Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2015, 10:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
My bad.. Been busy fixing up other issues so the writing was rather incoherent.

Imjust looking for challenge options as ive spent close to 3000usd lately in rc so am hoping for some quick status to help with cheap stays.

As id have thought some may get status based having spent less than that.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 10:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Where the heck are you guys finding $50 Marriott rooms? I'd love to know your secret.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 2:29 pm

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Hi Kaka,

Originally Posted by kaka
My bad.. Been busy fixing up other issues so the writing was rather incoherent.

Imjust looking for challenge options as ive spent close to 3000usd lately in rc so am hoping for some quick status to help with cheap stays.

As id have thought some may get status based having spent less than that.
Yes, in the US, you can find rooms for less than $50 per night. Also, the meeting organizer thread gives ides.

No, Marriot as a call center will not help you find cheap rooms. But if you give the collective here some parameters, I'm sure we can find ideas.
'
In the end, it's not about how much you spent so far, it's about availability out there.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Mar 15, 2015, 9:25 pm

Completed by Gold Challenge this weekend. Stay was credited today and status was updated immediately. Bit unfortunate because I was staying somewhere else right after before status kicked in. But overall very nice.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by dblue
Completed by Gold Challenge this weekend. Stay was credited today and status was updated immediately. Bit unfortunate because I was staying somewhere else right after before status kicked in. But overall very nice.
If you're still there you can ask for status benefits (as appropriate).
Old Mar 17, 2015, 6:30 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
In general, is it worth it to stretch for Gold?

I made Marriott Silver status last year based on hotel stays. I received a letter saying I was upgraded to gold until June 30... If I complete six stays from April 1 through June 30, I secure gold through February 2017. I have two Marriott stays scheduled during that time, I may have more. Is it worth it to come up with random stays to meet this threshold? I may have one or two more business trips during this time period, but at this time I am more of a "Silver" level traveler naturally.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Originally Posted by Adelphos
In general, is it worth it to stretch for Gold?

I made Marriott Silver status last year based on hotel stays. I received a letter saying I was upgraded to gold until June 30... If I complete six stays from April 1 through June 30, I secure gold through February 2017. I have two Marriott stays scheduled during that time, I may have more. Is it worth it to come up with random stays to meet this threshold? I may have one or two more business trips during this time period, but at this time I am more of a "Silver" level traveler naturally.
For a few stays a year, it's probably not worth it. In addition, as a silver, you would be rolling nights over, counting towards lifetime status, so over time, you would get to lifetime gold faster.

If you do have a number of stays for the remainder of the year, is the lounge benefit worth it to you?

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Mar 18, 2015, 6:19 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Gold, AA Gold
Rather frustrated with Marriott right now.

Back in mid-February, I emailed the status challenge email and requested a Marriott Gold status challenge. I was already Marriott Silver.

I'm a new consultant, travelling Mon-Thurs every week. At that point, Marriott emailed me with the terms of the Gold challenge (6 stays before end of May 2015) to be qualified as Gold. Great, no problem, I was excited to have Gold status by the end of March (6 weeks = 6 stays).

I'm in the middle of my 5th stay, but when I checked in this week, I saw that I was already listed as Gold. This caused me to double check the challenge email from mid-Feb, when I noticed that I had to respond to the email to accept the challenge offer. As busy as I am, I missed that little detail, so my last 5 stays apparently do not count.

I emailed back and forth a few times with Marriott Rewards customer service, as well as called their telephone customer service, and they won't budge -- they can't backdate the Gold status challenge start date to the original email date. I strongly suggested that I was likely to cancel my remaining reservations with Marriott (12 stays over the next 12 weeks) over my frustration, and they didn't seem to care.

I'm enrolled in the Taste of Gold challenge, so it would require me to stay another 6 times to qualify. I was hoping to use stays in April and May to count towards Platinum status, or switch to getting SPG Platinum status, instead of still working on qualifying for Marriott Gold.

What are my options? Am I just out of luck, and have to restart my 6 stays? At this point I have 31 nights this year (including with my Marriott Rewards Visa) so 6 more stays @ 3 nights each will get me to Gold just through the normal 50 nights.

I'm totally inclined to switch to the Sheraton up the road and start on their Platinum challenge instead for my next 12 stays. I'm not particularly interested in switching back and forth 1 night at a time just to get to 6 stays.

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 6:31 pm
alc

bluepig1, is there more than 1 Marriott properties where you traveling every week? If so, just change hotel every day - hotel 1, then hotel 2, then back to hotel 1, etc.. that will get you the # of stays you need. Also, I think from reading this thread, once you did a taste (or challenge) to gold, you can't do taste (or challenge) to Plat any more within the same year/period. So, not sure if you actually want to go back to your email with Marriott and ask to switch to Plat instead now.

In regarding to your situation about the start date, the email instruction was pretty clear they need you to respond first, so since you already had some back and fore with them already and they are not willing to do anything, my guess there isn't much you can do now.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bluepig1
I was hoping to use stays in April and May to count towards Platinum status.
I don't understand.

You need 75 nights in 2015 to make Platinum irregardless of what date your Gold Challenge started.

Why would stays in April or May count more or less in those months towards the 75 nights for Plat?
Old Mar 18, 2015, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I don't understand. You wanted Gold, you got it. All your nights/stays count towards Platinum whether or not you have any sort of challenge.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 8:15 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Gold, AA Gold
I don't understand. You wanted Gold, you got it.
I don't actually have it, but only temporarily through the Taste of Gold promotion. That status goes away unless I stay another 6 stays after June 30.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding -- if I were Gold as of next week (as the original challenge would have been fulfilled), I assumed I would need 25 more nights to qualify for Platinum and therefore the stays next month would help get me there. However, if I understand VickiSoCal correctly, then it sounds like I'm incorrect and even if I were to be Gold at 35 nights next week, I'd still need to hit 75 total nights to be Platinum.

Either way, I think I was hoping to be able to get my Marriott Gold status taken care of, and then could have the flexibility to work towards another chain's status.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 8:22 pm
alc

Originally Posted by bluepig1
Maybe I'm misunderstanding -- if I were Gold as of next week (as the original challenge would have been fulfilled), I assumed I would need 25 more nights to qualify for Platinum and therefore the stays next month would help get me there. However, if I understand VickiSoCal correctly, then it sounds like I'm incorrect and even if I were to be Gold at 35 nights next week, I'd still need to hit 75 total nights to be Platinum.
what you get is Gold status, not 50 nights credits toward your status. So, you will need a total of 75 nights in order to become Platinum. That is why I suggested above that you should talk to the agent(s) that you are dealing with now and see if they can grant you a Taste or Challenge of Plat status. It will required 9 stays. if you do the 1-night stay in my suggestion above, you will hit this a lot faster.

good luck.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The number of nights/stays it take to reach Platinum is not affected by any challenge for Gold. (If you get taste of platinum / road to platinum, those will affect it, of course.)
Old Mar 21, 2015, 10:34 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Told a coworker about this and he signed up a week ago. He's got 4 stays already and has some trips coming up

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.