Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Montreal, Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Montreal, Canada

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Admirals Club, Marriott PLT Premier, Hertz President's Circle
Any recent stays at the FS Marriott downtown? Seems that this hotel only gets decent reviews. Looking at spending a weekend up in Montreal at the end of May.

Also, saw the Renn is supposed to open June 2016 per the Marriott website.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by ssafro1
Any recent stays at the FS Marriott downtown? Seems that this hotel only gets decent reviews. Looking at spending a weekend up in Montreal at the end of May.

Also, saw the Renn is supposed to open June 2016 per the Marriott website.
I would do either the CY or the SHS if you are going to Montreal for touristy kinda things. The SHS has the better location. The CY has new, bright, airy rooms in a plush hotel, and is only a few blocks away. You actually pass the SHS walking to the tourist areas. It's easy to get from the airport to the CY using public transportation - the bus stop is on the same block - and it's Bistro-less, but has a nice restaurant. At this point, I find the CY to actually be nicer than the FS, even though the FS is in that iconic building that's just awesome. There is no CL, but you are a block from a supermarket where you can get cheap water, drinks and snacks to bring back to your room.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 11:05 am
Suspended

And, it's a block from Chinatown!

I just relinquished my Category 5 room reservations for this year's Jazz Fest as the lineup over the July 4th holiday is horrible.

I had heard that this and other Canadian festivals are suffering because of the exchange rate with the US $$.

They charge to a largely Canadian audience in CDN $$ (although there are many, many US attendees at the Jazz Fest), but the performers require them to pay them in US $$.

This was the worst batch of July 4th weekend performers I have seen in some time and the headliners on the 4th are not even Jazz musicians, they are country musicians!

Nevertheless, it is a great city to visit if you have not been there recently.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 11:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Admirals Club, Marriott PLT Premier, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by CJKatl
I would do either the CY or the SHS if you are going to Montreal for touristy kinda things. The SHS has the better location. The CY has new, bright, airy rooms in a plush hotel, and is only a few blocks away. You actually pass the SHS walking to the tourist areas. It's easy to get from the airport to the CY using public transportation - the bus stop is on the same block - and it's Bistro-less, but has a nice restaurant. At this point, I find the CY to actually be nicer than the FS, even though the FS is in that iconic building that's just awesome. There is no CL, but you are a block from a supermarket where you can get cheap water, drinks and snacks to bring back to your room.
Ah, just called. Unfortunately the only property available on points for my dates is the FS... Guess that decides that then!
Old Apr 30, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by ssafro1
Ah, just called. Unfortunately the only property available on points for my dates is the FS... Guess that decides that then!
How lucky that your last choice is still a very good choice! It's an iconic building (the cheese grater) and the staff and hotel are awesome, even if a little dated. (The hotel, not the staff!)
Old May 11, 2015, 11:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Wanted to post a quick rave review about RI Montreal Downtown as its close (as in 4 blocks) to McGill University and Mont Royal while being close enough to old Montreal, Bell Centre and pretty much the rest of the downtown sights in 10 - 20 minute walk. The nearest Metro stop, Peel, is a half block away and the hotel is on Rue Peel near Rue Sherbrooke which are two main streets any Montreal cabbie would know. Important however to specify which RI you mean as there are two in the city so adding "Residence Inn Downtown on Peel" brought a knowing nod from my cabbie.

Big king and a pull-out very firm twin sofa bed, full kitchen with fridge & freezer, plenty of cupboard space and cutlery/utensils, plates, etc. you could make some meals but with a generous breakfast buffet included in the room rate I didn't use the kitchen much other than to store beverages and make coffee.

Overall huge value in a super central location.

Last edited by tcook052; May 12, 2015 at 2:50 pm
Old May 12, 2015, 1:40 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update & for the tip re: location to tell the cabbie.

Cheers.
Old May 24, 2015, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by PetzLUX
Stayed recently at the Marriott Chateau Champlain.

Breakfast in restaurant, when lounge is closed:
Only the cold stuff and juices/coffee. If you want hot stuff and waffles, you must pay an upgrade of 7 CAD.
Back here for 2 nights.
The upgrade for the hot stuff at breakfast in the restaurant is now at 9 CAD.
Or if you choose not to get breakfast in restaurant, you get 750 points.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 8:16 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Residence Inn Montreal Downtown - Stay Report 8/12-8/14

Location: The hotel is located in Downtown Montreal on Rue Peel half a block from the Peel Metro Station. It's near McGill, Mont Royal, a half mile to the train station and the Bell Centre and about 2 miles from Old Montreal. The street its on is currently under constructions so there's some noise and road blockage. The area around the hotel is very nice too, high end stores and restaurants and bars with a more local nightlife scene than the Old Port Area.

