Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Cooperhan
I recently wrote an email (around Jun11) to MR email for Gold challenge and they offered me this challenge by accumulating 6 stays through Spet 30th.

However, I am reaching the 6th stay in about two weeks.

I also know the policy of challenge is only offering once per year, so I am not sure if I could do it. If not, I think I will do SPG plat challenge instead, since they have many events and bonus in Q2.

The question is can I ask them if I can do plat challenge? because it only requires 3 more stays which I can be easily to achieve. (I have plans for staying in hotels for the next couple months). Or is there any way I can either write or call them?

Thanks~
Go ahead & ask. Can't hurt.

Originally Posted by dickey1331
Got my The Road to Gold challenge complete. I had to stay 4 separate times for Gold status and Ill have Gold status for the rest of this year and next year. Pretty nice as I haven't even been a Marriott member for a year yet.
Congrats.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
We got Gold in 2014, so have it all this year...but I can't remember, when does it expire? I thought it was maybe February of 2016, but Feb 1 or Feb 28? Or is it just to the end of this year - Dec. 31, 2015?
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
We got Gold in 2014, so have it all this year...but I can't remember, when does it expire? I thought it was maybe February of 2016, but Feb 1 or Feb 28? Or is it just to the end of this year - Dec. 31, 2015?
Under normal circumstances membership runs from when earned until the end of the second February after being earned. So if you earned Gold in June of 2014, it would be good until the end of February, 2016. However, I have read some posts where people were told their "special" earning was only valid through the end of the current year. I've never seen that, but I would suspect the T&Cs of the program would spell that out.

PS February 2016 is a leap year so Feb 29th!
Old Jul 14, 2015, 9:20 am

Programs: DL DM
I am a Hilton Diamond member with enough Hilton activity this year to achieve Platinum status with Marriott. I would like to give Marriott a try. I would like to do a status challenge for Platinum preferrably, but at least Gold. I signed up for MR today and called the MR phone number to request a challenge. They told me the only way to do a challenge is to get a challenge to the next level, i.e. as I have nothing, I should achieve Silver first at 10 nights and then ask for a Gold challenge. People on here seem to get offered a no status to Gold or Platinum challenge. How do I do this? I offered up my Hilton Diamond credentials, but that didn't seem to matter. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by tadair
I am a Hilton Diamond member with enough Hilton activity this year to achieve Platinum status with Marriott. I would like to give Marriott a try. I would like to do a status challenge for Platinum preferrably, but at least Gold. I signed up for MR today and called the MR phone number to request a challenge. They told me the only way to do a challenge is to get a challenge to the next level, i.e. as I have nothing, I should achieve Silver first at 10 nights and then ask for a Gold challenge. People on here seem to get offered a no status to Gold or Platinum challenge. How do I do this? I offered up my Hilton Diamond credentials, but that didn't seem to matter. Any help is greatly appreciated.
What I did is get a credit card which gave me 15 nights (so Silver status) and then requested a Gold challenge.
I would definitely not request a silver challenge (if it ever exists).
Old Jul 14, 2015, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by tadair
Call until you get an agent that will do it
Old Jul 14, 2015, 5:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I don't want a challenge/Road, I want a "Taste". Is that something you can call and request, or do you have to wait until they target you (if they do).
Old Jul 15, 2015, 5:23 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by awu25
Call until you get an agent that will do it
Bingo. I called again right after I posted this and boom, got a Platinum challenge. 9 stays by end of October. Should have that completed by end of August easy!
Old Jul 15, 2015, 5:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards: Platinum
Hey everyone - quick question. Has anyone ever did a challenge when they ALREADY had status? My platinum is due to run out in Feb 2016. I won't have enough nights for the 2015 year, but I am doing a ton of travel in the next 3 months, so could easily get the 9 stays that I would need. I already called to try, and they said no. I'm wondering if I just need to play agent roulette. Can anyone confirm that it's possible/they've done it?
Old Jul 15, 2015, 5:50 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by eishv
Hey everyone - quick question. Has anyone ever did a challenge when they ALREADY had status? My platinum is due to run out in Feb 2016. I won't have enough nights for the 2015 year, but I am doing a ton of travel in the next 3 months, so could easily get the 9 stays that I would need. I already called to try, and they said no. I'm wondering if I just need to play agent roulette. Can anyone confirm that it's possible/they've done it?
You can pay to maintain platinum. You also only fall to Gold...
Old Jul 15, 2015, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by NDN
You can pay to maintain platinum. You also only fall to Gold...
And I would have done that, except that I read (here) that the points you spend are deducted from your lifetime points.

Then (when it was too late) I found out that they shouldn't be, and you can get them back by calling.

Oh, well.

Still looking for cheap meetings.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 7:06 pm

Well I'd rather not pay.....anyone have any luck?
Old Jul 19, 2015, 7:34 am

Guess i'll just give it another shot and play agent roulette. Will let you know if I'm successful!
Old Jul 19, 2015, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by NDN
You can pay to maintain platinum.
Whats the cost to maintain platinum?
Old Jul 19, 2015, 9:22 am
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by mileageking
Whats the cost to maintain platinum?
It's not guaranteed to happen every year, but they have previously (every year for a few years) offered to maintain Platinum for 40k points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.