Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Nothingggggggg on the web siteeeeeeeeeeeee is correctttttttttttttttt

(give it a few days)
yeunganson likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mitchwebb
I received a email when I started my challenge that I would be Platinum Elite even though it was before merger.

"Thank you for confirming your acceptance of the terms for this special offer from Marriott Rewards Guest Services.
I have now registered your account for a Platinum Elite Status challenge. This registration is pending and will be processed within three business days. The dates of this offer are from 04/18/18, to 07/31/18.
Once nine qualifying paid stays post to your account during the trial dates your account status will be upgraded to Platinum Elite through January 2020".
The new Elite Tiers were announced by Marriott on 4/16/18. Your email might have been a form letter auto filled with your applicable dates.

James
Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:57 pm

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Originally Posted by johndoes
I called Marriott and rep mentioned Platinum via challenge / promo is not eligible for Platinum premier status.

If you're still working on Platinum challenge, don't bother - you were gold already and all gold were upgraded to Platinum status.
​​​​​​
This is extremely disappointing !
So, wasn't Platinum status reached via challenge a real Platinum, but just a Gold one (as as were before) ?!?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:03 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Marriott Titanium, KF Gold
Originally Posted by GoldenItalianBoy
​​​​​​
This is extremely disappointing !
So, wasn't Platinum status reached via challenge a real Platinum, but just a Gold one (as as were before) ?!?
I think the rep is clueless about the Platinum Challenge.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 12:04 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Marriott Titanium, KF Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
Revisit the thread

For those of us who have completed the Challenge before August 1st, do you see your status changed from Plat to Plat Premier?

I just notice mine remains being Plat since it is upgraded 2 days after the 9th stay posted on July 11th but it remains Plat despite Aug 1st has long passed. I dont know for those folks who earn their Plat status the standard way have seen their status changed to Plat Premier or not, given Marriott has pushed back the final program merger to Aug 18th.

Would welcome any information so we who have done the Challenge and completed it before Aug 1st in good faith can know if ours would turn into Plat Premier or not.

I am afraid that when in late July Marriott handed out the Plat to anyone who signed up the Challenge regardless the stay, we those who have completed the Challenge before August 1st, are lumped into the same group and would not be given the Plat Premier status.
I completed the challenge in May, still Platinum
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:15 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Anyone who first have clear explaination about this matter from Cust.Service, please post here. Thank you!
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:53 am

Programs: IHG Ambassador , Marriott platinum, United, Delta
Originally Posted by Kacee
Sorry, but you clearly don't understand how the tiers have translated in the new program. New Plat is equivalent to old Gold, which is what we had BEFORE we met the challenge.

Exactly. I was already Marriott Gold, which would have converted to new Plat. Old Plat = new Plat Premier.

This is a total cluster. Unfortunately, I don't feel there's anywhere else to go. And I already have sixty-some nights this year, with another six booked for the next six weeks (though it appears they are also screwing me out of my SPG Amex elite qualifying nights credit).
I do understand but the Gold to Plat. with the merger was only until January 2019. Now with the Challenge I have Plat until January 2020.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by EG8196
I completed the challenge in May, still Platinum
​​​​​​
Same here ..
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS), OZ Diamond (*G), TK Elite (*G), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Completed it in June. Still Plat. If this is the case I got zero value out of completing the promotion.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:35 am

Programs: UA GS/MM, MR PPE/LTG, ‎TSA Pre✓, NEXUS, APEC BTC, UKBF RT, CLEAR, DXB E-GATE
I'd give it another 4-6 weeks and then call in. New Platinum = Old MR Gold. I also found out that they have devalued the old MR Gold ... no lounge access
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IAHFlyBoi
I'd give it another 4-6 weeks and then call in. New Platinum = Old MR Gold. I also found out that they have devalued the old MR Gold ... no lounge access
Fact Check - Old MR Gold = New MR Plat, still the 50 night level, still lounge access, bunch of upgraded benefits compared to before Starwood came into the picture...
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:56 am

Anybody managed to reach Marriott CSO's to clarify why the old MR plat (supposed to be new plat elite) have been short changed? Lines seems to be on hold forever....
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
This is A.10 from the Starwood Wiki (I remember it cos I added this question myself). Ignore the bit about August 1st. It's obviously August 18 that's applicable here.

A10. Will those who got Marriott Platinum via a status challenge this year (supposedly valid till Feb 2020) be switched to Platinum Elite or Platinum Premier Elite on August 1?
Platinum Premier Elite, if the member met the Platinum Elite challenge. <added by Starwood Lurker30Apr18>
So the lurker says PP and I've never come across anything to suggest otherwise.

You could only take the challenge if you were MR Gold already, so I agree that it was truly pointless for any kosher MR Gold to take the challenge just before the program merger, if it indeed turns out that people who got Plat this way end up at the same level they would have been anyway (MR Gold => new Plat). For a linked MR Gold (via SPG) it would still have been worth it (to get Platinum instead of the useless Gold level).

The only advantage you got would have been the ability to utilise SPG Plat benefits (and slightly better MR Plat benefits) in the intervening period, but I think that far less would have bothered with the challenge if they knew that was going to be the outcome.

What about DPs from people who had MR Plat the old style B-on-B way? Are there any out there who are still Platinum? It would be useful to know if it was only affecting people who had done the challenge.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by yurtripper
So the lurker says PP and I've never come across anything to suggest otherwise.
Yes this is what I always understood. It doesn't make any sense otherwise.

I'll make PP this year on nights but am still royally pissed about this. (And no, status has not updated on the website - Marriott says I need 40 nights for Premium Platinum, SPG (which has screwed me out of 4 nights AMEX credit) says I need 53.)
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes this is what I always understood. It doesn't make any sense otherwise.

I'll make PP this year on nights but am still royally pissed about this. (And no, status has not updated on the website - Marriott says I need 40 nights for Premium Platinum, SPG (which has screwed me out of 4 nights AMEX credit) says I need 53.)
The game is still in play. Wait for the last card before conceding the pot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.