Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:50 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
The challenge is back, apparently.

https://milelion.com/2018/09/06/marr...ailable-again/
Old Sep 6, 2018, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by danger
First, sorry, I got my terminology mixed up. To clarify:
  • I was SPG Gold via a MasterCard promotion.
  • This matched to Marriott Gold.
  • I took the Marriott Platinum challenge.
  • I finished the challenge in March and got Marriott Platinum that matched to SPG Platinum.
  • I hit 18 August with less than 10 Marriott nights and less than 10 Starwood nights.
  • My Marriott account is now showing I'm Platinum Premier Elite while my SPG account is showing I'm Platinum Elite.
I'm concerned that if I merge my account I'll end up with Platinum Elite rather than Platinum Premier Elite.
You should be good for PP status after your combination. The CSRs saying no, if you don't have 75 nights is wrong (frustrating but not surprising). I do believe the SPG matching to Plat is wrong but it won't matter for you once you combine.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 9:01 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RogerD408
You should be good for PP status after your combination. The CSRs saying no, if you don't have 75 nights is wrong (frustrating but not surprising). I do believe the SPG matching to Plat is wrong but it won't matter for you once you combine.
I appreciate that, thank you. When I do finally merge I'll be sure to report back.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 9:10 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

[Duplicate.]
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: UA GS/MM, MR PPE/LTG, ‎TSA Pre✓, NEXUS, APEC BTC, UKBF RT, CLEAR, DXB E-GATE
Originally Posted by yurtripper
It's just unbelievable that they're still telling people stuff like this - I also did the challenge (from kosher MR Gold) in the middle of last year but after a few days of showing Platinum my status switched to PPE.

Maybe they're treating people who did the challenge from matched MR Gold differently? But I can't really believe this. I'm sure I've seen counterexamples already posted here and a fundamental principle of status challenges is that when you complete the challenge you ARE that status. Not pseudo-Plat or quasi-Plat. I don't think even Marriott can be crazy enough to start pulling stunts like that, so I would ignore the CS blather and keep fighting for PPE.
Fight with whom exactly? The emails sent are not being responded to, and the CSRs apparently are clueless.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AS MVP Gold 100K, Hilton Diamond(Amex), Marriott Platinum
This is the third response I have received, all from different people. All basically had the same response.
YMMV,

Good Day Mr. .....,

Thank you for your patience while I reviewed your email below. I do sincerely appreciate your feedback and comments.

The Platinum Elite Challenge was in place for Gold Members to help achieve the Platinum Status early.

As of right now, all members must meet the criteria that is not with a Platinum Challenge in order to be upgraded to The Platinum Premier Status.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. We value your loyalty and business to The Marriott brand. I understand there are a lot of changes that have occurred and I am here to assist you with any questions or concerns you may have.

Warm Regards,

..... ......
The Ritz-Carlton & Marriott Hotels
Corporate Guest Relations Office
Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:26 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Originally Posted by macmedic
As of right now, all members must meet the criteria that is not with a Platinum Challenge in order to be upgraded to The Platinum Premier Status.
Maybe they are talking about the NEW platinum challenge and not the previous one?

Because, from a legal point of view, if one have properly obtained Plat status (even with the challenge), there are no reasons for not being upgraded to Premier (that is the former Plat status)....
Old Sep 7, 2018, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by macmedic
This is the third response I have received, all from different people. All basically had the same response.
YMMV,

Good Day Mr. .....,

Thank you for your patience while I reviewed your email below. I do sincerely appreciate your feedback and comments.

The Platinum Elite Challenge was in place for Gold Members to help achieve the Platinum Status early.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. We value your loyalty and business to The Marriott brand. I understand there are a lot of changes that have occurred and I am here to assist you with any questions or concerns you may have.

Warm Regards,

..... ......
The Ritz-Carlton & Marriott Hotels
Corporate Guest Relations Office
It's looking like someone is spreading their wrong info and others are buying into it. I'm not sure if the Lurkers are online for MR issues, but you might try reaching out to them. Maybe they can forward the issue to someone that can do some "retraining" to get the specific agent(s) on track. Otherwise, kick back and wait for the systems to get stabilized and the problem may fix itself.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm not sure if the Lurkers are online for MR issues, but you might try reaching out to them. Maybe they can forward the issue to someone that can do some "retraining" to get the specific agent(s) on track.
That's pointless. I emailed Lurker asking for assistance with this and received a canned response (from Christina):

A small segment of members may still see an incorrect status in their member profiles. This is being corrected. You may check Marriott for the update of the merger.
Two follow-up messages have been ignored. (As have two emails to Marriott submitted via the website.)

