Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2013, 7:16 am

Programs: AA, Aeroplan, CX Gold, MR PLat
I wish it was nights!!

Unfortunately the T&C says stays

Originally Posted by Whizkid
Few Blogs have mentioned that it's nights.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 1:35 pm

Just got the taste of Plat, looking forward to reaping the benefits.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 3:31 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat
Originally Posted by Whizkid
Few Blogs have mentioned that it's nights.
It was previously nights... now it's stays.

Maybe those are old posts?
Old May 1, 2013, 2:46 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond, spg gold, mileage plus 1K, a nobody with delta skymiles
if i am in the process of completing a plat challenge, do i get the 50% point bonus and all other benefits of being a platinum MR such as upgrades, etc or does Marriott give me the the 50% bonus after i successfully meet the challenge? i am currently HH diamond and in the process of moving most of my stays to Marriott.
Old May 1, 2013, 2:48 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond, spg gold, mileage plus 1K, a nobody with delta skymiles
edit: does Marriott give me the platinum 50% point bonus retroactively for the nights i logged in while doing the challenge?
Old May 1, 2013, 2:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pocahontas
edit: does Marriott give me the platinum 50% point bonus retroactively for the nights i logged in while doing the challenge?
While doing the challenge you are entitled to all benefits that befits the challenge you have received.
Old May 2, 2013, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
I just signed up for the Platinum challenge.

The agent on the phone was fairly thorough, noting how many nights I have already this year (41), how many of those were rollover or credit card nights (4 and 15), how many nights I had last year, how many reservations I have booked, etc. She went over the basics of the challenge and asked if I stay 75 nights a year in a hotel (I stay about double that).

I'm sure it varies from agent to agent, but this one seemed like she was only going to let me sign up if she felt like I would be giving Marriott a good shot, and that I had enough travel to qualify as Platinum.

It's unlikely that I'll have enough Marriott stays in the next few months to meet the challenge (my stays are generally longer, more than half of what I have booked is still with Hilton, and some of my Marriott stays are award stays and/or timeshare exchanges), but I will easily hit 75 nights this year and this will give me Platinum for most of my stays between now and the time I hit 75.
Old May 4, 2013, 1:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver
Definition of paid stay for promotions/"Taste of Gold"

Quick question that I'd love to have answered. I did a quick search, but couldn't find much (and nothing recent) on the topic.

For things like the new "Unexpected Bonus" and the "Taste of Gold/Platinum" challenge system, what are the requirements of the specified "paid stays"? For a stay to qualify, must it be completely paid in USD? Or do stays that are partial redemptions also qualify? What about stays garnered through Rewarding Events?

I'd love it if anyone could provide me with a concise answer to any or all of these questions.
Old May 4, 2013, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
I'm still learning the ropes, but from what I've seen:

Award stays don't count for promotions or for elite nights.

Stays that are partially cash and partially award stays count as a paid stay, and the cash nights count as paid nights.

I don't think the currency matters.

Any consecutive nights in the same hotel, even if they're on separate reservations, only counts as a single stay.

Timeshare stays by owners using their ownership or exchanges do not count (although they do count for elite nights).

Nights earned from things other than stays (rollover nights, CC annual nights, CC spending) don't count as "paid stays" but do count towards elite nights.

Hopefully someone will be able to add more.
Old May 4, 2013, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
if you'ld check your promo T&Cs you'd have found your answer:
A ‘stay’ is defined as consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, regardless of check-in/check-out activity.
The member receiving this offer has been specifically targeted and the offer is not transferable.
Nights spent while redeeming an award are not eligible for credit.
+
payment currency is not a factor (ie. Euros, Yen, etc are all OK);
Rewarding Meetings get you 10-nights stay credits toward status, but they do not earn you 10-nights of stays nor count towards any bonus or Taste promo....

Originally Posted by haikuginger
Quick question that I'd love to have answered. I did a quick search, but couldn't find much (and nothing recent) on the topic.

For things like the new "Unexpected Bonus" and the "Taste of Gold/Platinum" challenge system, what are the requirements of the specified "paid stays"? For a stay to qualify, must it be completely paid in USD? Or do stays that are partial redemptions also qualify? What about stays garnered through Rewarding Events?

I'd love it if anyone could provide me with a concise answer to any or all of these questions.
Old May 5, 2013, 2:35 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Got Gold through the online form at once. The elite email address wasn't giving in.
So if they refuse, try via another channel.
Old May 5, 2013, 11:58 pm

Programs: PC Plat Am, Accor GOLD, Hilton Gold
Got the Gold Challenge via email ~ No stays last year.
Old May 22, 2013, 11:26 pm

Tried to request Platinum challenge via email, noting that I currently have HH gold, although I don't have any Marriot status. The email reply requested that I submit HH statement showing number of recent HH stays/nights. Sounded too troublesome. My husband is close to Silver status, and called to request Gold challenge, and got enrolled successfully.
Old May 22, 2013, 11:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
IMO you were overly greedy in your request and properly turned down w/o showing that you had similar status (which you don't) in another brand.......

Originally Posted by puaj
Tried to request Platinum challenge via email, noting that I currently have HH gold, although I don't have any Marriot status. The email reply requested that I submit HH statement showing number of recent HH stays/nights. Sounded too troublesome.
Old May 23, 2013, 1:29 am
Suspended

No status match at Marriott ?

Hello

I'm a bit surprised that Marriott does not match statuses with other loyalty programs

here is the answer to my request:

Thank you for contacting Marriott Rewards.

Our program does not have an aspect that rewards members for nights spent at our competitors. The Elite status of a Marriott Rewards member is normally calculated each year based on the number of Elite nights accrued in the calendar year, January 1 to December 31. Marriott Rewards members need to reach 10 nights for the Silver level, 50 nights for the Gold level, or 75 nights for the Platinum level.

I have reviewed your account history and the upcoming reservations associated with your account. I regret to inform you that a conditional Elite upgrade cannot be offered at this time.

Please visit the following link for additional information concerning Elite membership:

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/elite.mi

Thank you for choosing Marriott.

Regards,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.