Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2014, 2:26 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Got the same email, unsolicited. Got the same thing in February of 2013.

3 months of Gold Elite status, and if you do 6 stays you get the Gold until 2016.

My account does now show Gold status.

Greg
Old Oct 14, 2014, 3:23 am

Same for me. I like it. I would never make Gold with Marriott as I have to spread my stays over 3 to 5 different chains and have to stay also in places without any chain properties.

Now I just need to figure out how to work 6 Marriott stays in 3 months. I would be much easier if they would say 6 stays or something like 10 nights in total.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Well that's irritating (not for you guys!). I've got a friend that was denied the taste "because we no longer offer those" & he's in the middle of a road challenge, so he doesn't get his bennies until 3 more stays.

Cheers.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 9:29 am

Anyone have luck requesting it?? I was told it is a Corporate Direct promo and reps cannot authorize. I was just about to accept a Road to Challenge, but knowing this exists makes me not want to.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 9:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Mine was a "road" not a taste. I finished the 9 stays real quick while I was traveling for business . Less than theee weeks. But I didn't get the bennies until I was finished.

Hope this clears up some questions.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
I just logged in today and my account shows Gold status. It looks like all these e-mails went out on 10/13. I would try calling and request it if you didn't get the e-mail.

I would have also liked to see a nights quota as well. My stays are usually international and consist of 2 weeks in the same hotel.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 12:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
I received the same email with an upgrade to Gold. I hope that I am not screwed with this deal. I currently have 38 nights for 2014 and was hoping to get to about 45 nights at Silver so that 35 nights would roll over. With the credit card 15 nights and 25 nights I would hit Platinum in 2015 which would go through 2016. If I have Gold status at 12/31/14 will I lose all rollover nights since the Gold goes through 1/31/15?

I am planning a 30th anniversary trip to Asia in June 2016 and wanted Plat status for the trip. I called Marriott and was assured that if I don't meet the challenge I will still have all of the rollover nights above 10. Keeping my fingers crossed that she was right.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ

Got this offer too

Being staying more at Marriott
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:46 pm

My friend that I got signed up for the Road challenge emailed me tonight with a screen pic saying "Congrats You've Achieved Gold Status". I'm wondering if he got the Taste email you all got, which gives Gold. The problem is he's halfway through the Road & only needs 3 more stays. If they signed him up for the Taste they want 6 more out of him. What did the email that the recent Taste people got say? Any info appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
My friend that I got signed up for the Road challenge emailed me tonight with a screen pic saying "Congrats You've Achieved Gold Status". I'm wondering if he got the Taste email you all got, which gives Gold. The problem is he's halfway through the Road & only needs 3 more stays. If they signed him up for the Taste they want 6 more out of him. What did the email that the recent Taste people got say? Any info appreciated.

Cheers.
Subject: Congratulations, Gold Elite Upgrade For you

Body:Your Gold upgrade begins now
Congratulations, you have been upgraded to Gold Elite Status! Your benefits now include lounge access, room upgrades and free Internet.1 2 3
Book Now
We are upgrading you for the next three months so that you can experience Gold Elite Status firsthand. To extend your upgrade:

Stay* 6 times between 10/13/2014 and 01/31/2015.

Enjoy your elevated status through February, 2016.
With 3,800 hotels across 15 distinctive brands, upgrading to Gold Elite has never been easier.
* A 'stay' is defined as consecutive nights spent at the same hotel. regardless of check-in/check out activity.
We appreciate your loyalty, and we look forward to seeing you at one of our hotels soon.

From the people who posted that received this, this e-mail may have been targeted at people who stay outside the US. Of the all the nights I have so far, only 2 have been in the US.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 10:16 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by catarina
Good point. Do they let you do a Platinum Challenge right after a gold?
I could do the 6 nights in Van, then I do have another booked 9 after that at the Edmonton Ren and Ottawa.
One thing to watch out for - I also had the 3 month Gold Upgrade "granted" to me through an email last year - is that this counts as a challenge. I wasn't travelling in the months they "selected" for me, hence lost the challenge, and later asked for a Plat challenge.

