Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2012, 9:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
right, I've had the displeasure of sitting in that traffic too..........

Originally Posted by foun10
Thanks!
As for Yonge St.....when you're sitting in bumper to bumper, stop and go traffic on it, it seems like it will never end. In reality it's about 1,900 km long. Starts at the shore of Lake Ontario and ends somewhere along the Minnesota boarder.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
provided they'll offer it (as it looks like they're actually looking to limit it, at least to stays vrs. nights, but perhaps more)...........
Is this speculation or fact?
I am postponing my challenge till Sept 1st as I have enough stays till Dec 31st to meet the Gold challenge - would hate to see it disappear before then
Old Aug 6, 2012, 10:26 pm
Suspended

read through the posts.............. you'll see posters saying no more night challenges, but only stays................. others wanting plat challenge but only offered gold............... doesn't that tell you something (cause it does me)....... so, IMO, there's a semi-crackdown, but whether it will be tightened up further is only my opinion (and that it should be)

Originally Posted by Paulchili
I am postponing my challenge till Sept 1st as I have enough stays till Dec 31st to meet the Gold challenge - would hate to see it disappear before then
Old Aug 6, 2012, 11:00 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
read through the posts.............. you'll see posters saying no more night challenges, but only stays................. others wanting plat challenge but only offered gold............... doesn't that tell you something (cause it does me)....... so, IMO, there's a semi-crackdown, but whether it will be tightened up further is only my opinion (and that it should be)
If things stay status quo for another month, I should be OK as I only want a Gold challenge and will have 6 stays easily. I'll be in trouble only if they stop it altogether before Sept.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 11:48 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Paulchili
To protect yourself, why don't you just email them late night on 8/30 to get the offer on 8/31 and email them back late that evening which won't be processed until 9/1 (based on how the timing went for my challenge)? I totally set up my challenge via email. I am currently doing an 18 night challenge for Platinum Elite that I have to complete by Sept 30. I've already done 10 nights...all LNF BRG's...and all for my summer vacations.

This has been cheaper than Priceline NYOP for me, $63 per night at the J.W. Marriott Camelback Inn (they waived the $25 resort fee without my asking...and upgraded my room to one with a 1000 sq. ft. patio), $48 for the Renaissance Las Vegas (upgraded to club floor) and next up Renaissance Esmeralda Resort for $59...
Old Aug 8, 2012, 4:54 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Platinum
So is the Platinum Challenge nights or stays? I called last week and spoke to a rep and since I did the Taste of Gold Challenge last September, he said I cannot register for the Platinum Challenge until this September. I could have sworn he said it was based on nights, not stays...
Old Aug 8, 2012, 5:02 am
Suspended

it was previously nights/stays, but seems MR finally wised up and now offers only stays.........

Originally Posted by UGATraveler
So is the Platinum Challenge nights or stays? I called last week and spoke to a rep and since I did the Taste of Gold Challenge last September, he said I cannot register for the Platinum Challenge until this September. I could have sworn he said it was based on nights, not stays...
Old Aug 10, 2012, 8:02 am

Programs: US CP
[QUOTE=nrjanga;19067724]Just called MR and enrolled for Platinum challenge. The CSR tried to pursuade me to do the Gold challenge instead. She said it might be tough to requalify at 75 nights as I do not spend many nights at the Marriotts currently. QUOTE]

There isn't an actual downside to being Plat this year vs Gold for requalifying next year right? I can do the 9 stays in 90 days but won't reach Gold or Plat stay levels next year without a promotion. I might be better off anyway in case they offer a soft landing to Gold. Right?
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:57 am

I called and can confirm it's stays now and not nights for the Plat challenge. I could've easily done the nights, but am now wondering if it'll be worth it to break up my 3, 4, 5 night stays. Does Marriott allow check-ins, check-outs at the same property to count as separate stays if you have 24 hours in between each one? And yes, the CSR tried to talk me into a Gold challenge instead.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by love2ft
I called and can confirm it's stays now and not nights for the Plat challenge. I could've easily done the nights, but am now wondering if it'll be worth it to break up my 3, 4, 5 night stays. Does Marriott allow check-ins, check-outs at the same property to count as separate stays if you have 24 hours in between each one? And yes, the CSR tried to talk me into a Gold challenge instead.
As long as there is at least one night between check-out and next check-in at the same property then it will be considered separate stays. There are places when you can literally walk between to properties and rack up separate stays. Hotel hopping (mattress runs) are acceptable in all the programs I am aware of.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 2:50 pm

@ RogerD408 - thanks!
Old Aug 10, 2012, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA PLAT (2.8MM), DL Diamond, UA*S, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTE, Hilton DIAMOND, IHG PLT
Called tonight and was offered 9 stays for Platinum by Nov 30th. ^

Should overlap with summer and winter megabonus promotion (will have 12 stays)
Old Aug 11, 2012, 9:37 am

Programs: AirTran A+ Elite, Marriott Rewards Plat, Rapid Rewards A List, National Exec, USAir Div Mil
To echo recent reports, I called and asked for Platinum Challenge and was granted it with no questions asked. 9 stays by 11/30. I'll have exactly 9 stays so this new requirement works much better than the nights requirement (most of my stays are just 1-2 nights).
Old Aug 11, 2012, 1:05 pm

Hi, I'm new to this forum and already have a delicate question:

Signed up to the Plat challenge a while ago and am on best way to make the 18 nights before Sep 30th.

I am Plat on my online profile and am receiving the additional points, however, I wonder about how I haven't really recognized much of the perks of being a Plat since the challenge started - never received the welcome present (also no points credited) during my last three stays and also never an upgrade nor lounge access.

Would generally feel uncomfortable asking for anything and I'm even not sure if, while being on a challenge, all perks already apply. Should I complain during my next stay?
Old Aug 11, 2012, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by NonStopMe
Would generally feel uncomfortable asking for anything and I'm even not sure if, while being on a challenge, all perks already apply. Should I complain during my next stay?
Normal Platinum perks apply during the challenge. I'd say something if you don't receive the arrival bonus. You won't always get upgrades as Platinum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.