FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1795782-wailea-beach-marriott-resort-spa-maui-hawaii-master-thread.html)

jetsetter777 Jun 14, 2001 11:25 am

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

[Moderator note: This thread contains information regarding the Marriott and Renaissance hotels at Wailea, Maui, Hawaii. The Renaissance, however, is now closed. The Wailea Marriott is very much open and thriving.]

We'll be going in late August for a 4 night stay using our Marriott reward points. Oceanview room. I heard about construction on one side of the hotel that is quite distracting, has anyone been there lately, and what are your impressions of the best parts of the hotel to stay in? (and no, the Mokapu beach wing is not an option here!!! =))

thanks!

zeazea Jun 17, 2001 8:21 am

We just got back from a trip in May where we spent 5 nights at the Renaissance Wailea. We stayed over by the construction activity but weren't bothered by it. For one reason, we didn't spend too much time during the day in the room but when we did, the noise level wasn't that bad (it may depend, tho, on what type of construction activity is going on while you are there). We had a great view of the beach and thoroughly enjoyed our visit.

Have a great trip!

[This message has been edited by zeazea (edited 06-19-2001).]

MisterNice Jul 2, 2001 6:59 am

Here is an July 1 update. The major construction is primarily over (bulldozers, earthmovers etc), so the noise is down to hammering, sawing etc and only one unit is being constructed at the present. The dirt-n-dust is down too as you might suspect, but it can be annoying if the trades pick up big-time in the afternoon. I had no difficulties dining in the nice outdoor restaurant.

FYI fourteen "homes" are scheduled next door, "beginning at $5,750,000". I believe the lots are extra and probably are $2 mil and up. Needless to say itsa out of my immediate price range.

MisterNice

jetsetter777 Jul 2, 2001 4:08 pm

misterNice- thank you so much for the update!

Which side of the hotel would you request, for least disturbance? We have an "oceanview room" but I don't know where is best to be.

Karen2 Jul 3, 2001 1:03 am

Make sure you are not at the back of the hotel facing the frontage road because all the delivery trucks for all the hotels go by about 5 AM. That said, I love the grounds, unlike Kaanapali's chock a block hotels.

I like it free Jul 3, 2001 11:04 am

I am staying there in October.
How do you request an Ocean View with a reward stay.

MisterNice Jul 3, 2001 11:50 am

jetsetter777-

The lovely "homes" are being built on the north side of the hotel, so definitely request a room in the southern-most part of the hotel. Tell them you want to be nearest the nice Elua Beach side (and definitely use it exclusively as it is a world class beach, not cramped or steep as the hotel beach is, and, as all beaches in HI are, totally public and open to all). Phew!

As you probably know, they wont do actual room assignments until you arrive and check-in, so check-in as early as possible in the day even though your room will probably not be ready.

An "ocean view" should face away from the main road and should face Kaaluawe, Molakini and Lanai, ie the Pacific Ocean..

MisterNice

jetsetter777 Jul 3, 2001 12:13 pm

I Like it Free:

actually, my companion did the hotel arrangements so I'm not sure of the details. I think they didn't have the "standard" rooms available so they gave us an oceanview for a nominal charge ($150 or so for a 4-night stay.)

MisterNice:

I've been trying to determine how far the rooms are from the actual beach. It doesn't seem by the photographs that the hotel has its own beach - is it across the street or something? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif I'm debating w/my boyfriend whether to get a room on the first floor so we can just "walk out" to the ocean or to get a room higher up for the view. Do you think it is worth requesting a first-floor room?

PS have you ever stayed in that Mokapu beach club wing??? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

MisterNice Jul 3, 2001 1:23 pm

jetsetter777-

The walk from the hotel to the hotel beach is approx 160 ft to 240 ft and itsa via concrete and asphalt walkways. The beach is due west past the pool and the nice outdoor Maui Onion restaurant etc. It is only a 2 or 3 story hotel as I remember. Itsa approx an extra 120 ft south on the beach walkway to the nice Elua Beach, just south of the rocky point jutting out. BTW this is my favorite snorkeling spot.

Upon arrival you can always go for a quick look-see and roam the hotel hallways and see for yourself to what exact view (and remember to write down nearby room numbers if you really like an area) meets your standards and later ask the DC if a vacant room is nearby.

As for me, I do not prefer first floor rooms as privacy and security are usually very foremost on my mind (at least sometimes they are).

And lastly, no.

MisterNice

Leisuremiles Jul 19, 2001 12:52 am

Misternice,

FYI-although all the homes are separate and detached residences, they are being sold as "condominiums" and all the land will be held jointly by all 14 owners so happily no additional for the lot.

scteach Jul 19, 2001 9:28 pm

I just returned from the Wailea Rennaisance. All of the above information is correct, except that I believe it is about 9 stories.The reception area and lobby is on floor 4. The hotel property is beachfront and on the path that leads to all the Wailea hotels. Beaches are beautiful! A very beautiful walk along the ocean too! We stayed in Makapu wing and enjoyed it. While the hotel is set back quite a lot from the beach, the Makapu wing is right at the beach. It is a 2 story building with grassy area, lounges and a small pool just for Makapu guests. The sand is just beyond the grass. Also, a private consierge to get drinks, food, towels, whatever just for the 27 rooms in Makapu. The resort is very pretty and quite casual and friendly compared to Grand Wailea and Four Seasons. The problem with asking for a room away from the construction side is you’re even further from the beach...way back. Makapu is right next to construction and we had no problems with it at all. You’ll have a terrific time!

MisterNice Jul 22, 2001 4:38 pm

I walked over yesterday to check on my new "home" (yeah right!). Anyhow you all can check on the available site lots, building progress etc by pointing your favorite browser to www.maluhiaatwailea.com . They list a toll-free tel no for updated information. BTW the Ren Wailea hotel is immediately to the right facing inland.

MisterNice

jetsetter777 Jul 23, 2001 11:14 am

wow, apparently you get the "amenities" of the renaissance with your "purchase" http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif
in house massage (24 hour notice) , catering, daily or onetime maid service.... wow.

the drawings of these homes are spectacular... so MisterNice when are you moving in? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif

wahoo Aug 22, 2001 5:07 pm

Renaissance Wailea Resort - comments?

I have been trying to book an award stay at the Maui Marriott for next August, but the system indicates no availability. A few questions.

1) Does being Platinum help with award availability if you call the platinum line?

2) How is the Renaissance at Wailea as an alternative to the Marriott?

3) How does it rank against the Marriott Kauai, JW ihilani, and the Maui Marriott?

4) Is an award stay at the Ritz at Kapulua potentially worth the points?

Thanks in advance to someone who's never been to Hawaii.

Karen2 Aug 27, 2001 12:48 am

There's more to it than just the hotel. The two ends of the island are quite different and not that close together. Kapalua is close enough to Kanapali and Lahina that you could cruise on over but Wailea is the other end. A very quiet end that my family enjoys. There are a few more hotels than before but still not the hotbed of activity at night that Lahina is. The Renaissance has huge grounds and a beautiful beach but no jazzy water slides, etc. The Maui Marriott is not, in my view, one of its best properties anyway. It is OK but does not compare, for example, to the Westin or Hyatt. And it is nowhere near the size of the Marriott Kauai. There is a "however," however! Wailea is next to Kihei which is a strip of cheap hotels and condos and has some kind of "life." Doesn't do anything for me but some people like it. If you want to party, you should stay near Lahina and, I will say, Kapalua is gorgeous and very beautifully landscaped. The architecture is old Hawaii luxury. I have never stayed there but have gone there for lunch. How many more points is it anyway?