Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: windhund
Has an Arrival/Departure Lounge, where travelers can unwind after a long flight. Personal showers and lockers in the lounge also are available to those who need to check out of their rooms before leaving the resort.

Has an amazing view from the Adult Only Infinity Pool

Daily resort fee USD 30 plus tax will be added to rate. As of 2018, the resort fee benefits were as listed below. However, this list came from a card labeled "Resort Fees & Amenities: Elite", and it's not clear which ones are different for or apply only to elites. There's also a disclaimer: "The Resort Fee includes a variety of amenities for our guests. Please note some amenities are subject to availability."
  • Complimentary daily internet
  • Unlimited US Domestic, long distance & local phone calls
  • Outgoing domestic US fax service (up to 20 pages)
  • 15% on Laundry and Dry Cleaning Services
  • 30-minute personal photo session and package upgrade
  • Daily Fitness Classes
  • Daily Hawaiian Cultural Activities
  • 1 hour bicycle rental (2 bicycles per stay)
  • Bottled Water (2 per day)
  • Welcome shell lei greeting upon arrival
  • Courtesy rides within the Wailea Resort (upon availability)
  • Beach Chair Rental (2 per day)
  • Cabana Rentals: 10% discount on full-day cabana rentals at 'Ohi pools, Maluhia pools & NALU adventure pool. Dial 'At Your Service' for reservations
  • Mandara Spa: 10% discount on 50-minute service (excludes special promotions and events)
  • Ocean Concierge & Activities: 20% discount on weekly paddle board rental; complimentary fish identification card; complimentary introductory morning scuba lesson. Visit the 'Ohio Pools for reservations.
  • The Movie House: complimentary movie screenings. View the weekly schedule for showtimes.
  • GameSpace: complimentary access to GameSapce, featuring foosball, billiards, shuffleboard, vintage arcade and Xbox games [for those who haven't been back since the renovation, this is an indoor gaming area they added as part of the renovations. It's at the far end of the lobby opposite the Starbucks.]
  • Akamai Business Center: 20% discount on FedEx & UPS Shipping
Print Wikipost

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2016, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by AJDem
Hmm, this is tempting!
I dunno. Unless this property has done some serious upgrading in the last handful of years, the on-site offerings were the single biggest disappointed for me - their cocktails were, shall we say, "corporate," their food was downright inedible, and that pretty much leaves the limited-option coffee shop to grab some light stuff in the mornings. After learning our lesson early on, we went to nearby hotels for meals or went out somewhere nearby - by day two, it wasn't even a consideration that we would dine or drink at any of the offerings on this otherwise beautiful (but quite mature) property.

Entirely possible they've undergone a major renovation since my last stay (2010, 2011?), but I didn't see anybody mentioning that in this thread, so I thought I'd speak up.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
I dunno. Unless this property has done some serious upgrading in the last handful of years, the on-site offerings were the single biggest disappointed for me - their cocktails were, shall we say, "corporate," their food was downright inedible, and that pretty much leaves the limited-option coffee shop to grab some light stuff in the mornings. After learning our lesson early on, we went to nearby hotels for meals or went out somewhere nearby - by day two, it wasn't even a consideration that we would dine or drink at any of the offerings on this otherwise beautiful (but quite mature) property.

Entirely possible they've undergone a major renovation since my last stay (2010, 2011?), but I didn't see anybody mentioning that in this thread, so I thought I'd speak up.
Yep, they went through a pretty expensive renovation project since 2015. It's supposed to be finish up this December, which is another reason we are headed there! Going to check out how the new place is, we've heard good things from friends who went recently, and although they haven't finished, they said the new pool area/amenities and rooms were excellent!
Old Oct 12, 2016, 12:45 am

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Yep, they went through a pretty expensive renovation project since 2015. It's supposed to be finish up this December, which is another reason we are headed there! Going to check out how the new place is, we've heard good things from friends who went recently, and although they haven't finished, they said the new pool area/amenities and rooms were excellent!
I was there last December. The main pool area was under heavy construction.

I've stayed here many times over the years. It's a decent resort. I agree the food is just okay. You'll never get upgraded, just count on that. Parking is no longer included in their bogus $30/day resort fee.

The infinity pool is nice.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 7:53 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by BarryL

I've stayed here many times over the years. It's a decent resort. I agree the food is just okay. You'll never get upgraded, just count on that. Parking is no longer included in their bogus $30/day resort fee.

