Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2015, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Called Marriott, received Gold challenge, 6 stays over 90 days, no backdating (admittedly my fault for not calling earlier).

Not so good for me as I have 20 nights spread over 3 stays (and no, it's not feasible for me to switch properties in unfamiliar cities when my days are full of meetings).

Did not think I would really miss Gold but definitely could use lounge access particularly on a 2-week long trip...
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:16 pm

Programs: Avianca Brazil Diamond, Etihad Gold, Southwest CC Pass, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
So I was targeted for the taste of gold promo. Right now only have 1 stay for those 90 days. I don't see easy way for me to get to the 6 stays. Only way is mattress runs but it is good till Feb 2017.... Do you think it would be worthwhile?
Old Mar 24, 2015, 7:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I got the taste of Gold promo last year. I knew I was going to get it legitimately from some stays after the promo ended - so I did not spend extra money to get it during the assigned period. I had the benefits during the period, then a couple of stays with nothing (but they were in RIs, FIs) where it didn't matter anyway, then got it for the rest of the year and all of this.

The only thing I noticed was a bottle of water at check in and I think the bonus points, but I felt it was not worth spending out of pocket money to get, and I still feel the same way.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 6:30 pm

A couple weeks ago I got the Exceptional / Exclusive Opportunities Coming Your Way mailer.

Last week I got the Gold challenge mailer. They moved me back up to Gold already (was there for a few years up until last year). As long as I get 6 stays between 4/1 & 6/30, Gold remains in place through February 2017.

I will probably get the 6 stays as is. But, I have a stay 3/29 - 3/31 (literally the 2 nights right before the challenge start date). Has anybody had any luck calling Marriott to get the challenge start date moved up by a day or two? I would like to get a jump start on the challenge if at all possible.

Thanks!
Old Mar 25, 2015, 8:25 pm
Suspended

while you might get previous exceptions indicated this is no guarantee of present or future exceptions.
a simple phone call to MR requestring the exception you're requesting is the best source of a correct response to your question.

Originally Posted by paulmlac
A couple weeks ago I got the Exceptional / Exclusive Opportunities Coming Your Way mailer.

Last week I got the Gold challenge mailer. They moved me back up to Gold already (was there for a few years up until last year). As long as I get 6 stays between 4/1 & 6/30, Gold remains in place through February 2017.

I will probably get the 6 stays as is. But, I have a stay 3/29 - 3/31 (literally the 2 nights right before the challenge start date). Has anybody had any luck calling Marriott to get the challenge start date moved up by a day or two? I would like to get a jump start on the challenge if at all possible.

Thanks!
Old Mar 26, 2015, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by leeky
while you might get previous exceptions indicated this is no guarantee of present or future exceptions.
a simple phone call to MR requestring the exception you're requesting is the best source of a correct response to your question.
I was planning to &, in fact, did tonight. Just thought I'd try to learn from other's experiences. In any event, no dice. The MR representative said the Taste Of Gold challenge is a corporate promotion so they don't have the ability to change anything. I would have thought MR was Marriott Corp but oh well.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:27 pm

I asked for and received a Platinum challenge. Should I see anything different in my account... like a promotion? When I was targeted for a Gold challenge it was a promotion. Is this just behind the scenes because I asked or should I bug them to make sure it's in effect? Thanks.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 4:12 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, FPC Premier, UA Silver, Hyatt Explorist, SPG Gold
Hello all,
Do stays associated with events count for the Gold or Plat challenges? I'm currently Silver. I have an event coming up where I am booking and paying for a number of rooms. Last yr, for the same event, approx 60k points and 10 night stays were credited to my account (giving me Silver status). If I request one of the challenges, would my event fast track me to completing the challenge?
Thanks!
Old Apr 19, 2015, 4:23 pm

Programs: rapidly diminishing
Similar, but slightly different question to cdmca's

- I've been emailed offering renewal of Gold if I do 12 nights by the end of July.
(I recently used points to upgrade to Gold this year before the end of March deadline, but would have held off had I known this would happen... but at least it sounds like this would extend my Gold status through for 2016, so to end Mar 2017 if I read it right)

- I'm also booking and paying for several rooms at an event I'm running in June. Longest duration stay is 7 nights, others ranging from 3-4 nights, probably at least 20 nights in total that'll be booked in my name and with me paying.
- I understand I'll also get some kind of points/nights credit for the event (I think it tops out at 50k points, and I get 10 nights credited). So do these 10 nights count too?

As I recall from the Taste of Gold challenge I took a couple of years ago, that was a *stay*-based challenge. This one is definitely *nights*. So this may be a different kind of promotion being run... I couldn't find any Ts&Cs, as this was an email invite and didn't have this kind of detail.

- I think I know the answer to this one, but may as well double-check: are award night stays eligible? (I'm guessing not, but we're going to book a couple - but if they count, I'll use my points and tell my wife to save hers!)

Thanks!
Old Apr 20, 2015, 12:01 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Hi,

Originally Posted by sofasurfer
- I think I know the answer to this one, but may as well double-check: are award night stays eligible? (I'm guessing not, but we're going to book a couple - but if they count, I'll use my points and tell my wife to save hers!)
I can't answer the other question, but this one is a definite no. Award stays never count at Marriot (unless a mistake is made somewhere, which could also be reversed at a later date if Marriott does a random audit).

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Apr 21, 2015, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by cdmca
Hello all,
Do stays associated with events count for the Gold or Plat challenges? I'm currently Silver. I have an event coming up where I am booking and paying for a number of rooms. Last yr, for the same event, approx 60k points and 10 night stays were credited to my account (giving me Silver status). If I request one of the challenges, would my event fast track me to completing the challenge?
Thanks!
Your own room should count. The extra stuff probably won't.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:46 am
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by bgriz18
So I was targeted for the taste of gold promo. Right now only have 1 stay for those 90 days. I don't see easy way for me to get to the 6 stays. Only way is mattress runs but it is good till Feb 2017.... Do you think it would be worthwhile?
No. Just get the Ritz card.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 4:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, UA 1k, SW A-list
Started this year with no status, but got offered the "Road to Gold" promotion (Gold with 4 stays before the end of May).

I just finished my 4 stays and got gold, so I called Marriott and got a platinum challenge (9 stays between April and end of July).

So theoretically, I could have gone from no status to platinum with only 13 nights this year.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
I called to sign up for the Taste of Platinum, but no luck. All I got was the platinum challenge. How did you guys get it if you were not targeted.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 8:06 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.4.2; en-us; LGL31L/V100 Build/KOT49I.L31L10d) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Chrome/30.0.1599.103 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Originally Posted by badjuju
I called to sign up for the Taste of Platinum, but no luck. All I got was the platinum challenge. How did you guys get it if you were not targeted.
What is the difference between "taste of platinum" and "platinum challenge"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.