Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2012, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gfunk4698844
Thanks for the advice to call again. Just got plat this AM Now time to start booking. Quick questions--do you guys know if the Marriott CC spend counts toward elite stays?
If you use your Marriott CC to pay for the stay, it counts. But this is true for any form of payment, so maybe I don't understand your question.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 3:00 pm

Thanks for the advice to call again. Just got plat this AM Now time to start booking. Quick questions--do you guys know if the Marriott CC spend counts toward elite stays?
The elite night per $3K of cc spend does not count. Nor the 15 elite nights from holding the card.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Marriott CC spend only counts towards points in the MR program, it does not earn you any additional elite credit (other than lifetime points). I do believe the Marriott CC also earns you additional nights each year that do count towards elite status regardless of spend.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by dcpilgrim
The elite night per $3K of cc spend does not count. Nor the 15 elite nights from holding the card.
Reward/cert nights do not count, but I do believe the CC nights do count towards status.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
It looks like the agents are cross-examining us harder.

I called today and told the agent I am SPG Plat. He asked me how many nights per year does SPG Plat correspond to? I told him 50 nights/25 stays, but I stay beyond that req't. He saw that I was currently MR Silver, and told me he can only match me to MR Gold. I pushed a bit and then hung up.

[Edited]

I am actually planning to complete the challenge. With Marriott's soft landing policy, I'll have Gold until 2/15.

Last edited by eethan; Sep 6, 2012 at 11:47 pm
Old Sep 5, 2012, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Reward/cert nights do not count, but I do believe the CC nights do count towards status.
The credit card nights count for status. However, they do not count towards the requirements of a challenge.
Old Sep 6, 2012, 2:28 pm

Programs: HH Gold, IHG, Platinum, MR platinum, Hyatt boycotted
Originally Posted by lsumegan
The credit card nights count for status. However, they do not count towards the requirements of a challenge.
Again, thanks for all the responses. Sorry if my post wasn't that clear, but you guys answered the question. One more follow up--do my platinum bennies count for Priceline stays? Marriott won't allow any association of a rewards number with a priceline stay, so I guess if the answer is yes, then it probably happens upon checkin and you provide your number then? Since I did the plat challenge I don't have a card . I know I shouldn't have booked through PL, but didn't think I'd be getting plat status .
Old Sep 6, 2012, 2:51 pm

Again, thanks for all the responses. Sorry if my post wasn't that clear, but you guys answered the question. One more follow up--do my platinum bennies count for Priceline stays? Marriott won't allow any association of a rewards number with a priceline stay, so I guess if the answer is yes, then it probably happens upon checkin and you provide your number then? Since I did the plat challenge I don't have a card . I know I shouldn't have booked through PL, but didn't think I'd be getting plat status .
You can get the benefits, but I don't think you get night or stay credit. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. Just call the hotel and add your MR number to the reservation.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 9:36 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Long thread and I haven't read all of it so be nice . If I do a PLT challenge and finish it this year like some of the other FTers above, my status should last through 2013 . If I do a challenge stating in Jan 2013, status would last until??? 2013 or through 2014 [akin to normal qualification]?

9 stays isn't a problem by the end of the year, especially with fall promo, but status until 2014 would be much nicer - albeit with a mattress run or two required

Also - I am nowhere near re-qualifying for Gold this year so I really could use some sort of status going forward

Cheers

Originally Posted by tomy77
Try calling back to get another rep.
If it still doesn't work maybe try to get 1 stay? Or maybe ask for gold challenge?

Another data point, i only had 1 stay with Marriott when i asked for plat challenge last month . 1st rep gave it to me no problem.
And it was 9 stays like everyone reported as well.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thegrailer
Long thread and I haven't read all of it so be nice . If I do a PLT challenge and finish it this year like some of the other FTers above, my status should last through 2013 . If I do a challenge stating in Jan 2013, status would last until??? 2013 or through 2014 [akin to normal qualification]?

9 stays isn't a problem by the end of the year, especially with fall promo, but status until 2014 would be much nicer - albeit with a mattress run or two required

Also - I am nowhere near re-qualifying for Gold this year so I really could use some sort of status going forward

Cheers
Be sure to confirm when signing up, but I believe it is the same as normal status, it runs through Feb two years after earned. So if you qualify this year, 2012, status will be good until Feb 2014. If you sign up in 2013, status would be good through 2015. I'm not sure what would happen if your 90-day window crosses over Jan 1st.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Be sure to confirm when signing up, but I believe it is the same as normal status, it runs through Feb two years after earned. So if you qualify this year, 2012, status will be good until Feb 2014. If you sign up in 2013, status would be good through 2015. I'm not sure what would happen if your 90-day window crosses over Jan 1st.
Not sure if you can get it for 2 years all the time. I believe is that Marriott would let you have the status for 1 whole calendar year after you qualified. So if you make it say in Jan 2013, I'm not sure you'll get status through 2015.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by lsumegan
You can get the benefits, but I don't think you get night or stay credit. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. Just call the hotel and add your MR number to the reservation.
Same thing booking through a travel agent, I received the plat benefits on a recent stay at a JW property/resort but did not get any night or stay credits. (I provided my rewards number at check-in.)
Old Sep 7, 2012, 7:45 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I completed my 18 nights on Wednesday (2 days ago after a week stay at the Renaissance Las Vegas for $48.30 per night LNF rate). Everything has now posted (including my third Summer promo reward). Platinum through February 2014.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 1:00 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Platinum
I tried calling back to speak to another rep to see if I could get the 9 stays as opposed to 12 which I was originally told, but the Marriott Rep said that there were notes in my profile that said that the Platinum Challenge was manually added for me and it had to be 12 stays... Oh well, I'll just have to try to get that...

So my next question (s) - I recently booked 1 night at the Renaissance Paris Arc de Triomphe for last week for myself, my wife and 2 friends. We used a combination of points and cash to stay and booked it under my Marriott Rewards Number. At the last minute, I had something for work come up and I couldn't go, so my wife and our 2 friends went. Even though I was not physically there, the stay still showed up on my account as earning points on my account but it did not qualify as a stay.

So my questions are:

1. Should this count as a stay as well since I earned points?

2. If we used all cash and no points to book this stay and only my wife stayed under my MR, would THAT count as a stay for me?

Not sure how this works, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Sep 8, 2012, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UGATraveler
I tried calling back to speak to another rep to see if I could get the 9 stays as opposed to 12 which I was originally told, but the Marriott Rep said that there were notes in my profile that said that the Platinum Challenge was manually added for me and it had to be 12 stays... Oh well, I'll just have to try to get that...

So my next question (s) - I recently booked 1 night at the Renaissance Paris Arc de Triomphe for last week for myself, my wife and 2 friends. We used a combination of points and cash to stay and booked it under my Marriott Rewards Number. At the last minute, I had something for work come up and I couldn't go, so my wife and our 2 friends went. Even though I was not physically there, the stay still showed up on my account as earning points on my account but it did not qualify as a stay.

So my questions are:

1. Should this count as a stay as well since I earned points?

2. If we used all cash and no points to book this stay and only my wife stayed under my MR, would THAT count as a stay for me?

Not sure how this works, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
I wouldn't push this issue too much. Technically, you should not have earned any points since YOU were not there. The loyalty program benefits are for YOUR stays and not anyone/everyone you know. Yes, the properties do mess up from time to time and there are tricks you can pull to make it happen more times than not. However, you need to be present to properly earn points/stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.