Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:26 am

Switching from Hilton to Marriott

Being a hilton gold member for the past 4 years, I want to switch to Marriott but don't want to start from the bottom. Is there still a matching program? I can get the Marriott Card but that only gives Silver status and 15 nights towards Gold. That sucks, is there a way to get to gold quicker so I can start my bonus points quicker too?
Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...d-threads.html
Old Jan 5, 2015, 2:59 pm

Programs: CO Plat
I think you will retain play through 2015.

I gained plat through the challenge in the first half of 2011 and it lasted through Jan 2013 IIRC. Two soft landings and later I am currently silver as a result of the challenge almost 4 yrs ago.

My elite night count always showed something strange and would change seemingly at random.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by SBarny
Hi All,

I completed the taste of platinum challenge in 2014 and enjoyed all the benefits this past year, I am wondering if that status holds true all through 2015 as well. My profile online still reflects I am a Platinum elite (but does not indicate when that is thru), and even shows I already have 20 nights on my 2015 Nights Detail. Can someone clear up when my status will/should end, and why it already shows I have 20 nights?

Also, I do not currently have any Marriott CCs open

Thanks!
Yes you retain the status through 2015. Did you stay 20 nights in 2014? Marriott erroneously showed the "2015 nights detail" with 2014 data for a couple days into this year. Mine still hasn't reset.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 8:08 pm

Programs: United 1K; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by eggyacid
Being a hilton gold member for the past 4 years, I want to switch to Marriott but don't want to start from the bottom. Is there still a matching program? I can get the Marriott Card but that only gives Silver status and 15 nights towards Gold. That sucks, is there a way to get to gold quicker so I can start my bonus points quicker too?
Glad i stumbled upon this thread. I need to look into this as well. Been with Hilton for years, but have some stays this year at Marriot properties, beyond my control. ^
Old Jan 11, 2015, 3:32 am

Make sure you have your reservations booked before asking for a challenge as they do check your account. If they say no HUACA. Ask for the taste of gold as you get the benefits during. Road to gold you get benefits after you complete the challenge.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA Exp, Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum RA, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I had customer service give me a hard time about doing a Platinum challenge. I had a lot of nights in Q4. I went from zero for the year to 55 nights. When I was around 40 nights in Marriott added a Gold promotion to my account without me requesting it. I attained Gold on nights on my own. When I requested a Platinum challenge they refused because they stated that I already had the Gold promotion. I .....ed a bit that I had never requested Gold and also attained it on my own. Begrudgingly they offered Platinum after 9 stays in 90 days.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:47 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Continued Gold for a Year--Comped

A little over a year ago, Marriott presented me with a Gold challenge, which I accepted and I subsequently earned Gold through 2/15.

Today, I received a 'Welcome Back to Gold' pamphlet in the mail, giving me Gold again until 2/16, and it mentioned specifically that I didn't have the proper amount of nights/stays/points, but were doing it as a gesture to a 'valued customer'. No new card was enclosed--they directed me to a website to print a new card (which is fine, I could care less about the physical card itself).

Don't get me wrong, not complaining! The only thing I can think of is that the majority of my stays are in Hong Kong during trade fair time, and I'm paying $250+ per night X 4 nights X 5 stays per year. I pick up the occasional Marriott stay here and there, mostly when the convention I'm attending is at the Marriott.

(Yes, I am a UA 1K...I get Gold automatically, but since I had earned it through Feb 2015, I still haven't tried to link my accounts--I'm sure it doesn't matter, but I didn't know if there were any internal differences between Marriott-earned Gold and UA-earned Gold...So I've left it alone thus far).

Anyway, is this a common thing? Can I expect more years like this, should UA and Marriott dissolve the partnership?
Old Jan 23, 2015, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Yes as UA 1K your Marriott status is automatically renewed.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 7:09 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by nacho
Yes as UA 1K your Marriott status is automatically renewed.
Yes, except Marriott doesn't know I'm a 1K...I've NEVER linked my accounts, due to, as mentioned above, already having Gold on my own. And I received the welcome packet this week saying, "You didn't have enough nights, but we're renewing you anyway".

...Just think it's a cool gesture, and will continue to book Marriott when I can (after Hilton).

I'm just curious if this is a common thing, and what led to them doing this nice thing for me.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Who knows why they did it? But Marriott doesn't distinguish between Gold from Marriott or UA, so there's no reason not to link your UA account in the future. They're not normally nice 2 years in a row.

Cheers.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:26 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Who knows why they did it? But Marriott doesn't distinguish between Gold from Marriott or UA, so there's no reason not to link your UA account in the future. They're not normally nice 2 years in a row.

Cheers.
Thanks Sharon...I figured as much.

For brevity, I left out the long, gory details. I've TRIED to link them--but gave up because it didn't matter. UA and Marriott auto-tied me to a dormant, never-used Marriott account that I apparently opened in 1999...When I've gone to the United-Marriott website, it lists an account number that doesn't resemble my active MR account. It says "click here if this isn't your account"...I do, and it tells me to call a number. I tried 4 times last year to get this issue corrected, and every time I told it would be. Marriott merged the two accounts and said that the old number should disappear "in a few days"--FOUR TIMES.

This prompted me to check again just now, and sure as &$(*#, the Rewards Plus website shows the dormant account. I'm afraid if I do click to merge these, that it will invite trouble down the road.

That's the real reason I haven't merged the UA/Marriott partnership. Thankfully, I haven't had to!
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
Thanks Sharon...I figured as much.

For brevity, I left out the long, gory details. I've TRIED to link them--but gave up because it didn't matter. UA and Marriott auto-tied me to a dormant, never-used Marriott account that I apparently opened in 1999...When I've gone to the United-Marriott website, it lists an account number that doesn't resemble my active MR account. It says "click here if this isn't your account"...I do, and it tells me to call a number. I tried 4 times last year to get this issue corrected, and every time I told it would be. Marriott merged the two accounts and said that the old number should disappear "in a few days"--FOUR TIMES.

This prompted me to check again just now, and sure as &$(*#, the Rewards Plus website shows the dormant account. I'm afraid if I do click to merge these, that it will invite trouble down the road.

That's the real reason I haven't merged the UA/Marriott partnership. Thankfully, I haven't had to!
You might want to post the above on the Marriott Insiders section of the Marriott website (Marriott's internal version of FT) & ask joshm to help get it sorted. That will send him a direct message.

Cheers.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:42 am
alc

As far as I know from my own experience, Status Challenge last 2 years. I did the Platinum Challenge in Jan/Feb 2012 and it said it will exp Feb 2014. And they also do a soft landing to Gold that exp Feb 2015. Will try to request Platinum Challenge later and see if they will accept me again
Old Jan 23, 2015, 2:32 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
You might want to post the above on the Marriott Insiders section of the Marriott website (Marriott's internal version of FT) & ask joshm to help get it sorted. That will send him a direct message.

Cheers.
Thank you again, Sharon...

I will do that. Again, still not panicked over it because I'm good until Feb of '16 now...But it may catch up to me again like it almost did this past year!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.