I was told I was not permitted to, as I had a challenge earlier this year. Regardless of it being automatically assigned to it, it counted as my yearly challenge opportunity.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 10:56 pm
AAL

Originally Posted by Absolute
One thing to watch out for - I also had the 3 month Gold Upgrade "granted" to me through an email last year - is that this counts as a challenge. I wasn't travelling in the months they "selected" for me, hence lost the challenge, and later asked for a Plat challenge.

I was told I was not permitted to, as I had a challenge earlier this year. Regardless of it being automatically assigned to it, it counted as my yearly challenge opportunity.
This happened to me about 2 years ago too. I pushed back and convinced Marriott that it wasn't fair that I was disqualified by a challenge that I hadn't asked for, and they relented. I think it helped that I had several stays already booked (which is why I wanted to do the challenge at that particular time). I got about 18 months of Gold -- it's been lovely, especially not having to pay for the $35 (each) breakfast in Venice.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by OsoJoe
Subject: Congratulations, Gold Elite Upgrade For you

Body:Your Gold upgrade begins now
Congratulations, you have been upgraded to Gold Elite Status! Your benefits now include lounge access, room upgrades and free Internet.1 2 3
Book Now
We are upgrading you for the next three months so that you can experience Gold Elite Status firsthand. To extend your upgrade:

Stay* 6 times between 10/13/2014 and 01/31/2015.

Enjoy your elevated status through February, 2016.
With 3,800 hotels across 15 distinctive brands, upgrading to Gold Elite has never been easier.
* A 'stay' is defined as consecutive nights spent at the same hotel. regardless of check-in/check out activity.
We appreciate your loyalty, and we look forward to seeing you at one of our hotels soon.

From the people who posted that received this, this e-mail may have been targeted at people who stay outside the US. Of the all the nights I have so far, only 2 have been in the US.
Thanks for the verbiage. I've asked my friend to forward the email. He sent me a bit of a screen shot from his phone that says "Congratulations! You've achieved Gold Status. Now you'll enjoy travel on a whole new level".

But he's only 3 stays into the 6 stay road challenge so he shouldn't be at Gold yet (he would have had the 6 last week, but colleagues went for a boutique hotel). I just don't want him to think he doesn't have to do anything & he'll be good (he'll certainly get the remaining 3 stays in) or find out it's due to Taste & they want an additional 6 rather than 3 stays.

Re: your theory on overseas. I don't think so. His stays have all been domestic. He did the stays to get to Silver the normal way (they had offered a Silver challenge earlier this year, but I declined on his behalf because we wanted to get the Gold for him).

Cheers.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 7:32 am

Programs: AA, Marriott, HHonors
Originally Posted by hoorayb33r
Anyone have luck requesting it?? I was told it is a Corporate Direct promo and reps cannot authorize. I was just about to accept a Road to Challenge, but knowing this exists makes me not want to.
I recently requested a platinum challenge. Used to be platinum, but got a new boss that was dyed in the wool Hilton. I converted and was HHDiamond for the past few years. Boss left, and i'm running back to Marriott

The rep told me the platinum challenge is a "rare corporate exception" and was based on my previous platinum status and strong desire to give Marriott my business. Am in currently in mid-challenge.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:39 am

I called on behalf of my friend. We had him signed up for the Road challenge & he was halfway to that. Marriott decided to sign him up for the Taste challenge, so he's technically registered for both. I expressed my concern that he only has to do 3 more stays to hit gold with the road, but with taste it would be 6. The rep said the system would know/ie, once he gets the next 3 he's legit under the road. If by chance he missed it, the taste is his back-up. However, because they signed him up for taste he does get the gold bennies while he completes the road. Once he completes the road I'll call Marriott on his behalf again to make sure they have it in the system he completed it & will be gold until 2016.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.