Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2015, 6:59 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards: Platinum
Hey all, I just called the MR number, and they told me they can NOT offer any challenges, and you need to call corporate. First time I've heard of this - or am I out of the loop?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by eishv
Hey all, I just called the MR number, and they told me they can NOT offer any challenges, and you need to call corporate. First time I've heard of this - or am I out of the loop?
No, you just got an agent that doesn't wish to do the work or hasn't been trained yet. You can try calling again and maybe get someone better trained.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by RogerD408
No, you just got an agent that doesn't wish to do the work or hasn't been trained yet. You can try calling again and maybe get someone better trained.
Depends on what challenge was asked for. The Taste comes from HQ. The Road the reps can do (but as you note, rep might be lazy or untrained).

Cheers.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG
No Soup (Challenge) for Me!

My stays are down and on occasion in past years, I was offered a challenge where if I stayed a certain number of nights (usually around 14 nights) in the last quarter, that I could keep my gold status This usually worked well for me because the bulk of my travel is the last quarter of the year. In the past, I was offered the challenge in September for stays the last quarter. FWIW, I also have the Marriott Visa card.

I called to politely ask if I could be offered the same type of challenge this year, but the rep told me No,….that particular challenge is done by corporate and if I was eligible, corporate would contact me about it…..that there was no one I could call at corporate to request it.

Candidly, if I will not have a similar challenge….and consequently no hope to keep my gold status, it would make sense for me to focus on one of my other hotel loyalty programs.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 2:40 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by cmh flyer
My stays are down and on occasion in past years, I was offered a challenge where if I stayed a certain number of nights (usually around 14 nights) in the last quarter, that I could keep my gold status This usually worked well for me because the bulk of my travel is the last quarter of the year. In the past, I was offered the challenge in September for stays the last quarter. FWIW, I also have the Marriott Visa card.

I called to politely ask if I could be offered the same type of challenge this year, but the rep told me No,….that particular challenge is done by corporate and if I was eligible, corporate would contact me about it…..that there was no one I could call at corporate to request it.

Candidly, if I will not have a similar challenge….and consequently no hope to keep my gold status, it would make sense for me to focus on one of my other hotel loyalty programs.
You can't challenge EVERY year. Think about why.... it would mean that there is no point to the real qualification for elite status. That is, you would only have to pass the challenge each year--never actually stay more than that. Most years, though, Marriott will offer a buyback of status if you missed. The buyback is like 40k points for Platinum, 25k points for gold
Old Sep 25, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by NDN
You can't challenge EVERY year. Think about why.... it would mean that there is no point to the real qualification for elite status. That is, you would only have to pass the challenge each year--never actually stay more than that. Most years, though, Marriott will offer a buyback of status if you missed. The buyback is like 40k points for Platinum, 25k points for gold
Yes, I realize that one can't challenge EVERY year. FWIW, I just received the Marriott email offering me the gold challenge.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 10:31 pm

Programs: AC SE
Stay on the 31st of month?

I was offered a status promo where I could keep Gold status if I do 6 stays between Aug 1 and Oct 31. I've got 5 so far, but am looking to add a 6th in short order. If I book a room for Oct 31 but checking out November 1, would it count as a stay by Oct 31 for status challenge promo purposes?
Old Oct 24, 2015, 11:37 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by gcashin
I was offered a status promo where I could keep Gold status if I do 6 stays between Aug 1 and Oct 31. I've got 5 so far, but am looking to add a 6th in short order. If I book a room for Oct 31 but checking out November 1, would it count as a stay by Oct 31 for status challenge promo purposes?
Ya it should be fine. It's staying the night of 10/31
Old Oct 25, 2015, 3:20 am
Suspended

while I agree with RedElmo that its more likely then not that you'll get credit for the night of 10/31 in truth the folks you should have asked and then they'll never be any questions later is the group that gave you the challenge, but I guess it's easier to post your question here then either e-mail or phone MR and get the disputable answer.

Old Oct 25, 2015, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Read the terms of the promo. There should be verbiage stating if you must check in or out by 10/31. I have seen offers where you must check out on or before the last day of the promo and there have been promos when you must check in before the last day of the offer. Unless someone here is on the same promo and have have read the terms we are just guessing.

If you have any way of pulling the stay off a day or two earlier, I'd suggest you do it. Hate to come up one night short.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 7:42 am

Programs: Delta PM 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Yes, a stay starts on the date when you check-in.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 1:22 pm

The offer I got to allow me to keep my gold status was for the dates of Oct 1- Dec 31-- but I haven't stayed in Marriotts as much this year, so I need 14 nights.

ETA: Shoot, I was expecting confetti or horns or something since I finally hit 90 posts. I've only been a member since 2002, lol.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 6:10 pm

I received a "If you stay with us just 20 nights between October 1 and December 31, 2015, you'll maintain your Platinum Elite status through February 2017."
Do my 15 nights from the Marriott Credit Card count towards that?
Old Oct 26, 2015, 6:12 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
No way that counts.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 8:07 pm
Suspended

what is it about the words "If you stay.................."" that's so confusing?

Originally Posted by noob23
I received a "If you stay with us just 20 nights between October 1 and December 31, 2015, you'll maintain your Platinum Elite status through February 2017."
Do my 15 nights from the Marriott Credit Card count towards that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.