Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: windhund
Has an Arrival/Departure Lounge, where travelers can unwind after a long flight. Personal showers and lockers in the lounge also are available to those who need to check out of their rooms before leaving the resort.

Has an amazing view from the Adult Only Infinity Pool

Daily resort fee USD 30 plus tax will be added to rate. As of 2018, the resort fee benefits were as listed below. However, this list came from a card labeled "Resort Fees & Amenities: Elite", and it's not clear which ones are different for or apply only to elites. There's also a disclaimer: "The Resort Fee includes a variety of amenities for our guests. Please note some amenities are subject to availability."
  • Complimentary daily internet
  • Unlimited US Domestic, long distance & local phone calls
  • Outgoing domestic US fax service (up to 20 pages)
  • 15% on Laundry and Dry Cleaning Services
  • 30-minute personal photo session and package upgrade
  • Daily Fitness Classes
  • Daily Hawaiian Cultural Activities
  • 1 hour bicycle rental (2 bicycles per stay)
  • Bottled Water (2 per day)
  • Welcome shell lei greeting upon arrival
  • Courtesy rides within the Wailea Resort (upon availability)
  • Beach Chair Rental (2 per day)
  • Cabana Rentals: 10% discount on full-day cabana rentals at 'Ohi pools, Maluhia pools & NALU adventure pool. Dial 'At Your Service' for reservations
  • Mandara Spa: 10% discount on 50-minute service (excludes special promotions and events)
  • Ocean Concierge & Activities: 20% discount on weekly paddle board rental; complimentary fish identification card; complimentary introductory morning scuba lesson. Visit the 'Ohio Pools for reservations.
  • The Movie House: complimentary movie screenings. View the weekly schedule for showtimes.
  • GameSpace: complimentary access to GameSapce, featuring foosball, billiards, shuffleboard, vintage arcade and Xbox games [for those who haven't been back since the renovation, this is an indoor gaming area they added as part of the renovations. It's at the far end of the lobby opposite the Starbucks.]
  • Akamai Business Center: 20% discount on FedEx & UPS Shipping
Print Wikipost

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2014, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Oh, I get it now. The resort fee is reimbursable, while a higher room rate would not be. Thanks for the explanation.

Bruce
Old Dec 5, 2014, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
^
Exactly. I know I am in a unique situation.

Originally Posted by bdschobel
Oh, I get it now. The resort fee is reimbursable, while a higher room rate would not be. Thanks for the explanation.

Bruce
Old Dec 6, 2014, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Esltroy
The location of this property is its #1 amenity. I actually like the resort fee. My company does not allow us to go over a certain rate in each location where we work. They don't include parking to resort fees in their calculation.
That's kinda funny. I had a stay at a Gaylord property that slaughtered me on fees and taxes (Florida) and my actual bill was something like 52% over just the room rate. Our travel system would not have allowed me to stay their if it had been an all-in room rate.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 3:19 pm

Programs: Avis First, Hertz Gold, Marriott Platinum, US Airways Platinum, AA Platinum, UA Silver, Hilton Diamo
The are simply better options in Maui than the Marriott. At the end of the day the most important thing to me while in Maui is being oceanfront (able to see and hear the ocean from my room). Even with points, you still get slaughtered with fees (not to mention meals, etc.) which makes other non-Marriott properties more desirable.

I've been to Maui three times and never stayed at the Marriott despite having the points for several stays if desired.

$.02
Old Dec 9, 2014, 4:20 am

Programs: Leaders Unlimited,Fairmont Platinum,SLH Loved,IC Ambassador
I have stayed at the Marriott and HIGHLY recommend Wailea, it is a wonderful resort with some of the best weather on the island (it can get windy in Kaupula -sorry about the spelling!) my choices would be the fairmont, Hotel Wailea, Four Seasons or Andaz. I agree with the previous poster, the marriott isnt great...
Old Dec 9, 2014, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, AA LT Gold, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC, HP Masters emeritus (sigh)
Stayed here recently and was very disappointed . Small pools tiny hot tub no beach directly on it. Costs $30 or something just to sit in a padded chaîr poolside. And as gold received constant elevator noise and view of couple trees and a pickup truck. Fees are a joke. Lounge restaurant is good though and surprisingly adventurous.
This property does not see the big picture that when you nickle and dime for a so-so product people won't come back. I won't .
Old Apr 8, 2015, 1:40 am

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Back for Easter weekend. Same infuriating resort fee (no change from October posting), still takes FOREVER to check in, and their reservation system seems incapable of dealing with dollars + points reservations (meaning the 2 nights were separate, so no house keeping the 2nd day, welcome and good bye calls, keys expiring...). I do love the location and the snorkeling in the cove just north, but a refresh would be welcome.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 8:00 pm

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa in Maui?