Otherwise, kick back and wait for the systems to get stabilized and the problem may fix itself.
At this point, I'm pretty sure this is not going to be fixed. Marriott doesn't care.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
That's pointless. I emailed Lurker asking for assistance with this and received a canned response (from Christina):
That is unusual. You might try a PM to William, he might have better resources
Two follow-up messages have been ignored. (As have two emails to Marriott submitted via the website.)
I'm sure they have to set priorities right now. Never ignoring customer communications should be the goal, but you've got to admit this is a massive project for an overwhelmed team.
At this point, I'm pretty sure this is not going to be fixed. Marriott doesn't care.
This suggestion was based upon my own experience. I watched my account migrate from one set of issues to another to another and is still making progress. I didn't expect them to get it right the first time. I am not in a rush and not missing any earning opportunities so I have the luxury to watch the show. When it gets critical for me, I will take issue hoping they have figured out how to make manual adjustments and being allowed to do so as needed. Everyone sets their own priorities. If you need immediate resolution (good luck) then keep at it, your choice.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 10:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This suggestion was based upon my own experience. I watched my account migrate from one set of issues to another to another and is still making progress. I didn't expect them to get it right the first time. I am not in a rush and not missing any earning opportunities so I have the luxury to watch the show. When it gets critical for me, I will take issue hoping they have figured out how to make manual adjustments and being allowed to do so as needed. Everyone sets their own priorities. If you need immediate resolution (good luck) then keep at it, your choice.
I'm pretty good at this game, including accomplishing "fixes" through various cs channels. This feels to me like one they are not going to fix. I don't recall any other program essentially ignoring four messages from a top tier elite, sent through two different channels. I'm also rather troubled by the many reports of members in the same boat as me being told that they won't get PP until they reach 75 nights.

These folks are making UA customer service look absolutely top rank.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm pretty good at this game, including accomplishing "fixes" through various cs channels. This feels to me like one they are not going to fix. I don't recall any other program essentially ignoring four messages from a top tier elite, sent through two different channels. I'm also rather troubled by the many reports of members in the same boat as me being told that they won't get PP until they reach 75 nights.

The only saving grace here is the chance of this getting fixed en masse is high, especially regarding the PP status. It's like when the computer hangs up and people go crazy clinking things until it responds. There are pacers and there are sitters. The toughest thing to do is sit and wait, but knowing when it's time to take action.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA GS/MM, MR PPE/LTG, ‎TSA Pre✓, NEXUS, APEC BTC, UKBF RT, CLEAR, DXB E-GATE

I'm right there with you. The odds of them magically fixing this are low. I'm going to call one of the international numbers next week and see if I have better luck as some have reported. </Pacer>

Last edited by IAHFlyBoi; Sep 7, 2018 at 2:59 pm Reason: Added "Pacer" :)
Old Sep 7, 2018, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That is unusual. You might try a PM to William, he might have better resources
You may want to read William's latest posts. They will NOT touch anything on the Marriott side other than relating the information. He has already said this, more than once, since his return from a much needed vacation.

At this point it is very evident that there are issues that Marriott just dont care, namely the status earned via Challenge that somehow is not converted correctly, as well as the Travel Package that it is uniform SILENCE from both Marriott and the blogs.
Kacee likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
You may want to read William's latest posts. They will NOT touch anything on the Marriott side other than relating the information. He has already said this, more than once, since his return from a much needed vacation.

At this point it is very evident that there are issues that Marriott just dont care, namely the status earned via Challenge that somehow is not converted correctly, as well as the Travel Package that it is uniform SILENCE from both Marriott and the blogs.
I can see them wanting to stay away from MR specific issues, but I see this as a MPG issue where they are not counting the nights properly. I'd really hate to see the CSRs being able to bail on addressing an issue because it touches the other program, which is supposed to be merged now? We'll never be able to get anything addressed. Maybe the wording needs to be coached properly, like: I had x MR nights and y SPG nights prior to combining my accounts, now I am showing z nights. Now a good CSR will do the research and correct the error, a bad one will see you did a challenge and say no dice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.