Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: windhund
Has an Arrival/Departure Lounge, where travelers can unwind after a long flight. Personal showers and lockers in the lounge also are available to those who need to check out of their rooms before leaving the resort.

Has an amazing view from the Adult Only Infinity Pool

Daily resort fee USD 30 plus tax will be added to rate. As of 2018, the resort fee benefits were as listed below. However, this list came from a card labeled "Resort Fees & Amenities: Elite", and it's not clear which ones are different for or apply only to elites. There's also a disclaimer: "The Resort Fee includes a variety of amenities for our guests. Please note some amenities are subject to availability."
  • Complimentary daily internet
  • Unlimited US Domestic, long distance & local phone calls
  • Outgoing domestic US fax service (up to 20 pages)
  • 15% on Laundry and Dry Cleaning Services
  • 30-minute personal photo session and package upgrade
  • Daily Fitness Classes
  • Daily Hawaiian Cultural Activities
  • 1 hour bicycle rental (2 bicycles per stay)
  • Bottled Water (2 per day)
  • Welcome shell lei greeting upon arrival
  • Courtesy rides within the Wailea Resort (upon availability)
  • Beach Chair Rental (2 per day)
  • Cabana Rentals: 10% discount on full-day cabana rentals at 'Ohi pools, Maluhia pools & NALU adventure pool. Dial 'At Your Service' for reservations
  • Mandara Spa: 10% discount on 50-minute service (excludes special promotions and events)
  • Ocean Concierge & Activities: 20% discount on weekly paddle board rental; complimentary fish identification card; complimentary introductory morning scuba lesson. Visit the 'Ohio Pools for reservations.
  • The Movie House: complimentary movie screenings. View the weekly schedule for showtimes.
  • GameSpace: complimentary access to GameSapce, featuring foosball, billiards, shuffleboard, vintage arcade and Xbox games [for those who haven't been back since the renovation, this is an indoor gaming area they added as part of the renovations. It's at the far end of the lobby opposite the Starbucks.]
  • Akamai Business Center: 20% discount on FedEx & UPS Shipping
Print Wikipost

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2021, 12:39 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by omahajim
I'm having a similar experience to other recent posts here. Plat, 1 night award res for Garden King. Pre-arrival email has been aggressively pushing this "you must pay cash if you wish to guarantee your upgrade, due to the high number of elites at this property". There are 20 room types available for cash res still next week for the night of my stay, and both Garden King and 2 Queen still offered for points.

My last stay in March 2017 was fantastic - nice ocean facing upgrade, but I've basically written off any hope of reasonable treatment as a Plat. I did push back and ask for restaurant breakfast +1 or the $100 benefit guarantee, but they haven't answered that. I feel like they know you don't want to get worked up about the trouble of contacting the GM about insufficient honoring of elite benefits.

Meanwhile, the Sheraton in Kaanapali happy accepted my 5 Suite Night Awards on a garden king points reservation, and upgraded me to the Moana Hale above Black Rock. They appear to be as (relatively) empty as the Wailea Marriott, unusual at this time of year (for obvious reasons).

Next weekend will probably be my last-ever stay at the Wailea Marriott. Just one guy's opinion.
So goes the story of this once well run Marriott and given the new CEO's comments about ownership needs more respect is BS. With respect to the Sheraton it is a great alternative to the Marriott it's been refreshed. The Westin is a dump. I have been going here for business and pleasure since the mid 1970's and have seen the better days ! Our next trip will more than likely be the Sheraton even at Lifetime T 's I really don't expect the Marriott to do anything other than a cup of coffee.
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA/*A nobody, Bonvoy Plat, SW A-list, Hertz 5* (but who isn't???)
Originally Posted by edgewood49
So goes the story of this once well run Marriott and given the new CEO's comments about ownership needs more respect is BS. With respect to the Sheraton it is a great alternative to the Marriott it's been refreshed. The Westin is a dump. I have been going here for business and pleasure since the mid 1970's and have seen the better days ! Our next trip will more than likely be the Sheraton even at Lifetime T 's I really don't expect the Marriott to do anything other than a cup of coffee.
Thanks for the additional comments. I have never stayed at the Westin, but this Sheraton stay will be number 3 (both late Fall, once previously in Moana Hale and once in an ocean view directly above the pool, both upgrades on "cheap" reservations).

I have read all the reports about the Wailea Marriott here as well, which is why I picked Sheraton black rock again for this visit. This will be island visit #15 overall, across a total of 11 Hawaii trips (some trips were island hopping).

This is my fiance's first visit to Hawaii and I knew I would be able to give her the royal treatment at Sheraton (and a Moana room again, which is absolutely perfect). Not so much down south.

Oh, and we're doing a night at Hotel Lanai between these other two. it's a whirlwind trip. Can't wait.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 3:20 am

Update on my breakfast compensation request as a Plat:

Aloha Mr. Omahajim,

I do apologize as our restaurant on property is a third-party company which means we are unable to extend the Elite benefits with the restaurant on property.

We will be more than happy to extend the $100 compensation as your welcome amenity

Please let us know if there is anything else we could assist you with.

Mahalo,

(Name redacted)
Guest Experience Expert
Wailea Beach Resort – Marriott, Maui
3700 Wailea Alanui Drive | Wailea, HI
margarita girl, Kacee, wkc and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 7:37 am

It's the old "if they complain then give it to them" otherwise proceed as directed
omahajim likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 7:46 am

This is a one night points res, so after resort and parking fees, I'll make money. It would have been easier for them to just give us a nice sit-down breakfast, but I digress ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
margarita girl likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 8:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It seems they've determined it's cheaper to give out the occasional $100 rather than reach a contractual arrangement with the restaurant operator to provide an elite breakfast. Clearly they could, as they sell breakfast-inclusive rates and have made an arrangement with the Starbucks for gift cards instead.

It's like the insurance companies which have determined it's cheaper to lose the occasional lawsuit than to pay valid claims.
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 11:37 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by edgewood49
I thought the Westin was just recently renovated?
Old Dec 10, 2021, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck

it was with a "sharp pencil" on the cost.
Old Dec 11, 2021, 1:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
So I just stayed at the Westin this past week. It's a bit of a bait and switch -- the new tower seems to be the "renovated" wing. The regular rooms (in the old tower) seem to be pretty dated and worn out. If the old tower was also 'renovated' I certainly didn't feel it. See my comments in the Marriott Maui consolidated thread.
edgewood49 likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 6:54 am

Good report! Mind sharing the email address?
Old Dec 13, 2021, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Lol I don’t think that’s how they intended it to work. But maybe I’m wrong. I guess they should make it $100 per day to cover this sort of thing.
So $100 is for a stay, not per day?
Old Dec 13, 2021, 9:47 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by satellite779
So $100 is for a stay, not per day?
Correct, per stay. Not really a deterrent for the resorts is it?
Old Dec 13, 2021, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Correct, per stay. Not really a deterrent for the resorts is it?
Yeah. I stayed 4 nights here and Starbucks breakfast (coffee, croissant, fruit cup) I was getting for two would probably have cost around $100 if I was paying cash.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 11:21 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by satellite779
Yeah. I stayed 4 nights here and Starbucks breakfast (coffee, croissant, fruit cup) I was getting for two would probably have cost around $100 if I was paying cash.
You likely still get the Starbucks (and $100). But someone on the ground can verify.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 1:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
i noticed that my dates in jan went from regular and peak to both off peak points rates so I rebooked and saved 10-20K points a night!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.