Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: NH Platinum; UA Silver; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by GoldenItalianBoy
Will it last till Jan 2020 ?
They told me so prior the merger.
Right; as you said, that is indeed when the PP status should expire, if you completed the challenge after Feb 2018.
I haven't heard anything confirming that yet, and I am wary of trusting even their Twitter manager to come up with the right answer.
I'm sure this isn't a priority for Marriott right now though, so I'd rather let them finish handling the rest of their merger issues and wait until Feb 2019 to see whether the status will stick.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by IAHFlyBoi
It seems you have to have 75 nights to be PPE, even if you met the challenge, they will NOT bump you up to Platinum Premier, you must have nights, regardless of successfully completing the Platinum challenge earlier in the year. The CSR I spoke to said that legacy Platinums that had 75 nights were bumped up to PPE. Folks such as us that met the challenge and got bumped from Legacy Gold to Legacy Platinum will remain Platinum, till we satisfy the 75 night requirement. For me it is a moot point, as I will cross that threshold soon, for others that were hoping to get bumped to PPE, with <75 nights, I wouldn't hold my breath. If there are those amongst us that are now PPE b/c they met the challenge earlier this year and have <75 nights, would love to hear from you.
IAHFlyBoi, did you read my reply to you at #2890 above?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA GS/MM, MR PPE/LTG, ‎TSA Pre✓, NEXUS, APEC BTC, UKBF RT, CLEAR, DXB E-GATE
Originally Posted by yurtripper
IAHFlyBoi, did you read my reply to you at #2890 above?
Seems like a mixed bag so far...some have made it to PPE while others are pending.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: CX Gold, KE Morning Calm, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
The phone agents can't do anything for you (except provide bad information), so that's a complete waste of time (yours and theirs).

I reached out to various other Marriott/SPG resources concerning their failure to update my status, and couldn't even get a response (some great cs ).

Reportedly, Marriott has a special team working on updating status. I was skeptical, but they finally fixed mine late last night. I suspect yours will get fixed on its own, but I appreciate your frustration in the meantime.

ETA: And now my status has switched back down to Platinum. Unbelievable.
I just get their reply via DM in twitter "We see that you were matched Gold from SPG. As this was a match through SPG your status is Gold". I was so surprised that I got this standard reply again despite I have sent them the print screen of the challenge sent from Marriott Rewards and my record of stays showing that I completed the Gold Challenge (which shall be Platinum in new program). It is just so unlucky for me that I reached Gold in SPG prior I finished the challenge and I am wondering if that will over-ride my challenge. If this is the case, it just doesnt make sense at all too, Marriott itself should have all the records.

It seems they are losing my record on this or they are just not going to do investigation but just saying what they believe they are right.

I am getting frustrated and I have a few stays in the coming weeks.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rain187
I just get their reply via DM in twitter "We see that you were matched Gold from SPG. As this was a match through SPG your status is Gold". I was so surprised that I got this standard reply again despite I have sent them the print screen of the challenge sent from Marriott Rewards and my record of stays showing that I completed the Gold Challenge (which shall be Platinum in new program). It is just so unlucky for me that I reached Gold in SPG prior I finished the challenge and I am wondering if that will over-ride my challenge. If this is the case, it just doesnt make sense at all too, Marriott itself should have all the records.

It seems they are losing my record on this or they are just not going to do investigation but just saying what they believe they are right.

I am getting frustrated and I have a few stays in the coming weeks.
No it wont. I have been SPG Gold for the past 3 years and I signed up the Challenge in late May, finished it in first week of July (did not want to take a chance to finish it after Aug 1st) It changed to Plat the same day when the last qualifying stay posted. It changed to PP sometime last week.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by WorldPalmHand
I can't tell if Marriott is still in the process of upgrading those to Plat Premier that did a platinum challenge early this year.

I'm still not Plat Premier. I'm not sure the percentage of you who are versus who are not.
Me neither. Beginning to feel like I’m the only not upgraded. Hard to believe they’d start a new challenge without fixing everyone’s status from the previous challenges...
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:13 pm

Programs: SPG+Marriott Platinum
I emailed Marriott 48 hours ago on my lack of upgrade to PP post-merger and no reply yet. I have many upcoming stays so it's now about to start to impact me.

Originally Posted by Brooke123

Me neither. Beginning to feel like I’m the only not upgraded. Hard to believe they’d start a new challenge without fixing everyone’s status from the previous challenges...
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I finally received a reply after a week which stated that because I received platinum from the taste of platinum promotion last year that I wouldn't be upgraded to PP until I earned 75 night credits this year. Seems I didn't win the Marriott lottery as others who were taste of platinum platinums are reporting being PP now.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Brooke123

It is just unbelievable that they basically do not check your history or take one step further to verify your status.

Originally Posted by Happy
No it wont. I have been SPG Gold for the past 3 years and I signed up the Challenge in late May, finished it in first week of July (did not want to take a chance to finish it after Aug 1st) It changed to Plat the same day when the last qualifying stay posted. It changed to PP sometime last week.
I have finally get this sorted out by calling the local customer services (Not US one) and they just used less than 5 minutes and dig out my record and said I am qualified Gold via Marriott Challenge so shall be Plat in new program and even update the system manually for me as she know I have trips coming up.

The funniest thing is I spent like 2 weeks to msg / email with the CS and all I got the reply is I get my Gold through status match with SPG even though I sent them the proof. How pathetic it is.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rain187
It is just unbelievable that they basically do not check your history or take one step further to verify your status.

