Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Hmm I am planning a trip to SE Asia. I currently have gold status with marriott which will drop off in a few months. I was just going to get the amex plat to maintain gold status. Is marriott plat worth it over gold? I was marriott plat a few years ago from a status challenge, but the difference between gold and plat at that time was negligible. In SE Asia I could probably get really cheap rates to make plat. Is it worth doing? Will spg stays count towards the challenge?
Old May 7, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by karstenth

I'm a gold right now. So I cannot reach out to Customer Service to ask for a status match?
Status match from MR Gold to MR Plat? That wouldn't make any sense. Status matches are across programs not within them. If you have the Gold then what's the problem? You can do the Plat Challenge as offered. I'm doing the exact same thing (9 stays till July 31 to get Plat). If it's too hard for you to patch in 9 stays in 3 months you might want to think about if Platinum status will be worth it for you.
Old May 8, 2017, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Red259
Hmm I am planning a trip to SE Asia. I currently have gold status with marriott which will drop off in a few months. I was just going to get the amex plat to maintain gold status. Is marriott plat worth it over gold? I was marriott plat a few years ago from a status challenge, but the difference between gold and plat at that time was negligible. In SE Asia I could probably get really cheap rates to make plat. Is it worth doing? Will spg stays count towards the challenge?
There is still little difference between gold and platinum as far as property benefits, if any. So shooting for Platinum is, for all intents, just a status play.

Now you say your Gold status drops off in a few months? Status typically plays through February the second year after earned (earned May, 2016, good through Feb, 2018). You may want to recheck your account and do the math again.

Lastly, the two programs are separate programs (with status and point sharing until merged). Any stays at SPG will only count for status at SPG and the same for MR. So if you choose to do a MR challenge, then all stays need be with MR properties. SPG stays will still earn you points that you can move to MR, but not count for status or challenge qualifications with MR.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
There is still little difference between gold and platinum as far as property benefits, if any. So shooting for Platinum is, for all intents, just a status play.

Now you say your Gold status drops off in a few months? Status typically plays through February the second year after earned (earned May, 2016, good through Feb, 2018). You may want to recheck your account and do the math again.

Lastly, the two programs are separate programs (with status and point sharing until merged). Any stays at SPG will only count for status at SPG and the same for MR. So if you choose to do a MR challenge, then all stays need be with MR properties. SPG stays will still earn you points that you can move to MR, but not count for status or challenge qualifications with MR.

maybe i am mistaken about the status ending date and confusing with one of my other status programs. Thank you for your answers!
Old May 8, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
The way I see it, the biggest advantage of going from MR Gold -> MR Plat is the fact that it gives you the same upgrade on SPG into the bargain. And SPG Plat is worth a great deal more than SPG Gold.

Plus, if you're already Gold then the MR Platinum Challenge is easier to meet than the SPG one.
Old May 8, 2017, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by yurtripper
The way I see it, the biggest advantage of going from MR Gold -> MR Plat is the fact that it gives you the same upgrade on SPG into the bargain. And SPG Plat is worth a great deal more than SPG Gold.

Plus, if you're already Gold then the MR Platinum Challenge is easier to meet than the SPG one.
I haven't been all that impressed with SPG gold that is for sure.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 12:13 am

I'm confused about something. If I complete the Marriott status challenge next month, I will get Marriott Platinum status until Feb. 2019 but will only get SPG Platinum status until the end of 2017 or Feb 2018, is this correct or will I get both for the same time period?

I thought I read upstream that the SPG Platinum status would expire at the end 2017 or in Feb 2018.

Thanks!
Old Jun 3, 2017, 1:07 am
alc

Originally Posted by schwimmair
I'm confused about something. If I complete the Marriott status challenge next month, I will get Marriott Platinum status until Feb. 2019 but will only get SPG Platinum status until the end of 2017 or Feb 2018, is this correct or will I get both for the same time period?

I thought I read upstream that the SPG Platinum status would expire at the end 2017 or in Feb 2018.

