Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Montreal, Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Montreal, Canada

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2019, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by MtlTourist
I visit Montreal a lot, thus my username. I am only a 6-7 hour drive away so I only fly there in the winter (only flew there twice in the past 20 years). I prefer the other seasons.
I prefer these 2 Montreal hotels (both are Marriott properties).

For Downtown:
Residence Inn Montreal Downtown. Right across the street from the Peel Metro, a few blocks walk to Crescent Street. Free hot breakfast buffet.
There is a lounge where they serve breakfast.
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...real-downtown/

For Old Montreal:
Springhill Suites Old Montreal. Right in the heart of Old Montreal. Free hot breakfast buffet.
There is a lounge where they serve breakfast. Some rooms have their own terrace too.
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...-old-montreal/

I have stayed at other Marriott properties inside Montreal, such as these:
- The old Renaissance Montreal (not the new Renaissance. The one I referred to was sold and converted to McGill student housing back in 2004)
- Marriott Chateau Champlain
- Courtyard Montreal Downtown

However, I prefer the other 2 hotels I mentioned above, and have stayed at both the Residence Inn Downtown and the Springhill Suites Old Montreal multiple times..
As a Platinum, you'd recommend the Residence Inn downtown? I was also looking at the Westin-you'd recommend the Residence Inn over the Westin? We usually stay in Airbnb's to be closer to St. Laurent area but we decided to try a downtown hotel experience for a change. Also, did you mean the Residence Inn has a platinum lounge that serves better breakfast than the usual Residence Inn fare? Do they have hor d'ouerves/drinks as well in the evening? Do they have the weekly socials?
Old Nov 5, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
I just completed a stay at the Centre Sheraton. It was fine and in a good location in proximity to Gare Centrale. As noted by others, the executive lounge is spacious and quite good - with a real bar, as opposed to the usual "honor" or attendant-driven systems used elsewhere. Big screen TV's with Saturday night hockey were a nice touch. Although no hot food was offered in the evening, what was there was very good.

The only "wrinkle" in my stay was my SNA clearing 5 days out for exactly the room I requested, then changing the day before arrival to a hospitality suite. Being just glad one had finally gone through I didn't think much of it until check-in. At check-in I was told very nicely that I could either keep the suite and forgo my 4 pm check-out (which I really needed) or downgrade to a regular room. I reluctantly withdrew the SNA request and it was credited back to my account. The regular room was quite acceptable and had been recently renovated.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by yyzflyer
At check-in I was told very nicely that I could either keep the suite and forgo my 4 pm check-out (which I really needed) or downgrade to a regular room. I reluctantly withdrew the SNA request and it was credited back to my account.
I guess I don't understand why you had to forgo the 4 PM check-out as a Titanium. That should be a guaranteed benefit.

David
seawolf likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
I guess I don't understand why you had to forgo the 4 PM check-out as a Titanium. That should be a guaranteed benefit.

David
Seems like they did honor it. He could either have the guaranteed late checkout OR the non-guaranteed upgrade. Would it have been better in your opinion if they hadn't even given him the choice?
seawolf likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
Seems like they did honor it. He could either have the guaranteed late checkout OR the non-guaranteed upgrade. Would it have been better in your opinion if they hadn't even given him the choice?
I guess in my mind, if they were going to accept the SNA and upgrade the OP, then the hotel should have a) stood behind the upgrade and b) have committed to accepting that the suite would not be vacated any earlier than 4 PM given the OP's Titanium status and the 4 PM guaranteed benefit.

While it is clear now that they didn't think it through, the hotel still should have been held to honoring both the suite upgrade as well as the 4 PM guaranteed checkout.

David
Old Nov 7, 2019, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
Exactly my thought process at the time. Had to catch a 7pm train that night from the nearby station and having the 4pm checkout, which allowed for a relaxing lunch without toting luggage, was way more valuable than any suite. They were extremely nice and apologetic about it.

Edited to add: I've spent some time doing additional reading on this and there are at least 2 examples of the same thing happening to members at other properties documented in the 4 pm check-out thread. Basically the conclusion is "you can have the upgrade and check-out on-time or forgo the upgrade and we'd be happy to extend your check-out".

Last edited by yyzflyer; Nov 7, 2019 at 8:22 pm Reason: Additional comment
Old Nov 24, 2019, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Cat. 5 property for 2 free nights

We'll be spending 2 nights (5pm on a Sunday >> noonish on a Tuesday) in Montreal next Sept. and then taking the train to Quebec City for a cruise. We have 2 Free Night certs to use. I originally considered the RI near McGill U. but after some reading it looks like the SHS, in old town, might be better because of sightseeing opportunities. Agree? Disagree?

