Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: windhund
Has an Arrival/Departure Lounge, where travelers can unwind after a long flight. Personal showers and lockers in the lounge also are available to those who need to check out of their rooms before leaving the resort.

Has an amazing view from the Adult Only Infinity Pool

Daily resort fee USD 30 plus tax will be added to rate. As of 2018, the resort fee benefits were as listed below. However, this list came from a card labeled "Resort Fees & Amenities: Elite", and it's not clear which ones are different for or apply only to elites. There's also a disclaimer: "The Resort Fee includes a variety of amenities for our guests. Please note some amenities are subject to availability."
  • Complimentary daily internet
  • Unlimited US Domestic, long distance & local phone calls
  • Outgoing domestic US fax service (up to 20 pages)
  • 15% on Laundry and Dry Cleaning Services
  • 30-minute personal photo session and package upgrade
  • Daily Fitness Classes
  • Daily Hawaiian Cultural Activities
  • 1 hour bicycle rental (2 bicycles per stay)
  • Bottled Water (2 per day)
  • Welcome shell lei greeting upon arrival
  • Courtesy rides within the Wailea Resort (upon availability)
  • Beach Chair Rental (2 per day)
  • Cabana Rentals: 10% discount on full-day cabana rentals at 'Ohi pools, Maluhia pools & NALU adventure pool. Dial 'At Your Service' for reservations
  • Mandara Spa: 10% discount on 50-minute service (excludes special promotions and events)
  • Ocean Concierge & Activities: 20% discount on weekly paddle board rental; complimentary fish identification card; complimentary introductory morning scuba lesson. Visit the 'Ohio Pools for reservations.
  • The Movie House: complimentary movie screenings. View the weekly schedule for showtimes.
  • GameSpace: complimentary access to GameSapce, featuring foosball, billiards, shuffleboard, vintage arcade and Xbox games [for those who haven't been back since the renovation, this is an indoor gaming area they added as part of the renovations. It's at the far end of the lobby opposite the Starbucks.]
  • Akamai Business Center: 20% discount on FedEx & UPS Shipping
Print Wikipost

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2021, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Juggy007
I have a similar booking for end of December as well. My thing is that having to pay the $1500 premium on top of the 280K points given that as a Lifetime Platinum, I would normally be given on these room as a complimentary upgrade. When I called the hotel, they said that the basic garden rooms are all fully booked, so they are charging the cash upgrade for the nicer rooms based on the limited availability. Adding to the irony is that they no longer accept SNA either!

And then on top of all of that, they now have a daily resort fee and are charging for parking. Neither of these charges were there when we stayed back in December 2018...
That must have been a Christmas gift for guests, as both resort fee and parking was charged on my first stay in August 2017. Platinum in Marriot Rewards at the time.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 9:57 am

Any recent reports? Is the area a zoo at this time - seems like a lot of properties are fairly booked?
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 6:05 pm

Just checked in as Titanium Elite and only got upgraded to a partial ocean view room (was told it will be ocean view). When I talked to them, they say only 1 level upgrade is given to elites. I can see all room types including suites are available for the dates I'm staying.

Is this normal?
Old Nov 29, 2021, 8:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by satellite779
Just checked in as Titanium Elite and only got upgraded to a partial ocean view room (was told it will be ocean view). When I talked to them, they say only 1 level upgrade is given to elites. I can see all room types including suites are available for the dates I'm staying.

Is this normal?
The "1 level" is new and flatly contrary to Bonvoy T&C. I wouldn't leave the front desk without speaking to the manager on duty about that.

But plenty of reports that this property does not give complimentary upgrades to suites.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 10:33 am

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Originally Posted by satellite779

Is this normal?
Yes, this is the norm for elites at this property. Don't waste your time or get frustrated on your vacation trying to get anything better as this property simply will not budge. That said, they are fairly consistent about giving you a good ocean view room so if you really do have a partial view that you don't like, you can try to push to get reassigned elsewhere in the resort (assuming availability is there)
Old Nov 29, 2021, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by brosnan6
Yes, this is the norm for elites at this property. Don't waste your time or get frustrated on your vacation trying to get anything better as this property simply will not budge. That said, they are fairly consistent about giving you a good ocean view room so if you really do have a partial view that you don't like, you can try to push to get reassigned elsewhere in the resort (assuming availability is there)
A full ocean view is more than 1 category up from the base garden view room. "1 category" would be a new policy, if it is indeed the policy.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by brosnan6
The first room they gave me had an ocean view only from the balcony and I had to really look to the left, almost lean over. It was basically overlooking the property to the north of Marriott. After complaining they gave me a room to the left of infinity pool. Not perfect but much better. It was a hassle though as that room was not ready and it took them 5hrs to move us.