Looking for 5 days stay in Maui and this will be our first trip to Hawaii.

We are 3 including a 17 months old baby and we would like to stay somewhere close some shops, restaurants. I have some Marriot points I could and I am a Gold member. I checked and saw Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa. Is this in good location? I won't get Marriot gold benefits such as breakfast since it is a resort hotel?

I am also thinking of doing to road trip to Hana to enjoy the beautiful scenery!
Thanks
Old Jun 23, 2015, 8:22 pm

It is a resort, so no breakfast for Golds (or Plats). There's also a resort fee, and parking is extra as well (NOT included in the resort fee).

The Wailea Marriott is a quick walk to the Shops at Wailea (just across the parking lot):
http://theshopsatwailea.com/

There are some shops and restaurants there, but it's a relatively small shopping center. But with a car, you leave when you want something different. You can also try some of the other restaurants at the other resorts in Wailea (some have a nice view) -- all are within walking distance, though with a baby, it may be a long walk to some of them.

I believe there's a separate pool for families, though I haven't used it myself. The nicest pool at the resort IMO is adults-only -- it's an infinity pool with views of the ocean.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a nice family pool but most of the water features like the slides are more for older kids. Be aware that the hotel is not directly on the beach you have to walk a bit up or down the shoreline for a beach.

(Road trip to Hana with 17 month old seems... ambitious)
Old Jun 23, 2015, 11:15 pm

Thanks guys! This Marriot is not good for us than. I will have to think about Hyatt Regency I guess.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: United, Marriott, Ritz-Carlton, Hilton
I have to agree with others that this hotel has some less optimal options. You have to get past the resort and car fees and walking a very short distance to either of two beaches located at both ends of the property. But, once you have that out of your mind the property is a stunningly beautiful tropical paradise. Depending on the time of year (May/June for me) every flower was in bloom around the property. The Wailea Marriott is a very serene environment and was an awesome way to unwind for ten days. The beaches are somewhat smaller here but not crowded and are quite nice. I did not experience rough surf.

I was fortunate to be able to upgrade to an ocean front room. I stayed with points but paid for the upgrade. The room was elegant but had pretty basic amenities with only a mini-fridge and coffee maker. There is almost no air flow if you love to leave the window (door wall) open. The air conditioner is great but part of what I love about Hawaii are the breezes. The room is long so the breeze doesn't make it far into the room. Sitting on the balcony was one of the most peaceful views of any of the places I have traveled. Perfect breezes on the balcony.

As a base camp to head out to other places on Maui I felt Wailea was a great starting point. In other trips I have also stayed in Ka'anapali but the drive from there seems so long. This is a great resort for quality relaxation but the bang for the buck spreadsheet calculation is a little off.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
On the contrary, I think the Wailea Marriott is a great choice for the OP. The resort has a zero-entry, sand-covered wading pool and splash area that will be great for the little one. And the walking-distance Shops at Wailea has a nice variety of shopping from the ubiquitous ABC store to the most upscale jewelry, luxury clothing, and art gallery shopping. There are restaurants at the resort, at the Shops, and at all the other resorts along Wailea beach (which are accessible from a charming oceanside walkway). What's not to love?
Old Jun 28, 2015, 9:26 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
On the contrary, I think the Wailea Marriott is a great choice for the OP. The resort has a zero-entry, sand-covered wading pool and splash area that will be great for the little one. And the walking-distance Shops at Wailea has a nice variety of shopping from the ubiquitous ABC store to the most upscale jewelry, luxury clothing, and art gallery shopping. There are restaurants at the resort, at the Shops, and at all the other resorts along Wailea beach (which are accessible from a charming oceanside walkway). What's not to love?
We stayed their twice, once pre-kid and once with our daughter when she was 5. It was a great base for families with young kids. We're not typically the type to have food poolside; however, their prices were very reasonable for kids meals. For exploring Hana, Haleakala, Upcountry, and Paia, it is much more convenient than Kaanapali. You could do Lahaina and Kaanapali as a day trip from there.

--Jon

Last edited by Jon Maiman; Jun 28, 2015 at 3:39 pm
Old Jun 28, 2015, 12:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
Thanks guys! This Marriot is not good for us than. I will have to think about Hyatt Regency I guess.
Wailea, Kaanpaali. Hana, and even Lahina as far as that goes are drastically different locations on the island. Yes it's an island but it is not that small. Five days you might have time for two. What do you want the trip to be?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.