PS Not interested in night life or fancy restaurants.

Last edited by philemer; Nov 24, 2019 at 3:53 pm
Old Nov 24, 2019, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
We'll be spending 2 nights (5pm on a Sunday >> noonish on a Tuesday) in Montreal next Sept. and then taking the train to Quebec City for a cruise. We have 2 Free Night certs to use. I originally considered the RI near McGill U. but after some reading it looks like the SHS, in old town, might be better because of sightseeing opportunities. Agree? Disagree?

PS Not interested in night life or fancy restaurants.
If you're taking the train, neither of the properties you've indicated are near the train station. There are at least 5 Bonvoy properties within walking distance however. My recommendation is the Sheraton, but the Delta is also great. Also nearby are the Marriott Chateau Champlain, the downtown Residence Inn and the Renaissance.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyzflyer
If you're taking the train, neither of the properties you've indicated are near the train station. There are at least 5 Bonvoy properties within walking distance however. My recommendation is the Sheraton, but the Delta is also great. Also nearby are the Marriott Chateau Champlain, the downtown Residence Inn and the Renaissance.
I don't need to be near the train depot. Looking for a central place for seeing the sights. Is the SHS location not advisable? It also has to be a Cat. 5 property so I can use FN certs. I have no Marriott status.
Thanks
Old Nov 24, 2019, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't need to be near the train depot. Looking for a central place for seeing the sights. Is the SHS location not advisable? It also has to be a Cat. 5 property so I can use FN certs. I have no Marriott status.
Thanks
I too would go with the SHS. It is a good location for downtown. With no Marriott status, the full service properties will cost more since you'll have to budget for breakfast. SHS will be a better value for you.

David
Old Nov 24, 2019, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I too would go with the SHS. It is a good location for downtown. With no Marriott status, the full service properties will cost more since you'll have to budget for breakfast. SHS will be a better value for you.

David

Thanks, David. And after looking at a number of rest. menus I see that Montreal is not a cheap city to dine out in. Looking forward to some local fare though.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, David. And after looking at a number of rest. menus I see that Montreal is not a cheap city to dine out in. Looking forward to some local fare though.
True. I would also highlight that the SHS had and hopefully still has a wonderful restaurant on property serving both local/regional and bistro-type fare for dinner replete with fireplaces when I was there last in 2016.

Hotel's web page for Auburge Saint-Gabriel and the restaurant's own English web page. And yes, it is not cheap - but remember the prices are in CAD.

David

Last edited by DELee; Nov 24, 2019 at 8:21 pm Reason: add links
Old Nov 24, 2019, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

True. I would also highlight that the SHS had and hopefully still has a wonderful restaurant on property serving both local/regional and bistro-type fare for dinner replete with fireplaces when I was there last in 2016.

Hotel's web page for Auburge Saint-Gabriel and the restaurant's own English web page. And yes, it is not cheap - but remember the prices are in CAD.

David
Thanks for this info. Will ck it out. It is easy to forget to subtract ~25% from their prices. ^
Old Nov 25, 2019, 5:39 am

Thanks
My only thought was helping you avoid extra taxi rides. As noted, Montreal is an expensive city in many aspects. There is nothing wrong with the Springhill and I had included the Cat 5 Residence Inn downtown, which does include breakfast.
philemer likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, UA Premier, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by googs185
As a Platinum, you'd recommend the Residence Inn downtown? I was also looking at the Westin-you'd recommend the Residence Inn over the Westin? We usually stay in Airbnb's to be closer to St. Laurent area but we decided to try a downtown hotel experience for a change. Also, did you mean the Residence Inn has a platinum lounge that serves better breakfast than the usual Residence Inn fare? Do they have hor d'ouerves/drinks as well in the evening? Do they have the weekly socials?
Sorry, I just noticed your post. I've never stayed at the Westin, so I can't comment on that. The Residence Inn does not have a Platinum lounge, as the Residence Inn brands do not have that. You would have to look at a full service Marriott property, such as the Marriott Chateau Champlain for that, for example.
As per the Residence Inn, this particular one does not have the have hor d'ouerves/drinks like the other properties. For me, I love the location, which is why I prefer it. Very easy access to the Metro and Crescent Street, for example.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.