View from the first room

View from the second room

Last edited by satellite779; Nov 29, 2021 at 2:59 pm
Old Dec 5, 2021, 7:23 pm
wkc

Stayed here recently, and I can confirm that the $100 USD elite benefit compensation can be invoked against the continental Starbucks / Whale Tail breakfast amenity. But you need to email the Guest Experience team about this in advance of checking in, as the front desk team will have no idea about doing this.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 8:20 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by wkc
Stayed here recently, and I can confirm that the $100 USD elite benefit compensation can be invoked against the continental Starbucks / Whale Tail breakfast amenity. But you need to email the Guest Experience team about this in advance of checking in, as the front desk team will have no idea about doing this.
Lol I don’t think that’s how they intended it to work. But maybe I’m wrong. I guess they should make it $100 per day to cover this sort of thing.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 3:06 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Bonvoy LT Ti; National EE; WDW Passholder
Invoked on what grounds? How is the Starbucks / Whale Tail breakfast not compliant with 4.3.c.iii, which reads, in part:

"RESORTS only:
United States, Canada, Europe: 1,000 Points per Stay or breakfast in restaurant per night of Stay for Member +1"

Originally Posted by wkc
Old Dec 6, 2021, 9:12 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by lbbzman
Invoked on what grounds? How is the Starbucks / Whale Tail breakfast not compliant with 4.3.c.iii, which reads, in part:

"RESORTS only:
United States, Canada, Europe: 1,000 Points per Stay or breakfast in restaurant per night of Stay for Member +1"
A coffee bar doesn’t count as a restaurant technically?
kar120c likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 9:23 pm
wkc

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
A coffee bar doesn’t count as a restaurant technically?
This is the correct answer. I also asserted to them that the Marriott web page clearly distinguishes between "breakfast in restaurant" and "continental breakfast" as an elite offering.

Their welcome email makes it very clear that it's a choice between points or "continental breakfast", and that's how I invoked the benefit guarantee.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 10:38 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by wkc
Perhaps you can provide the email contact info for Guest Experience team.

And how can invoke the guarantee prior to checking in?
Old Dec 8, 2021, 11:28 am
wkc

Originally Posted by dayone
Perhaps you can provide the email contact info for Guest Experience team.

And how can invoke the guarantee prior to checking in?
My assumption is that all guests Platinum and above should receive a pre-arrival email somewhere along the lines of:
Thank you for your loyalty to our brand. We are delighted that you have chosen to stay with us for your visit to Maui on MMM/DD/YYYY. We look forward to welcoming you!

I am hoping to reach you, to assist in preparing for your arrival and getting details of your upcoming reservation. It is our desire for your arrival experience and overall stay to be unforgettable and extraordinary therefore may we please kindly ask you to provide us with the following information:

· Arrival Time to the Resort:

· Departure Time:

· Names of Guests (if young children are travelling please provide with their ages):

· Purpose of your visit:

· Food or/and Beverage Preferences:

Please feel free to let us know if there are any dietary restrictions, we should be aware of.

As one of our Marriott Bonvoy [____] Elite member, we would like to offer your choice of a Resort Elite welcome amenity upon arrival:

• 1,000 Marriott Rewards Points per Day
Or
  • Daily Light Continental Breakfast for 2 To- Go (Pastry of the Day, Fruit, Coffee or Tea)

Please let us know which option best suits your preferences, and we will make the arrangements for you.
And that's where you can pushback on the amenity options and secure the elite benefit guarantee.
escapefromphl likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA/*A nobody, Bonvoy Plat, SW A-list, Hertz 5* (but who isn't???)
I'm having a similar experience to other recent posts here. Plat, 1 night award res for Garden King. Pre-arrival email has been aggressively pushing this "you must pay cash if you wish to guarantee your upgrade, due to the high number of elites at this property". There are 20 room types available for cash res still next week for the night of my stay, and both Garden King and 2 Queen still offered for points.

My last stay in March 2017 was fantastic - nice ocean facing upgrade, but I've basically written off any hope of reasonable treatment as a Plat. I did push back and ask for restaurant breakfast +1 or the $100 benefit guarantee, but they haven't answered that. I feel like they know you don't want to get worked up about the trouble of contacting the GM about insufficient honoring of elite benefits.

Meanwhile, the Sheraton in Kaanapali happy accepted my 5 Suite Night Awards on a garden king points reservation, and upgraded me to the Moana Hale above Black Rock. They appear to be as (relatively) empty as the Wailea Marriott, unusual at this time of year (for obvious reasons).

Next weekend will probably be my last-ever stay at the Wailea Marriott. Just one guy's opinion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.