Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2013, 2:34 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by RogerD408
There should have been an eMail acknowledging the challenge, what the requirements are, and the time period. If you did not get one, call MR and request a new copy be sent. Otherwise you are flying blind and if their system should hiccup, you might get denied it was set up.
Called they said no email. they said they never did that. the rep said you should have understood and discussed everything with the previous rep. and in the past 6 years they worked there they have never seen a computer glitch where someone completed their stay and didnt get their gold status...
so i said fine... thank you and hung up. I dont feel like marriott rewards people are "that nice" they dont make me feel "important" just my observation...
Old Apr 9, 2013, 2:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
I'm in the midst of a platinum challenge that started a couple of weeks ago and goes until the end of June. 9 stays required. I also did a platinum challenge in 2011, when it was 18 nights in 90 days. Didn't get an email confirmation either time, nor did I know that this was something that was ever done. I'm interested to hear whether xuni4everx had success upon calling back. It amazes me how many different ways these are handled by different reps.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 4:04 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by gloobnib
Confirmed. I completed my platinum challenge in early March and just got my physical platinum card that says "Valid Thru 02/2015".
I just received an email that says if completed by the end of July, extended through 02/2014. Sent back a reply confirming whether 2014 or 2015

Update: error has been confirmed. It is til 2015, not 2014

Last edited by jmw2323; Apr 9, 2013 at 4:45 pm
Old Apr 9, 2013, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by RedElmo
Called they said no email. they said they never did that. the rep said you should have understood and discussed everything with the previous rep. and in the past 6 years they worked there they have never seen a computer glitch where someone completed their stay and didnt get their gold status...
so i said fine... thank you and hung up. I dont feel like marriott rewards people are "that nice" they dont make me feel "important" just my observation...
Yeah, unfortunately MR is not a single collective of knowledge so different CSRs will get you different responses.

I once had a CSR tell me the they "would never do what I was asking". I requested a supervisor and was told she was a supervisor! I insisted I knew of what I spoke and she went away for several minutes and came back apologizing that she had just returned from maternity leave and hadn't caught up with her emails. Made the adjustments I was due and ended the call.

Your choice now is to fly blind and hope everything works or try for a willing CSR on the next (few) calls.

Good luck.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by RedElmo
I signed up for the plat. challenge last week and was told there is no email, it is just in the system. I was also told that my status would change to platinum the next day after the overnight system update. I am not worried about the lack of an email, in part because my status jumped to platinum the next day. My CSR was a male; if yours was a female, we have at least 2 consistent stories. I didn't read all the prior posts; did I miss stories about Marriott reneging on the challenge?
Old Apr 10, 2013, 8:18 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Ord Liza
I signed up for the plat. challenge last week and was told there is no email, it is just in the system. I was also told that my status would change to platinum the next day after the overnight system update. I am not worried about the lack of an email, in part because my status jumped to platinum the next day. My CSR was a male; if yours was a female, we have at least 2 consistent stories. I didn't read all the prior posts; did I miss stories about Marriott reneging on the challenge?
A male CSR signe me up an he was the nicest guy ever. All CSR should be like him. I wish I remembered his name. The second person I called to confirm was a female. Said no email and she was average. The third I called also confirmed my challenge and said no email but saw I was on the nights challenge vs stays and was about to pull my challenge I felt. She said we no longer offer nights I don't know how you got this butwe were told not to offer nights and the previous rep wasn't suppose to give it to you. I was scared she was going to pull it. I asked her that doesn't mean you're goingto take my challenge away are you? Luckily she said no. I thanked her and hung up.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 7:31 pm

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
Gold challenge: Shot down, months later approved

A couple of years ago (2010, maybe?) I managed to get my wife Gold status with Marriott through some type of weirdo Chinese bank offer. She kept the Gold status for all of 2011 but then dropped back to Silver for 2012. Most of her stays have been with Hilton, but had 18 Marriott nights last year.

Her territory changed a bit this year (to one with more Marriott-family props), and plus I read that one could do a challenge again after a year, so I requested one for her. She was shot down, on the grounds that a person could only have one "challenge" upgrade. This is NOT what I've read on some blogs, but I didn't argue. It was my understanding that she could do another challenge after a year. As part of my upgrade request, I did send in a copy of her Hilton activity report, which showed her as a Diamond. This happened in early February.