Hotel: The building itself is very nice, though the sterile modern feeling they went with is a little cold to me. The lobby is small though it has a decent pantry you can buy snacks from. The check in area is somewhat cramped but thankfully they seem to get through people quickly. On the 2nd floor is the breakfast room which contains their business center and their fitness center. Do note that waits for the elevator are long and the elevators are too small so often when it gets to your floor you can't get in, this was really frustrating.

Check In: Handled quickly and efficiently and the Wifi was explained to me. Also, as a Silver Elite the agent gave me a welcome snack of a pack of chocolate.

Room: The room was very nice indeed. Really large, comfortable bed, good sized desk and chair, armchair that was great at holding bags and a better kitchen than I have at home, makes me wish i was going to cook something! It was even well stocked with cookware and flatware. I did hate the bathroom though as I don't like accessible bathrooms. Wifi was also good and there were outlets near the bed

Breakfast/Other: I only had breakfast one day because when I went to the breakfast room at 8:45 AM it was mobbed. Food was okay, french toast, eggs, sausage and some cold dishes, but it was almost impossible to find seats and the staff were overwhelmed. Also, it only runs until 9:30 AM which I think is too early.

The maid service was also a little sloppy. My bathroom vanity was missing two lights, the second day they brought double conditioner instead of shampoo and conditioner and the maid kept coming into my room the first day to try and service it despite me telling her when I'd be leaving.

This place is 30,000 points a night and while the location is a little worse than the Courtyard, it's 5,000 points a night cheaper. I'm glad I stayed here, even with the minor issues.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 10:13 am

Thanks for the trip report & pictures. Much appreciated!

Cheers.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 4:28 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by CMK10
Breakfast/Other: I only had breakfast one day because when I went to the breakfast room at 8:45 AM it was mobbed. Food was okay, french toast, eggs, sausage and some cold dishes, but it was almost impossible to find seats and the staff were overwhelmed. Also, it only runs until 9:30 AM which I think is too early.
Must be summer high season crush as when I was there in early May there were barely 20 diners each morning.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:48 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Thanks for the trip report & pictures. Much appreciated!

Cheers.
You are most welcome, I am always happy to share my experiences.

Originally Posted by tcook052
Must be summer high season crush as when I was there in early May there were barely 20 diners each morning.
I think that makes sense, there were a lot of tourists and the hotel was hosting at least one conference. No matter though, there's a Tim's just across the street and breakfast from there was fine by me!
Old Sep 18, 2015, 12:17 pm

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
I'm staying at the FS Marriott in Montreal this weekend and it has certainly gone way downhill from my previous stays:
  1. There are no longer any hot items for breakfast. No scrambled eggs, no bacon, no sausage. It was hard boiled eggs, slices of cheese and ham.
  2. The evening items are very limited. There was some kind of puffy pastries with a little mystery meat inside. Bleck!!
  3. The remote control to the TV didn't work because it was the control for the TV and not the little box next to the TV the decodes the channels. I waited while someone came and diagnosed the problem.
  4. The air conditioning doesn't work when the curtains are closed because the long curtains block the air vents. You have know to get down on your hands and knees and tuck the curtains behind a little metal lip to unblock the air vents. I waited while someone came and explained why the air conditioning wasn't working.
  5. The maid knocks on the door twice quickly and then barges into the room. Good thing I was decent because she certainly gave me no time to tell her not to come in.
  6. This is the only Marriott in the world I have encountered that wants to charge me $30 for a refrigerator. They have stopped using the minibar refrigerator in the room but it still sits there, now locked and unused, so they can charge $30 to bring one in.
  7. The up-charge for the full buffet breakfast on the weekends when using the coupons that come from not having the lounge open is now $10 CDN.

The bathrooms are still the size of postage stamps. I knew that but you'd think after so many years, they would find a way to remodel the rooms and fix that situation.

While the outside may have an interesting appearance, the cheese grater look, the inside is long in the tooth in design, very skimpy on amenities, and in need of employees who know what they are doing.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 5:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Making my maiden voyage to Montreal for work/stay and play next month at the Marriott CC. This was the first time our travel website gave warning to be able to produce employer ID for the rate acquired. Will a business card due? Sorry this may be a simple question--but staying about 100 nts per year in hotels and I have never been asked for proof of employment.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by youvesaiditall
Making my maiden voyage to Montreal for work/stay and play next month at the Marriott CC. This was the first time our travel website gave warning to be able to produce employer ID for the rate acquired. Will a business card due? Sorry this may be a simple question--but staying about 100 nts per year in hotels and I have never been asked for proof of employment.
A business card should be sufficient. You could also have your corporate travel agent call the property to ask them.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.