9:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
http://mauinow.com/2016/12/06/wailea...ransformation/

"The Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui today announced the completion of its sweeping $100 million transformation set to debut Dec. 24, 2016.

The entirely transformed contemporary resort features a reimagined arrival experience, six new dining options including Humble Market Kitchin by Roy Yamaguchi, three new distinct pool environments, and 547 redesigned rooms and suites, along with the total modernization of all indoor/outdoor meeting and event spaces, fitness center and spa."
Old Dec 12, 2016, 2:08 am

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by GeorgeBurdell
We're heading out Friday for another stay there. The serenity pool cabanas are now $250 a day. That's getting a little pricey. They offered a discount of a 5th day free. We did a couple of days there last trip and it is an awesome experience, especially at sunset.

I'm hoping the room reno is about complete. We weren't that impressed with the food. But there are so many good options right up the street like Gannon's, Monkey Pod, Tommy Bahamas, etc. Everything is expensive but you can also save some cash by eating in Kihei.

It will be interesting to see how crowded it is the week after T'giving. The last trip it was dead, which was great. This time, the flights are pretty much sold out which I don't recall being that way before.

I was told $250 for serenity as well, but you receive a 10% discount which is included with the resort fees?

Also, bummed they didn't finish before our trip this friday, but hopefully most of the construction work is done! REALLY hoping the weather gets better, apparently it's been an exceptionally wet December.
How was your trip after thanksgiving?
Old Dec 12, 2016, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by highops
I just arrived. I'll update if anything changes, but so far they have done a great job.

We were upgraded to a room in Tower 4 overlooking the infinity pool and the ocean. Based on the view it has to be one of the better non-suite rooms at the property. They had emailed and asked about celebrations. I mentioned we were just missing our anniversary during the stay. They sent sparkling wine and chocolates anyway.

Right now it appears the construction is mostly affecting common areas- no grand view of the ocean from the lobby that Hawaiian resorts are known to have, most shops on the property are closed. With the shops at Wailea only a coulple hundred yards away this doesn't worry me. I haven't wandered the property yet, but they did say the kids pool was closed.

I've had a very lucky trip so far though. My United Silver got me an upgrade on a (short) leg of my trip despite the fact that these were award tickets because the flight was oversold. (I do not have the MP card that would allow this). Hopefully my trip continues to go so well!
Was the room upgrade due to membership status? Or just because?
Heading there this weekend, and at the moment just booked a regular resort room
Old Dec 12, 2016, 6:15 am

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Originally Posted by AJDem
Was the room upgrade due to membership status? Or just because?
Heading there this weekend, and at the moment just booked a regular resort room
Status (as far as I know).
Old Dec 27, 2016, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/...221-story.html

"Marriott's Wailea Beach Resort on Maui unveils its $100-million makeover

The resort hotel was set to unwrap its $100-million renovation last Saturday. It has had a head-to-toe makeover, from rooms to restaurants and swimming pools.

The 547 rooms and suites feature new contemporary furnishings designed to complement the nearby ocean. Amenities include screen casting from your mobile device plus music streaming and access to Hulu and Netflix.

And then there’s the Arrival/Departure Lounge, where travelers can unwind after a long flight. Personal showers and lockers in the lounge also are available to those who need to check out of their rooms before leaving the resort.

On the eating front, celebrated chef Roy Yamaguchi opens Humble Market Kitchin. One of the pioneers of Hawaiian fusion cooking, he will offer dishes that feature Chinese, Filipino, Hawaiian and Japanese influences. The restaurant, which offers indoor and outdoor dining, overlooks the Pacific Ocean.

Food trucks too will be part of the culinary cuisine, with the Mo Bettah truck serving up local favorites such as poke.

New pools spread across the property’s 22 acres include two new Ohi pools, which are beside the beach and have ocean-front cabanas. The Nalu Adventure Pool offers fun for kids and families and includes a dive pool for scuba training. There’s also the Maluhia Serenity Pool for adults only, with an infinity pool and multi-level pool decks."
Old Jan 6, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: Air Canada 50K, Marriott Gold,
I am booked into Wailea Beach for my honeymoon in May and noticed the room types have changed slightly online, perhaps due to the recent renos? The photos all seem very similar so i was wondering if anyone had any experience with the better room types that you would recommend or buildings/towers. I am currently slated to be in what is now called a "Premium Ocean Sundeck" room.

Any tips from frequent guests would be amazing, will be my first time in Hawaii.

Thanks!
Old Jan 6, 2017, 8:58 am

I like the sound of the upgrades. Stayed there before and it was fine but sounds nicer. We are debating between Westin Maui up in Kaanapali or this property. Fun debates to have....
Old Jan 6, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Originally Posted by TOR27
I am booked into Wailea Beach for my honeymoon in May and noticed the room types have changed slightly online, perhaps due to the recent renos? The photos all seem very similar so i was wondering if anyone had any experience with the better room types that you would recommend or buildings/towers. I am currently slated to be in what is now called a "Premium Ocean Sundeck" room.

