Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2016, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by wanderinghome
Hi all,

I've searched this thread (and the interwebs) and cannot seem to find a definitive answer to the question of whether Points + Cash stays count towards the 9 stay requirement for the path to Platinum challenge. Does anyone know? There was one DP on like page 62 of this thread but it was far from definitive and with all the combined experience on FT I assume someone knows the answer to this question by now.

Thanks all.
also curious about this same thing. i was matched to Marriott Gold from SPG, wondering about doing the road to platinum with some points + cash as well as paid stays.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 10:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I recently inquired about a platinum challenge and was told status would only last through Jan 2018 even if stays were completed in the beginning of 2017...I did not enroll. Does anyone know if I would be able to enroll in the challenge at the beginning of 2017 and then if the status would be valid through Jan 2019?
Old Nov 4, 2016, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by svo242
I recently inquired about a platinum challenge and was told status would only last through Jan 2018 even if stays were completed in the beginning of 2017...I did not enroll. Does anyone know if I would be able to enroll in the challenge at the beginning of 2017 and then if the status would be valid through Jan 2019?
I could be wrong, but I don't think it's the norm for the challenges to result in 2-years of status. Also, with the merged programs happening in 2018 who knows if the challenge will continue or what form it will take. Is there a reason you don't want Plat status for 2017? If I were you I'd sign up now vs. waiting.

Cheers.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by svo242
I don't know what your night expectation is, but you would have all of 2017 to "earn" Platinum and IF the program continues as it currently is defined, you'd have status until 2019. If you're just looking to get status for as long as you can without expecting to maintain it, then you may be in for a surprise and the programs meld together and develop new T&Cs.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 3:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I could be wrong, but I don't think it's the norm for the challenges to result in 2-years of status. Also, with the merged programs happening in 2018 who knows if the challenge will continue or what form it will take. Is there a reason you don't want Plat status for 2017? If I were you I'd sign up now vs. waiting.

Cheers.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
I don't know what your night expectation is, but you would have all of 2017 to "earn" Platinum and IF the program continues as it currently is defined, you'd have status until 2019. If you're just looking to get status for as long as you can without expecting to maintain it, then you may be in for a surprise and the programs meld together and develop new T&Cs.
Thank you both for your input!
Old Dec 15, 2016, 12:37 pm

so if I start a plat challenge in november 2017 that ends in january 2018, do I get platinum until Feb 2019?
Old Dec 23, 2016, 5:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
When does challenge status expire if I completed it in July? I'm at 49 nights right now..
Old Dec 23, 2016, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
When does challenge status expire if I completed it in July? I'm at 49 nights right now..
You should read the T&Cs of your specific challenge (they can differ). Most common is the same track had you earned it through stays/nights, through February two years later (reach status 7/16, good through 2/18). Again, your terms could be different, but not likely.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 12:12 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
You should read the T&Cs of your specific challenge (they can differ). Most common is the same track had you earned it through stays/nights, through February two years later (reach status 7/16, good through 2/18). Again, your terms could be different, but not likely.
Are the T&C available online? I never got any since I cold called MR for the challenge.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 12:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by YUL438
also curious about this same thing. i was matched to Marriott Gold from SPG, wondering about doing the road to platinum with some points + cash as well as paid stays.
Do points+cash stays count for the road to Platinum challenge?
Old Dec 24, 2016, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
Are the T&C available online? I never got any since I cold called MR for the challenge.
There should have been an email as a followup so you know what they are expecting. If it's been more than a week since your call, I'd call back and ask. Anything we say would only be speculation as to what your challenge entails.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Do points+cash stays count for the road to Platinum challenge?
Typically any stay using points do not count and are considered award stays. Most programs specify "[fully] paid stays".
Old Dec 24, 2016, 4:29 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I was asking about Marriott's program above, not about other programs.

There should have been an email as a followup so you know what they are expecting. If it's been more than a week since your call, I'd call back and ask. Anything we say would only be speculation as to what your challenge entails.
Email? I have requested Platinum challenges for accounts and gotten the Marriott Rewards accounts enrolled without any such follow-up email on what Marriott is expecting. So then it's back to calling up Marriott Rewards to find out the T&Cs for the challenges.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I was asking about Marriott's program above, not about other programs.

Email? I have requested Platinum challenges for accounts and gotten the Marriott Rewards accounts enrolled without any such follow-up email on what Marriott is expecting. So then it's back to calling up Marriott Rewards to find out the T&Cs for the challenges.
I fully agree... If you don't know what you signed up for, call them back and get the specifics. We can only guess it will be the same as what we may have done before. I still say there should be an email, the fact they don't send one is irrelevant.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 9:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I just called Marriott and was offered the Platinum challenge. Nine stays between now and the end of April. Status will be good through 2018. Contrary to what some have suggested here, they do not send a follow-up e-mail (I asked). Agent said they track progress "internally" and the challenge won't show on the website either.

Agent was very pleasant and it was a positive experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.