Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2013, 7:29 am

Programs: AA ConciergeKey, Hertz PC , Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Mattress Run

Originally Posted by nccarguy
My Ritz Carlton stays booked through Amex FHR have always posted. Of course that could change tomorrow.
I just bought my Courtyard stays in JAX (2 different hotels in 2 nights) via Southwest. I got credit for my stays about 2 days after.

I was doing a Mattress Run to get GOLD status actually.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 9:27 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by GregWTravels
Noticed I was gold about two weeks ago. Thanks to a thread on FT, figured out it was a taste of Gold challenge (listed in my promotions), but never requested by me. Got an email today from MR indicating I was on it. 6 stays in the next three months (probably unlikely to make that).
Ditto, got the email today, also got a gold card in the mail sometime in the last week (was away). As I posted in the other thread, this does come at a good time for me as the Hampton I stay at regularly has gone independent and there is a Fairfield there. Should make Marriott gold easily. Paris in 2014 is looking better all the time.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:48 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dwcatty
Ditto, got the email today, also got a gold card in the mail sometime in the last week (was away). As I posted in the other thread, this does come at a good time for me as the Hampton I stay at regularly has gone independent and there is a Fairfield there. Should make Marriott gold easily. Paris in 2014 is looking better all the time.
Yep! Same here.

I've been a Silver for the last ~5 years through the MR Visa card. I usually get 8-10 nights a year. Was on a trip last week and returned home over the weekend to find a Gold card waiting for me.

Same deal, 6 stays April 1-June 30 and I keep Gold through Feb 2015. VERY good timing for me...Will have 4 of the stays knocked out by the end of April in Asia--and the lounge access will be very useful in HKG and China.

Their promo WORKED. I canceled 2 reservations in HKG at IC Properties and one in Shanghai at a HH property!
Old Mar 30, 2013, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL Platinum/Marriott Gold/RCCL D+/Celebrity Elite/Princess Elite
I'm planning to sign my husband up for the Gold challenge on/after May 2, but before stays that we have beginning May 8.... as I understand it the challenge will last until the end of August and we've already got 6 stays booked during that time frame.

The 6th stay is for the evening of August 31... checking out on September 1. What's the consensus on that last stay? Will it count toward the challenge or will we need to book another stay?
Old Mar 30, 2013, 11:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by 1oftheLuvs
I'm planning to sign my husband up for the Gold challenge on/after May 2, but before stays that we have beginning May 8.... as I understand it the challenge will last until the end of August and we've already got 6 stays booked during that time frame.

The 6th stay is for the evening of August 31... checking out on September 1. What's the consensus on that last stay? Will it count toward the challenge or will we need to book another stay?
I'd think it would count for 31st of Aug. Similar to having a flight take off before midnight on NYE landing on NY's.

However I think Hertz did the opposite with a rental counting towards 2013 when I picked up before NYE but dropped off in the 1st week of January.

Sounds like a solid plan ^ Now if another stay would help with a megabonus promo...
Old Mar 31, 2013, 4:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 1oftheLuvs

It will count.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 2:41 pm

Programs: DL Platinum/Marriott Gold/RCCL D+/Celebrity Elite/Princess Elite
Originally Posted by beckoa
I'd think it would count for 31st of Aug. Similar to having a flight take off before midnight on NYE landing on NY's.

However I think Hertz did the opposite with a rental counting towards 2013 when I picked up before NYE but dropped off in the 1st week of January.

Sounds like a solid plan ^ Now if another stay would help with a megabonus promo...

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
It will count.

Thanks
Old Apr 3, 2013, 8:09 pm

Marriott Gold Challenge no more?

I am currently silver status at Mariott and I have some stays coming up and wanted to check out their gold status. I had read that you can request a Gold Challenge and gain that status after a few stays. I sent elite.member at marriott.com an email and got the following response:

Marriott Rewards does not offer status matching with the recognition levels provided by competitor programs.

Marriott Rewards would like to offer its regrets and apologies that a status challenge is not currently available.

Marriott Rewards members need to accrue 50 Elite nights between January 1 and December 31 to achieve the Gold Elite status level.

Thank you for contacting Marriott.
I plan on calling, but has anyone heard of this being discontinued? I have never done a challenge.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by ryan43110
I am currently silver status at Mariott and I have some stays coming up and wanted to check out their gold status. I had read that you can request a Gold Challenge and gain that status after a few stays. I sent elite.member at marriott.com an email and got the following response:

I plan on calling, but has anyone heard of this being discontinued? I have never done a challenge.
Keep trying until you get the gold challenge. It just depends on who is willing to do it
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:02 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Had an existing reservation prior to asking for an receiving the Taste of Gold challenge. The representative on the phone told me that my status would not update for the preexisting reservation. She suggested that I cancel and rebook. Is that correct? I'm hesitant to cancel because my booked rate no longer exists and the new reservation would be more expensive.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:14 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
Had an existing reservation prior to asking for an receiving the Taste of Gold challenge. The representative on the phone told me that my status would not update for the preexisting reservation. She suggested that I cancel and rebook. Is that correct? I'm hesitant to cancel because my booked rate no longer exists and the new reservation would be more expensive.
Really? I did the same thing. I had an existing reservation and i just signed up for the challenge... and like you my booked rate no longer is available.

I will not cancel and rebook. I rather show up and show them I am a gold via the Marriott App on my iPhone to get the perks.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:18 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Its available. call them. I just signed up.

Something has changed tho. it is no longer with nights.. its now stays. need 6 stays to qualify for gold
Old Apr 4, 2013, 2:31 am

From my experience, it's not true. You will know it once you receive the stay reminder email

Old Apr 4, 2013, 3:15 am

Huh? As long as your stay is visible from your Marriott Rewards account (ie your MR# has been added to the reservation) then your gold status should be visible as you check-in no matter when you made the booking.

At least that's how it has always worked for me. Does any other veteran have any different experience?
Old Apr 4, 2013, 7:50 am
Suspended

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...d-threads.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.