Any tips from frequent guests would be amazing, will be my first time in Hawaii.

Thanks!
There is one two-story building closer to the ocean. I wonder if this is it. If so it looked really nice. I stayed in a more traditional ocean view in one of the main buildings.

Nope, but not bad https://www.marriott.com/hotels/phot...&roomTypeCode= go to 8 of 63 using the right arrow

Last edited by highops; Jan 6, 2017 at 10:51 am Reason: looked it up
Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: Air Canada 50K, Marriott Gold,
Originally Posted by highops
There is one two-story building closer to the ocean. I wonder if this is it. If so it looked really nice. I stayed in a more traditional ocean view in one of the main buildings.

Nope, but not bad https://www.marriott.com/hotels/phot...&roomTypeCode= go to 8 of 63 using the right arrow
Based on the pictures it 'should' be more like picture 13...but not too sure.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 6:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, SW A-List & CP
Originally Posted by TOR27

Thanks!
I usually stay at the Andaz (one hotel away) and thinking about booking a stay here using my certificate from the hotel + airfare package.

Wailea is a great place for your honeymoon because you don't really need to leave. There is great snorkeling/paddle boarding/kayaking, etc., right in front of the beach. Due to the "resort" feel and lack of accessibility, the beaches are less crowded than those in Kaanapali. You can easily walk to nearby shopping and restaurants including the requisite ABC store. The town of Kihei is very close and has more of the "local" feel - there are plenty of Ubers to take you to restaurants and shave ice

In my experience, I have found that the weather to be better than Kanaapali (I've also stayed at the Marriott and SPG properties there and prefer it to Wailea.)

If you have a car, stop by Tamura's. Amazing selection of wine/liquor/beer -- we found bottles of sparking that were comparable or cheaper than home (SF Bay Area). They also offer a ton of tasty snacks and really good (and affordable) poke. If you like champagne, Morimoto at Andaz sells Ruinart by the glass for pretty close to cost! You can walk right into the bar area wearing just a cover-up and watch the sunset while eating hamachi belly.

Lastly, if you're planning the Road to Hana, you can actually go backwards and hit up the O'heo pools/Pipiwai trail (same park) without having to endure the super windy roads. Still windy though.

Enjoy - I look forward to your review.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 1:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA GLD
Staying here post renovation and there is little to no Marriott branding (drove by the place because it only says "wailea beach resort" in a super modern font/sign design). In fact the only things "Marriott" are the disposable soft product eg soap, TV channel, notepad and corkscrew. Everything else is branded as "wailea beach resort". The last time I was here, to visit migrant, I think there was a lot more Marriott branding/was very easy to find.

When I asked at the desk, they said it's just managed as a Marriott (and gold benefits apply blah blah) but is its own hotel Seems unusual for what should be a flagship Marriott property (or would that be the Ritz Carlton in kapalua)?

Rooms are not impressive so far, but haven't had a chance to fully explore the resort and everything that justifies the $30 resort fee that doesn't include parking.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:42 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by psychoandy
When I asked at the desk, they said it's just managed as a Marriott (and gold benefits apply blah blah) but is its own hotel Seems unusual for what should be a flagship Marriott property (or would that be the Ritz Carlton in kapalua)?
The Ritz Carlton in Kapalua would definitely be the flagship. Maybe the Wailea Marriott is turning into an AC property?
Old Jan 16, 2017, 8:28 pm

We stayed here last week. As stated above there is virtually no Marriott signage. There did appear to be a Marriott flag on the flag poll. We had stayed here before so knew how to find it luckily. If you look for signs that say Marriott you won't find it. Property was MUCH nicer than our visit about 5 years ago. It's NOT Four Seasons or Grand Wailea nice but it is very nice. I am plat and we stayed on points. First room was partially partial view. We got on the waiting list to be upgraded the next day after a large group left and we were upgraded. A very nice one bedroom suite with a perfect ocean view. Employees at the property are excellent except for pool side restaurant. We had several meals/drinks there and were underwhelmed each time. Other than that though we were impressed by the staff. Front desk, bell staff, housekeepers, etc.... It is a very large property so your room can be quite a hike from the front desk. The new waterslide I was told is the longest on Maui. We didn't have the kids with us so didn't utilize it. Also, very large game room which we did not utilized by looked great for the kids with video games, pool, shuffle board, foosball, etc.... As a plat we took the $10 credit toward food and drink. Not much else to say. 4.5 stars by us.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GeorgeBurdell

Maybe a pool cabana should be a Cat-6 room with Rewards points - and that way they could still charge you an extra resort fee on top of it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.