Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Montreal, Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Montreal, Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Any reports about the Delta Hotel in Montreal?

Treatment for plats, lounge, suite upgrades, other benefits?

Many thanks!
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: MR Plat; AA Gold; UA Silver
I stayed 3 nights at the Grand Chateau Marriott. As others said, it's OK. The building is rather historic and it's your typical big downtown Marriott. No real upgrade, except for a high floor room with a nice view. The lounge breakfast was pathetic - no hot items at all. The continental restaurant weekend breakfast was much better. At least it had a waffle station and real maple syrup and hot oatmeal. Bar is OK, drinks are more expensive than anywhere else I went. I never used the metro (I just walked or took an uber) but the hotel is right on top of a metro station and about a 5 min walk to their grand central. It's about a 20 min walk to Old Montreal.

I stayed here because it was by far the least expensive Marriott during the dates I was there. If I'm in Montreal again (I hope I will be, it was amazing!) I would stay here if it was cheap. If cost is not object, maybe stay at the Renn, which is in a better location for touring.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Any reports about the Delta Hotel in Montreal?

Treatment for plats, lounge, suite upgrades, other benefits?

Many thanks!
The sultry Mrs. Newman and I stayed at the Delta in April.
In recognition of my Platinum status we were upgraded to a large room with a balcony. The room was clean and modern.
At check-in we were given vouchers for a free breakfast at the hotel restaurant even though the lounge served a pretty decent breakfast. The lounge was open 7 days per week. Nice! It was decent sized and had a separate overflow room on the next floor. At no point did we need to use the overflow. Each night they had 2 hot servings - one pasta and one meat/chicken/shrimp.

The gym is one of the best around. It's more of a health club than a gym.

The hotel is centrally located about a block from the subway station and a block from McGill University.

I very much enjoyed my stay in the Delta, and I prefer it to the much older Marriott Chateau Champlain.

Note: In November, 2018 a Fairfield Inn will be opening up in Montreal
http://www.saplysarchitects.ca/lord-...ites-montreal/

NEWMAN

Last edited by hhoope01; Jul 9, 2018 at 1:01 pm Reason: Fixed Signature to fit FT guidelines.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by DL-Don
I'm staying at the FS Marriott in Montreal this weekend and it has certainly gone way downhill from my previous stays:
  1. There are no longer any hot items for breakfast. No scrambled eggs, no bacon, no sausage. It was hard boiled eggs, slices of cheese and ham.
  2. The evening items are very limited. There was some kind of puffy pastries with a little mystery meat inside. Bleck!!
  3. The remote control to the TV didn't work because it was the control for the TV and not the little box next to the TV the decodes the channels. I waited while someone came and diagnosed the problem.
  4. The air conditioning doesn't work when the curtains are closed because the long curtains block the air vents. You have know to get down on your hands and knees and tuck the curtains behind a little metal lip to unblock the air vents. I waited while someone came and explained why the air conditioning wasn't working.
  5. The maid knocks on the door twice quickly and then barges into the room. Good thing I was decent because she certainly gave me no time to tell her not to come in.
  6. This is the only Marriott in the world I have encountered that wants to charge me $30 for a refrigerator. They have stopped using the minibar refrigerator in the room but it still sits there, now locked and unused, so they can charge $30 to bring one in.
  7. The up-charge for the full buffet breakfast on the weekends when using the coupons that come from not having the lounge open is now $10 CDN.

The bathrooms are still the size of postage stamps. I knew that but you'd think after so many years, they would find a way to remodel the rooms and fix that situation.

While the outside may have an interesting appearance, the cheese grater look, the inside is long in the tooth in design, very skimpy on amenities, and in need of employees who know what they are doing.

The full scale downtown Marriott was recently acquired by new owners who plan to do top-to-bottom renovations.

https://www.meetingscanada.com/marri...n-hospitality/

It sounds great.
I just hope they will keep it in the Marriott family...

Newman
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
This is an interesting post-merger exercise. The combined Marriott/Starwood selection in Montreal is pretty extensive, and I have a weekend stay coming up. Here are the prices I see on a per night basis (all in CAD):

Renaissance - 503
W Montreal - 465
Courtyard - 238
Marriott - 350
Sheraton - 305
Delta - 237

A number of hotels are sold out (including the Ritz Carlton), so something must be going on in the city

The Courtyard seems to be well regarded, so I'm not sure why I wouldn't just book that. Any comments?
Old Sep 15, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Adelphos
This is an interesting post-merger exercise. The combined Marriott/Starwood selection in Montreal is pretty extensive, and I have a weekend stay coming up. Here are the prices I see on a per night basis (all in CAD):

Renaissance - 503
W Montreal - 465
Courtyard - 238
Marriott - 350
Sheraton - 305
Delta - 237

A number of hotels are sold out (including the Ritz Carlton), so something must be going on in the city

The Courtyard seems to be well regarded, so I'm not sure why I wouldn't just book that. Any comments?
The plot thickens. Prepaid rates for the W Montreal have come down to $430 for a king bed. Assuming prices will continue to come down, I will strongly consider the W.

