Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2016, 1:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.2.858 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Curious if this was "taste of Gold" or "path to Gold" and how many nights.

Thanks.
I think Path to Gold, 6 nights.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by gooseman13
I have silver status. Just called up and asked about an elite challenge and was offered Gold Challenge, but told I can only do Platinum challenge if I already have gold status. Does this sound right?
Do you have similar status on a competitor (that you told them about)?
Old Mar 17, 2016, 1:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by sethb
Do you have similar status on a competitor (that you told them about)?
Gold with Hilton, Platinum with Hyatt, Gold with SPG. I said "I have status with other hotel brands" on the call, but didn't get and wasn't asked to be specific.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by gooseman13
Gold with Hilton, Platinum with Hyatt, Gold with SPG. I said "I have status with other hotel brands" on the call, but didn't get and wasn't asked to be specific.
All of those are second-highest (equivalent to Marriott Gold), so they might not have helped. Specificity might have even then, though.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by beckoa

Curious if this was "taste of Gold" or "path to Gold" and how many nights.

Thanks.
"Taste of Gold" is only granted by HQ & they don't seem to be doing that any more, or not lately.

"Road to Gold/Plat" is usually 6/9 (G/P) in 90 days.

It does seem that they're only offering one level challenges (ie, silver to gold, gold to plat). If someone is silver & they want to do the gold challenge they'll get most of the bennies of Plat (PAG & % aside).

Cheers.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 9:44 pm

Programs: QR Plat
Marriott status bump email

I just got an email, after being silver for a few years due to some long stays at two Executive Apartment properties in APAC, that I've been bumped to gold until the end of June.

If I have 6 stays within end of June they'll let me keep gold untill january 2018.

The mail mentions "participating properties", but has no list of them, or link to where I can find them.

Anyone seen this before? Is it worth it? What hotels are participating?

-A

UPDATE: Turns out I might have gone blind. Huge thread spotted. Will go read there.

Last edited by ph-ndr; Mar 18, 2016 at 9:47 pm Reason: Poster has gone blind.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
I have a weird situation. I am about to hit gold. Even though I have 33 nights right now, I have a stay for 2 nights coming up soon, then my credit card anniversary nights will post. My plan was to sign up for a platinum challenge after that. I have a long and expensive stay in Europe this summer, and I wanted to be platinum for that stay.

Well, I just got an e-mail from Marriott signing me up for a Gold challenge without my consent. I'm not going to have 75 nights before that stay in Europe this summer. So this might ruin my plan.

Right now, this feels more like a penalty than a reward if it prevents me from signing up for a platinum challenge. I guess I will call them on Monday and see if they can fix this.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

I am pretty frustrated about this right now...
Old Mar 19, 2016, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life
I received the same bump to Gold last night, although it says if I have 6 stays before June 30th the status will be Gold thru FEB, 2018 (you'res mentioned January?).

Have you looked here?:

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/elite.mi

Since they don't publish which hotels "participate," I think it would warrant a call to Marriott to find out if a hotel you are considering "participates." It sure would be nice if they mentioned whether a property "participates" somewhere in the description of that property.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 9:23 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2 Million-miler , SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Marriott Platinum Challenge

Anyone tried the platinum challenge recently? Comments?
Old Mar 20, 2016, 12:55 pm

Location: SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold:AA Plat, Now retired but previous NWA PLAT 2 Million +, United 1K plus etc etc
I just received an email called "Enjoy a Special Treat"
Bigshaker, we have news you'll love. As part of a select group, we have upgraded you to Gold Elite status for three months. As a Gold Elite member, you'll receive exclusive benefits including:
• A 25% bonus on Marriott Rewards® points
• Guaranteed lounge access at participating brands
• Complimentary room upgrades
• Free enhanced Wi-Fi
To enjoy your Gold Elite status longer, stay* six times at a participating Marriott® brand now through 06/30/2016 and you'll maintain your Gold Elite status through February, 2018.

I had 2 Marriott stays ytd and 2 future Marriott reservations. This opportunity will now earn my 6 nights business in the next 90 days, thank you very much!
Still waiting for a Hyatt promo....
Old Mar 21, 2016, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by jeanie
I have a weird situation. I am about to hit gold. Even though I have 33 nights right now, I have a stay for 2 nights coming up soon, then my credit card anniversary nights will post. My plan was to sign up for a platinum challenge after that. I have a long and expensive stay in Europe this summer, and I wanted to be platinum for that stay.

Well, I just got an e-mail from Marriott signing me up for a Gold challenge without my consent. I'm not going to have 75 nights before that stay in Europe this summer. So this might ruin my plan.

Right now, this feels more like a penalty than a reward if it prevents me from signing up for a platinum challenge. I guess I will call them on Monday and see if they can fix this.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

I am pretty frustrated about this right now...
Sounds like Marriott HQ is doing its 'taste of' challenge, which in cases like yours can screw up your plans. Your best bet is to call MR & see if they'll switch you. The other question is can you hit the Gold challenge they're already giving you & then do another 9 to hit the Plat challenge before your stay in Europe? If you can meet the Gold requirements & then the Plat requirements you'd still have your Plat access by the time you get to Europe (depending when in the summer you're going). Otherwise call MR & ask for their input on what can be done.

Originally Posted by Bigshaker
I just received an email called "Enjoy a Special Treat"
Bigshaker, we have news you'll love. As part of a select group, we have upgraded you to Gold Elite status for three months. As a Gold Elite member, you'll receive exclusive benefits including:
• A 25% bonus on Marriott Rewards® points
• Guaranteed lounge access at participating brands
• Complimentary room upgrades
• Free enhanced Wi-Fi
To enjoy your Gold Elite status longer, stay* six times at a participating Marriott® brand now through 06/30/2016 and you'll maintain your Gold Elite status through February, 2018.

I had 2 Marriott stays ytd and 2 future Marriott reservations. This opportunity will now earn my 6 nights business in the next 90 days, thank you very much!
Looks like HQ is signing up folk for the 'taste' challenge, which is a bit strange given there have been no answers on some folk wanting the road challenge.

Cheers.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 9:34 am

Basically 99% of Marriott properties participate. I wouldn't worry about that. And Marriott's elite status runs through end of Feb usually.

Cheers.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 7:16 pm

Anyone have success calling and getting the taste of gold promo.

I just screwed up: Wanted to sign up for 2 chase cards tonight, decided on PC and Ritz to get gold status. Signed for PC, and went to get ritz and got an error bc I was using the same browser. When I opened the new browser I accidently signed up for the Marriott card. I feel like such an idiot!!! Spent all afternoon deciding between Ritz or Hyatt and ended up with a freaking Marriott card. (pending approval)
Old Mar 27, 2016, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by kathysrewards
Anyone have success calling and getting the taste of gold promo.

I just screwed up: Wanted to sign up for 2 chase cards tonight, decided on PC and Ritz to get gold status. Signed for PC, and went to get ritz and got an error bc I was using the same browser. When I opened the new browser I accidently signed up for the Marriott card. I feel like such an idiot!!! Spent all afternoon deciding between Ritz or Hyatt and ended up with a freaking Marriott card. (pending approval)
You're discussing 2 different things. Taste of Gold & a credit card. As you noted, your bad on the credit card.

"Taste of Gold" is only given by HQ, not the Marriott reps. Odds are you won't get it & instead will have to do the "Road to Gold" (unless you can sort out getting a Ritz credit card).

Cheers.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 7:25 pm

Pardon my ignorance but what is HQ?

Also on a side note (probably the wrong forum) Do you think I should apply for the Ritz card also making 3 apps in one day?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.