Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2013, 5:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, National Executive
Gold Challenge

I called Marriott to ask about matching my Hilton Gold status.

They set me up in the Gold challenge. I was unclear on one point and hope someone can help me.

I was made Gold and told I had to do 6 stays before June 30. It was my understanding that getting the 6 stays kept me gold for the rest of the year.

What I'm not sure about is what happens in 2014. If I don't get 50 nights am I back to Silver? That's what I thought but read elsewhere about the Diamond Challenge and it sounded like it extended into the next year as well if initial challenge (6 stays before June 30) met.

Thanks for your help. I'm sure I can call Marriott but people here are so knowledgeable I thought I'd try here first.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 6:46 pm
Suspended

Greytop --

If you called yesterday and got the challenge, you should have almost 4 months to make it, as it is 3 full months and whatever is left of the month in which you called. It is 6 separate stays, not nights, but a stay can be as little as one night long. No back to back stays at the same property.

Now, if you achieve Gold status thru the challenge, you are Gold for the remainder of this year, all of next year and into 2/15. However, to have Gold or more in all of 2015, you must complete the regular requirements in 2014.

Finally, as a newbie to this forum, we try very hard not to ask the same question twice and therefore request that you do a search of your answer, as there is a large pre-existing thread on just this issue in this forum. I am going to ask the moderator to consolidate this thread with the one already in existence.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 10:01 am

Programs: Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glbl, Marriott Lftm Plat, National EE
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Greytop --
Now, if you achieve Gold status thru the challenge, you are Gold for the remainder of this year, all of next year and into 2/15. However, to have Gold or more in all of 2015, you must complete the regular requirements in 2014.
Confirmed. I completed my platinum challenge in early March and just got my physical platinum card that says "Valid Thru 02/2015".
Old Apr 7, 2013, 3:54 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
New question about the nights. Im Currently on the 12 night gold challenge, I'm aware if I book two rooms in the same hotel it would not count as two nights but what if I book a room at courtyard and another room at springhill suites on the same night would that count as two nights towards the 12 nights?
Old Apr 7, 2013, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
Is there any confirmation once you complete the challenge? I never received any email that I was signed up for the platinum challenge but I was upgraded to that status the day after I asked for it. Nothing showed up under promo central and now I've completed my 9th stay and doesn't seem like there's anywhere on the marriott website to see when your status expires.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by RedElmo
New question about the nights. Im Currently on the 12 night gold challenge, I'm aware if I book two rooms in the same hotel it would not count as two nights but what if I book a room at courtyard and another room at springhill suites on the same night would that count as two nights towards the 12 nights?
Although this might post, IF MR does an audit you may lose credit for one of the nights (probably the most costly). Technically, you should only get night credit for one room per night given you can only stay in one room at a time. Yes, there have been exceptions. Yes, it MIGHT work. But to risk a challenge by hoping no one will notice? Not on your life!

I have not done a challenge, but if you read the terms, it probably says you must stay the 12 nights. So just booking the rooms, and even if you pay for the rooms, that's not enough. Typically, promo/bonus/reward stays do not count either.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by awu25
Is there any confirmation once you complete the challenge? I never received any email that I was signed up for the platinum challenge but I was upgraded to that status the day after I asked for it. Nothing showed up under promo central and now I've completed my 9th stay and doesn't seem like there's anywhere on the marriott website to see when your status expires.
No, the MR website does not state an expiration date. You must call to confirm. A challenge is not considered a promo and not recorded as such.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Although this might post, IF MR does an audit you may lose credit for the second night. Technically, you should only get night credit for one room per night given you can only stay in one room at a time. Yes, there have been exceptions. Yes, it MIGHT work. But to risk a challenge by hoping no one will notice? Not on your life!

I have not done a challenge, but if you read the terms, it probably says you must stay the 12 nights. So just booking the rooms, and even if you pay for the rooms, that's not enough. Typically, promo/bonus/reward stays do not count either.
Thanks.

Actually thats what i was trying to do. i have a week long stay and a neighboring hotel was offering a promo for 5K points for staying a weekend night. i was going to just keep my week and check into the other hotel too vs checking out and checking in. but since its a promo... it sounds like check out check in wont work either.

Back to the drawing board on how to earn the night.

P.S. wheres the terms and condition for the challenge found? I cant find it in my marriott account.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedElmo
Thanks.

Actually thats what i was trying to do. i have a week long stay and a neighboring hotel was offering a promo for 5K points for staying a weekend night. i was going to just keep my week and check into the other hotel too vs checking out and checking in. but since its a promo... it sounds like check out check in wont work either.

Back to the drawing board on how to earn the night.

P.S. wheres the terms and condition for the challenge found? I cant find it in my marriott account.
There should have been an eMail acknowledging the challenge, what the requirements are, and the time period. If you did not get one, call MR and request a new copy be sent. Otherwise you are flying blind and if their system should hiccup, you might get denied it was set up.

I get the impression a challenge is not an automated process with MR. They may just bump your status and make a note in your record as to what was discussed (nights vs stays, how many, and by when). Then someone monitors your account to see if you made it and either pulls your status if you didn't or leaves it set if you did.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
There should have been an eMail acknowledging the challenge, what the requirements are, and the time period. If you did not get one, call MR and request a new copy be sent. Otherwise you are flying blind and if their system should hiccup, you might get denied it was set up.

I get the impression a challenge is not an automated process with MR. They may just bump your status and make a note in your record as to what was discussed (nights vs stays, how many, and by when). Then someone monitors your account to see if you made it and either pulls your status if you didn't or leaves it set if you did.
No email either... Ya I was kinda worried about any hiccups myself... never did a challenge so I wasnt sure of the whole process... I'll call them bright and early monday to ask for an email confirmation.

Thanks again. ^
Old Apr 8, 2013, 9:45 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriot Plat, AA,UA,DLTA, SW CP, Starwood Gold, Priority Plat.
Do the lnf rates count for the challenge, and has anyone recently go the plat challenge, or only gold?
Old Apr 8, 2013, 10:14 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat
I got gold from China MR and Plat from US...

LNF should count same same.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 5:14 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by vic2010
Do the lnf rates count for the challenge, and has anyone recently go the plat challenge, or only gold?
Yes they do. All paid stays should count.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 11:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
I just called marriott rewards to request a status challenge, rep told me they no longer doing status challenge. is this true? or should i call again?
Old Apr 9, 2013, 11:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by xuni4everx
I just called marriott rewards to request a status challenge, rep told me they no longer doing status challenge. is this true? or should i call again?
Call again is the watchword as the above posts demonstrate. Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.