W Montreal comes in at #27 on TripAdvisor, with the Courtyard and Residence Inn at #29/#30.

Any thoughts?
Old Sep 15, 2018, 5:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
For a savings of $200C I'd book the CY if it gets good reviews & spend the $$ saved on something fun, like a nice dinner out or a bottle of bubbly.

Cheers.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Montreal downtown advice

Spending one night in Montreal next month, looking for advice on best property within walking distance of Central Station. Delta looks like best value but is a long walk; Champlain is closest and even the Courtyard gets good reviews. Will probably have to rely on exec lounge for food based on schedule, so Courtyard probably off list. Looking for comparison of Champlain, Sheraton and Delta, with special attention to upgrades and exec lounge. Any input with recent real-life experience much appreciated.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
I’ve stayed at the chateau Champlain more times than I care to admit. I do like it there.

if you stay there, hopefully Josephine is working the bar.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:27 am

I ended up staying at the Residence Inn. Fairly new, good housekeeping service, and well located for my stay purpose. It was about 30CAD cheaper than the Courtyard over the two nights. The breakfast was a zoo on the first day, so we got breakfast outside on the other days.

To be frank, I forgot that Residence Inn stays earned fewer points than Courtyard. Given this (and the fact we didn't really use the breakfast), I think the Courtyard would have been a better option among the limited service brands. Among the full service brands, the W and Ritz-Carlton each look pretty cool.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:31 pm

Programs: AC, AA, Marriott Rewards, Tim Hortons
Question Best hotel in Montreal on points?

Heading to the Just for Laughs Festival in July for three nights and planning to use points and/or free one night certificates, so wondering what the collective wisdom is on the best Cat 5?

I don't need a gym, pool, free breakfast (no status to speak of), etc., just a nice hotel in a central location. Larger and/or newer or refurbished rooms are a plus, but location is key.

Thoughts?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:01 pm

MTL

I haven't actually stayed at any of the Montreal Bonvoy properties, but whenever I am in MTL, I always try to stay near the Berri-UQAM subway stop. It looks like the newly opening Fairfield Inn (cat 5 opening in March) is just a block away. Every subway line goes through that particular stop, so you don't have to deal with transfers, and the airport bus (I think it's the 747) drops you off right there as well. It's also one of the first stops from downtown Montreal back to the airport, so you are guaranteed a seat on the way back (which is saying something when it's sweltering outside and the bus has no AC). Getting on later in the route likely means it'll be standing-room-only by the time you board, and you will be crammed in like sardines for the 45 minute ride.

I haven't attended JFL before, but have been in town a couple times during the festival. I remember the festival being in the Quartier des Spectacles area (where the Fairfield is), which is always bustling and has a lot of restaurants/bars. I can't imagine it's going to be fancy, but I don't think there's a better located Bonvoy hotel if you are there for the festival/want a good base to explore MTL.

If you're looking for something a little nicer than a Fairfield, so long as you stick with a hotel near a subway stop, you should be just fine.I personally find the Old Port a little inconvenient location-wise, but the hotels downtown should fit the bill.

Have a great time and be sure to leave some time to check out the incredible food scene--I highly recommend La Banquise (T-Rex poutine), Schwartz's (get a medium-fat smoked meat sandwich with a pickle), and St-Viateur Bagels (their sesame bagels are better than Fairmount Bagels IMO). Au Pied de Cochon is also excellent if you have a weakness for foie gras; their ham (cut directly off the leg at your table, so get your camera ready) with maple donuts sounds bizarre but is always one of my favorite things to eat in the city. Dieu du Ciel is a must if you are into beer.
BondGuy likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by BondGuy
Heading to the Just for Laughs Festival in July for three nights and planning to use points and/or free one night certificates, so wondering what the collective wisdom is on the best Cat 5?

I don't need a gym, pool, free breakfast (no status to speak of), etc., just a nice hotel in a central location. Larger and/or newer or refurbished rooms are a plus, but location is key.

Thoughts?
The new AC is less than a year old, and the new Courtyard is about 2. Both are located right next to the festival and will minimize the walking you'll do if that's important. I haven't been to the AC, but stayed at the Courtyard and Westin a few times, and the Delta and Le Meridien once each. The Courtyard still appears new and is fairly nice for a Courtyard. Since you mentioned room size, I had a large size corner room twice. If you want to be closer to Old Montreal at all, the Westin is closer.

If you want to maximize your certificates though you might consider the Renaissance which is going up in price next month.

Last edited by rrgg; Feb 15, 2019 at 9:46 am
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:27 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Thoughts on the Sheraton vs the Delta for a week-long stay ($230/night vs $224/night)? I've stayed in the Sheraton back in 2013 and really liked their lounge + room, whereas I wasn't so hot on the Delta's room (I didn't have Delta lounge access at the time, so can't compare).
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Recently stayed at the Delta. Room was adequate and lounge was nice, with a good selection of finger food and desserts in the evening. Wine served was better-than-average, but priced accordingly. Was given voucher for full breakfast buffet in main restaurant (very good), so did not sample lounge in the morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.