Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2017, 6:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by tsmith12
I recently signed up for Platinum Challenge and wanted to confirm if AAA rates would qualify towards the 9 stays requirement? I'm pretty sure the answer is yes but having never stayed at Marriott before I wanted to confirm.Thanks
Yes, they do.

Virtually all of my 9 qualifying stays were on a AAA rate.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, they do.

Virtually all of my 9 qualifying stays were on a AAA rate.

Great, thanks ^
Old Apr 6, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Check in/check out/check in for stay count?

Hi all,

I am trying to do a Plat challenge that requires 9 stays.

Can I check out and check back in on the same day to count it as a stay? How about if I move to another Marriott hotel down the road?

Thanks
Old Apr 6, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Hi all,

Can I check out and check back in on the same day to count it as a stay? How about if I move to another Marriott hotel down the road?

Thanks
You have to move. Checkin/out at the same property counts as the same stay.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Hi all,

Thanks
Changing properties is fine, but checking out and back in won't work. Now if you have a long stay and travelling with someone, you can alternate reservations with them and get credit for every other night (night 1,3,5 you, night 2,4 them).
Old Apr 13, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: AA, BA, DL, WN, UA, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Signed up for the Gold Challenge today 4/13/17. Currently Silver....will remain silver until I meet the requirements. I need to 6 stays (not nights) between today and July 31st. Then I will have Gold status until February 2019.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by BunMama
Signed up for the Gold Challenge today 4/13/17. Currently Silver....will remain silver until I meet the requirements. I need to 6 stays (not nights) between today and July 31st. Then I will have Gold status until February 2019.
Hold on, do you currently have status with SPG? Your sig says you're SPG Gold. I would suggest that you link both accounts so you get the higher status.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 12:21 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt. Marriott. AA. National. Avis.
currently in gold challenge.

Originally Posted by BunMama
i just started the same thing. anytime i'm in a city for more than one night, i'm changing hotels to speed up the process.

upon completion, would i still need to hit 75 nights/credits in order to be platinum (thus having a pretty big gap to address within 2017)? or do i just need to close the 25 night gap between the normal gold/platinum border?

regardless -- i might start hosting some meetings at marriott conference rooms to make the jump from gold to platinum more quickly too.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Originally Posted by obunewbie17
i just started the same thing. anytime i'm in a city for more than one night, i'm changing hotels to speed up the process.

upon completion, would i still need to hit 75 nights/credits in order to be platinum (thus having a pretty big gap to address within 2017)? or do i just need to close the 25 night gap between the normal gold/platinum border?

regardless -- i might start hosting some meetings at marriott conference rooms to make the jump from gold to platinum more quickly too.
You would need to get the full 75 nights to get Platinum, whether that be through stays, credit card nights, or meeting nights.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Was just emailed a random promotion for Marriott Gold. Dropped to Silver this year, out of the blue received the Gold status challenge - 3 months of Gold, retain for the year with 6 stays. I have a stay next week, shouldn't be a problem to get 6 by 7/31/17.

Enjoy a Special Treat: Gold Elite Status
gobluetwo, we have news you'll love. As part of a select group, we have upgraded you to Gold Elite status for three months. As a Gold Elite member, you'll receive exclusive benefits including:
• A 25% bonus on Marriott Rewards® points
• Guaranteed lounge access at participating brands
• Complimentary room upgrades
• Free enhanced Wi-Fi
To enjoy your Gold Elite status longer, stay* six times at a participating Marriott® brand now through 07/31/2017 and you'll maintain your Gold Elite status through February, 2019.

We took it upon ourselves to enroll you in this special program, so there's no need for you to lift a finger to enroll. Simply book now and enjoy your Gold Elite benefits.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Was just emailed a random promotion for Marriott Gold. Dropped to Silver this year, out of the blue received the Gold status challenge - 3 months of Gold, retain for the year with 6 stays. I have a stay next week, shouldn't be a problem to get 6 by 7/31/17.
Congrats! you got the Taste of Gold challenge, which is now only available via invitation as opposed to Road to Gold/Plat.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:47 pm

I got one today too under the same circumstances.
Old May 7, 2017, 12:38 pm

I am thinking about doing the platinum challenge and was wondering if you would get the platinum status during the initial period? It would be great to have United Silver status as I have a bunch of United flights coming up!
Old May 7, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by karstenth
I am thinking about doing the platinum challenge and was wondering if you would get the platinum status during the initial period? It would be great to have United Silver status as I have a bunch of United flights coming up!
See post #2336 just above. Unless you receive an invitation you'll get the Road to Platinum challenge so you won't get the Plat status till you qualify (eg 9 stays in 3 months).
Old May 7, 2017, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by yurtripper
See post #2336 just above. Unless you receive an invitation you'll get the Road to Platinum challenge so you won't get the Plat status till you qualify (eg 9 stays in 3 months).
I'm a gold right now. So I cannot reach out to Customer Service to ask for a status match?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.