Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Yes, except Marriott doesn't know I'm a 1K...I've NEVER linked my accounts
I've never linked my UA account with Marriott and they gave me UA Siliver due to my Marriott Platinum status.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 3:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I want to knock my friend upside his head!

I had Marriott do a Road to Gold challenge for him & he needed 6 stays by end of November. Marriott on their own signed him up for Taste of Gold challenge in November & he needed 6 stays by end of Jan. He had emailed me that he had gotten the 6 by end of November, so I didn't think too much about it & didn't think to say if he didn't then he better get it under the taste/end of Jan. Heck, I had even trained him to switch hotels on 2 night stays.

I logged into his account today to register him for the spring Megabonus. It shows him at 3 of 6 stays for the Taste, so I call Marriott to say hey he hit the road challenge/can you update/keep him on Gold. Well they don't see it, so I then check his account & it only shows 5 stays by end of Nov, not 6. What? Crap. I should have checked his account sooner & reminded him, as he could easily have gotten an extra night.

So either he can't count or a stay didn't credit or both. So if he counted wrong he's SOL, as he missed the Road by 1 & he won't be able to get 3 more nights in by Sat for the Taste. But I know he stayed at a Marriott property in Dec & it's not showing on his account, so he needs to find that folio & then maybe we can try to find him 2 cheap Marriott properties to do a quick mattress hop.

I'm really hoping one of the stays under the Road didn't post, as that would be the easiest to fix.

I've sent him an email to say check your account asap. He might be SOL on this & then the earliest he'll get able to go for it again would be in 2016.

The other thing is that he really is clueless on this stuff. A few trips he did same day turns rather than stay overnight (company would have been fine with overnight), used a couple of his free 1-4s vs. paid, stayed at boutique (non-Marriott) because the team wanted to check it out. But I thought since he was flipping between properties on 2 night stays that he was good to go.

Hopefully he will be (ie, a stay hasn't posted), but if not then I'm going to bop him on the head. Geesh.

Cheers.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: SWA-A+&CP, UA,AA, Bonvoy-LifePlat, HH-Dia; Hertz-PC;
Thumbs up Gold Challenge - Accepted!

Currently SPG Plat and HH Diamond - wanted to switch away from Hilton (no lifetime status) and back to Marriott.

I emailed twice and got only an offer for Silver w/ 3 stays, but just called and talked my way up to Gold Challenge of 6 stays before May (I will get them in the next 2 weeks). Thanks Marriott! I'm back.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 5:31 pm

Don't have status anywhere else, but recently signed up for Marriott CC (auto silver) and then emailed to ask for a challenge. Got six stays in 90 days challenge for gold which I accepted. No 'taste', just get the gold upon completion. Thought I would share for those trying to do something similar.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 12:18 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold
Hi guys, for road to gold, do bookings have to made directly with the website or sites such as Agoda count? I only read "paid stays" so I wanted to make sure. If Agoda does not count, I will have to cancel my other two stays asap. help?
Old Feb 5, 2015, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by msNJV
Hi guys, for road to gold, do bookings have to made directly with the website or sites such as Agoda count? I only read "paid stays" so I wanted to make sure. If Agoda does not count, I will have to cancel my other two stays asap. help?
Has to be booked directly with Marriott or any rate that you pay the bill at the hotel at check-out.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 12:03 pm

I was offered six stays in 90 days to reach gold, but had a question for anyone that has done a similar 'road to gold' challenge...

Once you reach gold, how is your account handled for next year? My confirmation said I would receive Gold from through January 2016... but how do my other nights this year affect that? If I stay, for example 40 nights will those extra 30 rollover toward gold next year?

Thanks guys
Old Feb 12, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
No, only those over 50 total will rollover.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 2:28 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Recently completed my Platinum challenge. Status updated within a week
Old Feb 22, 2015, 11:43 pm
A2A

Programs: AA, BASilver, TajICGold, MarriottPlatinum,HyattGlobalist, EYGold, AI
i recently got a road to gold invitation from marriott rewards. wanted to check if the ritz carlton stays count as well or not?
Old Mar 12, 2015, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Has anyone recently done an X nights challenge rather than X stays for Plat/Gold?

In the next month I will have about 16 nights, but only 3 stays.

Will call tomorrow, but what is the email address that works?
Old Mar 12, 2015, 6:07 am
alc

Originally Posted by alc
I did a search for "how long do I have to wait to challenge again" on this thread and I only return 1 result, and not related to my question. I thought it was discussed before, can someone please remind me the answer?

Here are my history:

- Jan/Feb 2012, Plat Challenged, Exp Feb 2014
- Within 2013 didn't have enough stay to meet Plat, hence March 2014 drop to Gold
- Didn't have enough points at the time to use points to retain Plat
- I will be short by ~10 nights to qualify for Gold this year
- Are we allow to do the Challenge again?
- If the answer is yes, will I be able to request it in 2015?

Thanks.
So, I decided to give it a shot and request Plat Status Challenge in January and it was accepted it - required 9 stays

Mid Feb, I got the new membership card for this year and Marriott actually grant me the Gold status even though I do not have 50 nights, so maybe I should have wait a little bit, as I all want is Gold or higher status in Marriott.

The day after my 9th stays posted, my account updated as Platinum, just in time when I check-in to a Marriott. The Front Desk only see me as Gold, so I mentioned to her that my account just got updated and please select my Welcome gift as "points" and it did posted when this stay posted.

The agent stated that the status will last until 2017. On the same date when my account got update, I immediately request (need to try is 3 times) to have my UA account to Silver (my UA*G status exp in Jan) and it was update in 2 days.

So, in conclusion, you can do these Challenge more than once. So, I will now be Plat until 2017 before it drop to Gold where it will last until 2018. I guess I will try to request Challenge gain in 2018
Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:08 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
got stung for requesting status challenge!

in short, i've got 5 nights in 2 seperate RCs in japan since beginning of year(could have been more, but RC osaka was rather disappointing), totalling close to 3000USD (it's 10MR/USD, right?) and have more coming up in april. looking into a quick status for some el cheapo 8-hr stay in more basic marriott brands.

As suggested, I've called the MR line and got stung saying they cant do anything wrt rates since i'm a basic. just wondering what i can do for some 50USD/award stays when the rest of my room-nights are averaging over 400USD!
Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Not sure what your thread is actually about, but here's an answer to the only question you posed
Originally Posted by kaka
it's 10MR/USD, right?
Yes, except for RI, TPS, and Marriott Exec Apts and Execustay.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rew...ints/points.mi
Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by kaka
in short, i've got 5 nights in 2 seperate RCs in japan since beginning of year(could have been more, but RC osaka was rather disappointing), totalling close to 3000USD (it's 10MR/USD, right?) and have more coming up in april. looking into a quick status for some el cheapo 8-hr stay in more basic marriott brands.

As suggested, I've called the MR line and got stung saying they cant do anything wrt rates since i'm a basic. just wondering what i can do for some 50USD/award stays when the rest of my room-nights are averaging over 400USD!
Your post is a bit confusing, but I think you want to do some very cheap stays so you can get status - am assuming you're trying to go for a gold challenge & want the stays to be cheap so you can get 6 stays before your April trip? Not sure if that's what you meant. Or is it that you're at the basic level of Marriott Rewards now & want to do a Gold challenge? Usually they only adjust up one level so you would need to get to 10 nights/Silver status before you could go for Gold challenge. If you're asking Marriott to suddenly change room rates to really cheap so you can do a bunch of cheap stays to get to status, they can't do that.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.