I have finally get this sorted out by calling the local customer services (Not US one) and they just used less than 5 minutes and dig out my record and said I am qualified Gold via Marriott Challenge so shall be Plat in new program and even update the system manually for me as she know I have trips coming up.

The funniest thing is I spent like 2 weeks to msg / email with the CS and all I got the reply is I get my Gold through status match with SPG even though I sent them the proof. How pathetic it is.
Did you call the Hong Kong number or the Korea number? I need to use an old travel package cert. Calling the US numbers are 30 to 45min wait to get a human and then 80% of the time the human rep did not know or were not willing to find out how to get it done. Calling the Hong Kong number 10 days ago were told their system was not even loaded the new table information (the screen was BLACK when pulled up) so she could not help me. She said almost 100% of the calls were related to the mess created by the merger and they had to extend working hours to handle the calls.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:17 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by RogerD408
??? Platinum Premier is PP so this isn't making a lot of sense.

If you made MR Plat prior to the merge, then you should be MR PP. The linking of accounts should be gone. If you were SPG Gold prior to the merge, you should be SPG Gold now. When you combine your accounts you should be MPG PP. They still have more work to get everything worked out so expect to see changes if you don't combine before they get to your SPG account.
First, sorry, I got my terminology mixed up. To clarify:
  • I was SPG Gold via a MasterCard promotion.
  • This matched to Marriott Gold.
  • I took the Marriott Platinum challenge.
  • I finished the challenge in March and got Marriott Platinum that matched to SPG Platinum.
  • I hit 18 August with less than 10 Marriott nights and less than 10 Starwood nights.
  • My Marriott account is now showing I'm Platinum Premier Elite while my SPG account is showing I'm Platinum Elite.
I'm concerned that if I merge my account I'll end up with Platinum Elite rather than Platinum Premier Elite.

Originally Posted by SP03
When you linked he account prior to 8/18, shouldn't the status also be matched?

I thought the point of merging post 8/18 is to combine nights and stays, so you could achieve a higher status based on the combined nights for this year. It shouldn't prevent current status from being matched.
Yes, the status was matched. I had Platinum in both programs. I hope that when I merge I keep Platinum Premier Elite, rather than just Platinum Elite.

Originally Posted by IAHFlyBoi
It seems you have to have 75 nights to be PPE, even if you met the challenge, they will NOT bump you up to Platinum Premier, you must have nights, regardless of successfully completing the Platinum challenge earlier in the year. The CSR I spoke to said that legacy Platinums that had 75 nights were bumped up to PPE. Folks such as us that met the challenge and got bumped from Legacy Gold to Legacy Platinum will remain Platinum, till we satisfy the 75 night requirement. For me it is a moot point, as I will cross that threshold soon, for others that were hoping to get bumped to PPE, with <75 nights, I wouldn't hold my breath. If there are those amongst us that are now PPE b/c they met the challenge earlier this year and have <75 nights, would love to hear from you.
This is not my experience. I had less than 10 Marriott nights and less than 10 SPG nights as of 18 August and now have Platinum Premier Elite on Marriott and Platinum Elite on Starwood.

My understanding from the below post is that my correct status is Platinum Premier Elite.

Originally Posted by yurtripper
This is A.10 from the Starwood Wiki (I remember it cos I added this question myself). Ignore the bit about August 1st. It's obviously August 18 that's applicable here.

So the lurker says PP and I've never come across anything to suggest otherwise.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 3:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WorldPalmHand
I emailed Marriott 48 hours ago on my lack of upgrade to PP post-merger and no reply yet. I have many upcoming stays so it's now about to start to impact me.
I emailed them nearly a week ago and have heard nothing.

This is by far the worst loyalty program cs I have ever experienced.

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I finally received a reply after a week which stated that because I received platinum from the taste of platinum promotion last year that I wouldn't be upgraded to PP until I earned 75 night credits this year. Seems I didn't win the Marriott lottery as others who were taste of platinum platinums are reporting being PP now.
Unbelievable.

I need to stop reading this forum. This bs is just pissing me off.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
It's just unbelievable that they're still telling people stuff like this - I also did the challenge (from kosher MR Gold) in the middle of last year but after a few days of showing Platinum my status switched to PPE.

Maybe they're treating people who did the challenge from matched MR Gold differently? But I can't really believe this. I'm sure I've seen counterexamples already posted here and a fundamental principle of status challenges is that when you complete the challenge you ARE that status. Not pseudo-Plat or quasi-Plat. I don't think even Marriott can be crazy enough to start pulling stunts like that, so I would ignore the CS blather and keep fighting for PPE.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by Happy
Did you call the Hong Kong number or the Korea number? I need to use an old travel package cert. Calling the US numbers are 30 to 45min wait to get a human and then 80% of the time the human rep did not know or were not willing to find out how to get it done. Calling the Hong Kong number 10 days ago were told their system was not even loaded the new table information (the screen was BLACK when pulled up) so she could not help me. She said almost 100% of the calls were related to the mess created by the merger and they had to extend working hours to handle the calls.
I called the Hong Kong number and then they sorted it out for me. I guess the CSR in Asia Pacific is in general much better.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by danger
  • My Marriott account is now showing I'm Platinum Premier Elite while my SPG account is showing I'm Platinum Elite.
That's the same as I have, and I think it should be the case for everyone in the same situation (Plat on MR before Aug 18 via the challenge). AFAIK, the SPG app won't show Platinum Premier for people like us until next year? Maybe it's different for SPG75 people.

Obviously, I realise that some people are still showing Platinum on the Marriott side when they should have PPE!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.