Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2012, 4:00 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EY Gold, AY Silver, MR Plat
status match

After reading this thread I thought I would contact MR and see if they would give me a challenge. In my mail I mentioned I was a Hilton Diamond. They replied saying they would status match me if I sent them a copy of my HH activity for this year or last year. I sent them this and within a couple of hours they offered me gold with no challenge required :-)
Old Aug 24, 2012, 3:42 pm

Challenge is now stay based

I just called Customer Service and asked for the challenge
Representative told me that it is now stay based rather than nights.
I tried to explain that I typically stay for 1 week (or more) and having that count as only 1 stay is unfair - nogo. Oh well. Guess I'll have to hotel hop between Marriott and Hyatt/Sheraton. I'm already Hyatt Diamond. I may ask for status match with Sheraton.

Anyways, it is now 6 stays for Gold and 9 stays for Platinum. It is still for the current month + 3 months (possibly 4 months if you sign up at the beginning of the month) - so for me I have till end of Nov. I was going to wait till beginning of Sept but I have a stay already booked for end of Aug and wanted to get a "taste" of Platinum for the stay. I currently have 16 nights and foresee getting Gold without the challenge so took the Platinum challenge.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:25 pm

Does it show when your Gold status will be expired?

Originally Posted by eddibabyyeah
After reading this thread I thought I would contact MR and see if they would give me a challenge. In my mail I mentioned I was a Hilton Diamond. They replied saying they would status match me if I sent them a copy of my HH activity for this year or last year. I sent them this and within a couple of hours they offered me gold with no challenge required :-)
Old Aug 25, 2012, 12:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
more likely then not, 28 Feb 2013

Originally Posted by sssxyz
Does it show when your Gold status will be expired?
Old Aug 25, 2012, 7:12 am

It does. It says expires 31st January 2014
Old Aug 26, 2012, 2:48 pm

You are lucky. I am a Hilton Gold member. They asked me to send them my past 12 months hotel stay from one of their competitors. I sent them all my Hilton hotel nights stay in the last 12 months (over 70+). They came back and offered me the challenge not straight match. Very disappointed.

Which # did you call or email to?
Thanks.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 6:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
it's about time MR wised up.............but still better then if you were Marriott Gold and wanted a Hilton match as if Hilton gave you the challenge you'd still have to earn it first instead of being upgraded immediately...........

I am a Hilton Gold member. They asked me to send them my past 12 months hotel stay from one of their competitors. I sent them all my Hilton hotel nights stay in the last 12 months (over 70+). They came back and offered me the challenge not straight match.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
expiration?

I'm looking at starting a Plat challenge on/around Dec 15th. I have one stay on Dec 31st and then will complete 8 more stays by 3/3 (last stay I check in on 2/28 and out 3/3).

If I start my challenge in Dec & completed in late Feb/ early March, when will my Plat status expire? 2/14? If I wait and call in to start on Jan 1st (my first stay in '13 is Jan 2nd in China) and lose out on my dec 31st stay, would I then get status until 2/15? If I can get another year I'm happy to lose out on my Dec 31 stay and just book a throwaway $80 booking locally to get my 9 stays in.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by mikelat
I'm looking at starting a Plat challenge on/around Dec 15th. I have one stay on Dec 31st and then will complete 8 more stays by 3/3 (last stay I check in on 2/28 and out 3/3).

If I start my challenge in Dec & completed in late Feb/ early March, when will my Plat status expire? 2/14? If I wait and call in to start on Jan 1st (my first stay in '13 is Jan 2nd in China) and lose out on my dec 31st stay, would I then get status until 2/15? If I can get another year I'm happy to lose out on my Dec 31 stay and just book a throwaway $80 booking locally to get my 9 stays in.
The standard has been you get status for the rest of the current year, through the next year, and then through Feb of the year after that. So if you are able to make Plat anytime during 2013, you would be good till 2/15. You might ask MR, but I believe the Dec stay would work just fine since status won't be earned until the challenge is completed.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 8:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lsumegan
No. But if the rooms are in the same hotel, you can get points/miles if you stay in one, pay for both, and include your MR at check-in.
Usually two hotels will post separately on the nights credited. It's worth a try to split the stay over two or three properties.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 10:45 pm

If I do a hotel hopping from one Marriott chain hotel to anther Marriott chain hotel (no break in between), will they count as two stays?
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:13 pm

Yes, they will be counted as separate stays=) I did it in Munich.

Cheers=)

If I do a hotel hopping from one Marriott chain hotel to anther Marriott chain hotel (no break in between), will they count as two stays?
Old Aug 27, 2012, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by sssxyz:19197839
You are lucky. I am a Hilton Gold member. They asked me to send them my past 12 months hotel stay from one of their competitors. I sent them all my Hilton hotel nights stay in the last 12 months (over 70+). They came back and offered me the challenge not straight match. Very disappointed.

Which # did you call or email to?
Thanks.
I sent a message via the "contact us" link on the rewards site
Old Aug 30, 2012, 4:28 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by directcj
I just called Customer Service and asked for the challenge
Representative told me that it is now stay based rather than nights.
I tried to explain that I typically stay for 1 week (or more) and having that count as only 1 stay is unfair - nogo. Oh well. Guess I'll have to hotel hop between Marriott and Hyatt/Sheraton. I'm already Hyatt Diamond. I may ask for status match with Sheraton.

Anyways, it is now 6 stays for Gold and 9 stays for Platinum. It is still for the current month + 3 months (possibly 4 months if you sign up at the beginning of the month) - so for me I have till end of Nov. I was going to wait till beginning of Sept but I have a stay already booked for end of Aug and wanted to get a "taste" of Platinum for the stay. I currently have 16 nights and foresee getting Gold without the challenge so took the Platinum challenge.
Is it only 9 stays for Platinum? I called on August 15th and I was told that because I applied for a Taste of Gold last year and that challenge ended in December of 2011, that "technically" I was not allowed to apply for another challenge until 1 year later, meaning December 2012. But the nice lady on the phone told me she would override that rule for me and manually enroll me in the Platinum Challenge. But she told me it was 12 stays, not 9, between August 15th and November 15th.

I wonder why they're saying different things?

Old Aug 30, 2012, 5:20 am

Programs: IHG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by UGATraveler
I wonder why they're saying different things?

Saying different things seems to be the Marriott standard. First agent told me it's invitation only, byebye. Next one enrolled me without any questions. Back then it was 9 stays during the rest of ongoing month plus three calendar months, I think.

IMHO, this Marriott standard is very annoying. No matter what you ask, you can get several totally different answers. How is one to know how many stays/nights the demands really are when they just answer something and you never know if it actually is true? And the same applies to all other questions/answer/promises as well, of course, not only this taste thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.