Thanks!
the status match between SPG and Marriott happened annually, hence the expiration date for your SPG will show only until the end of current status year. Next year come, if SPG is still around, then it will get match again automatically. But as far as I know, Marriott will be launching the combine program next year.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 4:55 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Do you guys think if me and my wife asked Marriott to under take the challenge that they would accept even thou we have no been targeted. I am gold with Marriott and SPG along with Mrs Flame3601, and we have a trip coming up in October and if i had Marriott Plat status i would stay only at Marriott properties even thou they are a bit more expensive !

You guys reckon they will accept ?
Old Jun 4, 2017, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Flame3601
Do you guys think if me and my wife asked Marriott to under take the challenge that they would accept even thou we have no been targeted. I am gold with Marriott and SPG along with Mrs Flame3601, and we have a trip coming up in October and if i had Marriott Plat status i would stay only at Marriott properties even thou they are a bit more expensive !

You guys reckon they will accept ?
Even though I doubt they will go for it, the chance is absolutely zero if you don't ask. Give them a call and ask. Maybe they are getting more generous with the pending merger of the programs.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 7:45 am

Even though I doubt they will go for it, the chance is absolutely zero if you don't ask. Give them a call and ask. Maybe they are getting more generous with the pending merger of the programs.
I called and was informed they are not doing any "Taste of Platinums for Golds" , but will offer me a Platinum challenge. Not sure if that is correct , but also sent a PM to the Marriott Rewards team on FB and see where that leads me.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 11:50 am

Update

Marriott Rewards gold line have informed me the promotion is no longer running for golds wanting to have a taste of platinum status , they did imply it is still on the table for silvers. The call centre agent did let me know that a Platinum challenge is available to me but it was something like 18 nights/12 stays if i recall correctly. I also asked via Marriott Rewards Face Book page through PM as i always like to get a second opinion from different departments/teams. They informed me that it was not running for golds wanting to have to apply for the taste of Platinum promo , but did not mention anything about a Platinum challenge that the call centre mentioned . They did go on to say to keep asking within the coming months as these promos come and go.

Hope this helps
Old Jun 5, 2017, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
And if you read your own post above (2349) you only wanted the platinum challenge. Now that they offer it to you you're not interested. Makes no sense.

And frankly, MR P benefits aren't really that much better then G (welcome gift/points and a slightly higher bonus, but both get Lounge/breakfast/Internet) to not choose to stay at a Marriott just because they won't comp you to P.

I called and was informed they are not doing any "Taste of Platinums for Golds" , but will offer me a Platinum challenge. Not sure if that is correct , but also sent a PM to the Marriott Rewards team on FB and see where that leads me.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Update

Marriott Rewards gold line have informed me the promotion is no longer running for golds wanting to have a taste of platinum status , they did imply it is still on the table for silvers. The call centre agent did let me know that a Platinum challenge is available to me but it was something like 18 nights/12 stays if i recall correctly. I also asked via Marriott Rewards Face Book page through PM as i always like to get a second opinion from different departments/teams. They informed me that it was not running for golds wanting to have to apply for the taste of Platinum promo , but did not mention anything about a Platinum challenge that the call centre mentioned . They did go on to say to keep asking within the coming months as these promos come and go.

Hope this helps
I did the Platinum Challenge earlier this year: 9 one-night stays within, I believe, 90 days. I found it fairly easy as Marriott gold benefits are generous enough in the interim.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Srisarin
And if you read your own post above (2349) you only wanted the platinum challenge. Now that they offer it to you you're not interested. Makes no sense.

And frankly, MR P benefits aren't really that much better then G (welcome gift/points and a slightly higher bonus, but both get Lounge/breakfast/Internet) to not choose to stay at a Marriott just because they won't comp you to P.
I understand what you mean , but i was offered a challenge for 18 nights to get Plat which i will not achieve so no point taking it. The trip in October is only 5 nights so would not come near and the rest of my hotel stays have been booked. I was never interested in a platinum challenge , i was more interested in the actual " taste of gold/platinum " promotion and reaping the benefits of having plat status for a month during a trip even thou i know i will not keep it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.