My feeling is it's pretty much on par with the Sheraton, Westin & Hyatt resorts on the island. +1 on the upgrade, expect the room you book will be the one you stay in.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 8:38 am

If you are a Costco member, you could also check Costco travel and see if they have a better deal on the hotel. Costco sometime have hotel package that includes room upgrade with breakfast which you cannot normally get at Hawaii even with hotel status.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've booked the standard room 3 times and been upgraded to partial or full ocean view every time.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 11:38 am

Hi there,

I'm also staying at this resort in early January. It will be for our honeymoon, any tips on how to ask for upgrades? First time in Hawaii.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 3:52 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
Also, can anyone who has stayed there recently give me some feedback? Planning to book a cabana, and heard it's ~$200-450 a day. Any possible discount? Any other discounted activities the resort offers?
What are you looking to get out of the cabana? I ask because I think they are all at the "family" pool and I'd rather spend my time at the "adult only" pool, which is the infinity pool. They have a few cabana-looking things there but I wouldn't pay that much just to have a roof.

We were there in June and there was still plenty of construction so if that is still going on maybe you can get a room close to it for a discount if you're ok with dealing with the raucous.

We really liked this nearby restaurant: http://www.monkeypodkitchen.com/wailea/
It seemed like a lot of locals were there so that was a nice change.

Skip the Starbucks breakfast one morning and go here instead: http://www.kiheicaffe.com/about.html
It's kind of a hole-in-the-wall breakfast place with a lot of outside seating.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 9:36 pm

The adult pool has a few cabanas. I think the cost was around $200 a day for those, and they include some fruit. They used to throw in two drinks with the cost of the reservation, but I don't think they do anymore. The loungers they have in the cabana have padded cushions, so they are much more comfortable than the regular loungers. The amount of shade or sun you get will vary, though, and you won't be in the shade all day. That said, I enjoyed it as a treat one day when the SO and I visited previously.

Island Gourmet (a separate building next to the Shops at Wailea) has breakfast and lunch/dinner available too, if you want to take something back to your room to eat:
https://www.abcstores.com/island-gou...rkets---wailea
Old Oct 13, 2016, 10:48 pm

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Originally Posted by Need
If you are a Costco member, you could also check Costco travel and see if they have a better deal on the hotel. Costco sometime have hotel package that includes room upgrade with breakfast which you cannot normally get at Hawaii even with hotel status.
I find Costco has great rates on rentals (Avis), but never tried hotels.

Question- For Costco bookings at Marriott, do we get points / benefits? I'm not sure you do, as I recall Expedia bookings no longer offer points.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 1:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Question- For Costco bookings at Marriott, do we get points / benefits? I'm not sure you do, as I recall Expedia bookings no longer offer points.
You would get points for incidental spend, but not points for the room nor night credit.

Cheers.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
You would get points for incidental spend, but not points for the room nor night credit.

Cheers.
I almost did the Costco booking when for my RC Aruba trip. Costco price was actually slightly better, but no points for the room. Don't need night credit. And since it is RC, no points incidental either way. If I did the Costco package, I will miss out about 45K points so I didn't. I think the Costco deal was like $200 cheaper.. but 45K points are worth more than $200 for me.

The only thing is that I read on tripadvisor that people on Costco vacation get upgraded often even without status. I wonder if Costco trumps Plat status.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 6:48 pm

Ah, good deal. Please be sure and give us a full report on your return - might put it back on the list of potential places to redeem points...
Old Oct 27, 2016, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
Ah, good deal. Please be sure and give us a full report on your return - might put it back on the list of potential places to redeem points...
They completed a nice grounds reno last winter adding a new infinity pool (1 of 3 pools) a new pool bar and some minor grounds refreshes. Currently in progress (though largely complete) is a refresh of the room furnishings, carpeting and decor.

It is no longer dated thou it retains the "old Hawaii" feel.

Disagree about the food comments- the food is excellent though resort level priced. Monkeypod and 808-Bistro help here.

Also, I have stayed here 20-30 times over the past decade. A short stay and non-full hotel always = upgrade, but recently enough rooms have been blocked for reno that you likely need to pay for what you really want.

Next stay in January...
Old Oct 29, 2016, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by cmculp
It is no longer dated thou it retains the "old Hawaii" feel.
I doubt a new property could be built so close to the water in modern times, so this will always be a real gem so long as they keep it up-to-date. I'm really looking forward to getting back and having a look for myself at some point soon...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.