Even though we had planned for her not to stay a lot with Marriott after the shoot-down, she ended up with six or seven stays in the first quarter for a total of nine or 10 nights. I just got through logging in to her "promotion central" area and saw that she was enrolled in the "Taste of Gold" promotion. I don't know how or why this happened, but thought I would share it. Perhaps there is some type of review process whereby people who are declined are reconsidered if they have a certain number of stays or something.

I have to confess that I am not sure she can earn enough nights to re-qualify for next year. Her night count for the year is 12 and she has 8 rollover nights. So she might make it one more year, but without the rollovers I'm not sure she can make 50 nights a year. Anyway, I just thought I would share my surprise, and see if others have had the same experience.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 7:43 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat
For the promotion (it has changed since the last time you did it.) Nights are irrelevant and only stays matter.

When does the challenge end?

Does she have any upcoming stays?

How long are those stays?
Old Apr 17, 2013, 8:29 pm

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
Originally Posted by superpilot21
For the promotion (it has changed since the last time you did it.) Nights are irrelevant and only stays matter.

When does the challenge end?

Does she have any upcoming stays?

How long are those stays?
I guess I failed to provide the most relevant information!

The promotion is stay based. It requires six "stays" between April 1 and June 30. When I checked in my wife already had one stay. She's actually at a Fairfield tonight and will be at a Courtyard tomorrow night, so she's halfway through the challenge with 2.3 months to go.

Most of my wife's stays are one-nighters. She does have a few two- or three-night stays, but they are rare. She is on the road.

When I wrote my original email to Marriott, I actually requested the Platinum challenge as well. There is no doubt that she could meet the nine-stay requirement, but she could never requalify. So I'm not upset that she didn't get it.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by Rebelyell
I guess I failed to provide the most relevant information!

The promotion is stay based. It requires six "stays" between April 1 and June 30. When I checked in my wife already had one stay. She's actually at a Fairfield tonight and will be at a Courtyard tomorrow night, so she's halfway through the challenge with 2.3 months to go.

Most of my wife's stays are one-nighters. She does have a few two- or three-night stays, but they are rare. She is on the road.

When I wrote my original email to Marriott, I actually requested the Platinum challenge as well. There is no doubt that she could meet the nine-stay requirement, but she could never requalify. So I'm not upset that she didn't get it.
Well, at least she will make gold! And she will enjoy that status until FEB 2015!

I too asked for Platinum via a few avenues... China gave me the gold challenge but SLC gave me the platinum challenge.

It all comes down to who you get at the right moment.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 12:57 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I completed the Plat challenge in early April. Called in twice to confirm that it was indeed completed and that the status was good til February 2015. Both reps said that they don't send emails, but I would receive my Plat card in the mail in the next couple of weeks.

Still waiting for the card to arrive...
Old Apr 19, 2013, 11:39 am

Programs: HHonors Silver, Marriott Silver,DL Silver,HG
Originally Posted by ryan43110
I am currently silver status at Mariott and I have some stays coming up and wanted to check out their gold status. I had read that you can request a Gold Challenge and gain that status after a few stays. I sent elite.member at marriott.com an email and got the following response:

I plan on calling, but has anyone heard of this being discontinued? I have never done a challenge.
I did the same thing. I actually emailed twice. Called today to book a reservation and asked MR on the phone with success. I am in the taste of platinum challenge through July (9 Stays to keep it).

Last edited by bcstar; Apr 19, 2013 at 11:42 am Reason: Didn't read previous post that answered question.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by lily23
I completed the Plat challenge in early April. Called in twice to confirm that it was indeed completed and that the status was good til February 2015. Both reps said that they don't send emails, but I would receive my Plat card in the mail in the next couple of weeks.

Still waiting for the card to arrive...
What do you need a card for?
Old Apr 20, 2013, 4:18 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
How should I contact Marriott? Using the generic mail form on the MR website or is their another email address I can better write to?
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:13 am

E
Originally Posted by superpilot21
What do you need a card for?
No need for the physical card, log into your account and you can print a copy indicating your status or just show it (if on your phone) to the staff (unless things changed recently).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.