Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2013, 1:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
SMRT north, then taxi across the bridge then head east across the JB/Iskandra Project bridge to golf course...............Ren located this area.........

obviously staying at SIN Marriott or RC easier but MUCH more expensive and honestly, I really don't care for it and will be returning to the Conrad once again in Jan (unless Jumbos Riverside closes and I lose the best black pepper crabs around!)......

Originally Posted by lingua101
well if cannot be extended, I am thinking to try the new Renaissance JB, but going there will not be easy affair I suppose.
Old May 27, 2013, 12:24 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by KRS
Do stays at all Marriott brands count when doing a challenge, even Fairfield Inn&Suites?
I unintentionally met my 6 stay requirement with 6 different brands

(Ritz-Carlton, Autograph Collection, Renaissance, Marriott, Courtyard, SpringHill Suites)
Old May 27, 2013, 2:06 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by chrisny2
I unintentionally met my 6 stay requirement with 6 different brands

(Ritz-Carlton, Autograph Collection, Renaissance, Marriott, Courtyard, SpringHill Suites)
You should get a Gold Medal or a Gold Card.
Old May 28, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: AA, Marriott, Hilton
Clarifying Questions for 2013

Apologize in advance if I didn't catch this, but I believe I read some conflicting info for 2013:

1) It seems if you start the gold challenge 7/2013 and successfully complete it, you will have status until 2/2015. However if you start it 6/2013 and successfully complete it, you will only have status until 2/2014? What is the cut-off date for status expiring next Feb vs the Feb after?

2) If you successfully complete a challenge, let's say mid-7/2013 to 10/2013. You are gold until 2/2015. In 2014, you don't have enough nights to requalify for gold. When can you redo the challenge again, starting 3/2015 or is it later?
Old May 28, 2013, 3:05 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hotstepper
Apologize in advance if I didn't catch this, but I believe I read some conflicting info for 2013:

1) It seems if you start the gold challenge 7/2013 and successfully complete it, you will have status until 2/2015. However if you start it 6/2013 and successfully complete it, you will only have status until 2/2014? What is the cut-off date for status expiring next Feb vs the Feb after?

2) If you successfully complete a challenge, let's say mid-7/2013 to 10/2013. You are gold until 2/2015. In 2014, you don't have enough nights to requalify for gold. When can you redo the challenge again, starting 3/2015 or is it later?
Sorry I can't answer the 2nd question, but I can (kind of) answer the first one. I started my challenge 02/2013 and my Platinum card says I have status until 02/2015. I'm not exactly sure what the cut off is though.
Old May 28, 2013, 7:00 pm

Stay?

Quick question about a stay - If I check in for one night at an airport in New York, then check out the next day and fly to Florida and check in for three nights in FLA is that one stay or two?

If I were to stay the first night in FLA at an SPG and then two nights at Marriott does that make it different? Any difference if the hotel at the airport and the FLA hotel is a different brand - Marriott at airport and Fairfield in FLA?

Just trying to get the rules straight for a plat challenge.

Appreciate any input.

Thanks.
Old May 28, 2013, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
if you stay in NY Arpt at a Marriott on a paid basis and follow this with a Florida stay at another Marriott brand again on a paid basis it will be 2-stays............

any stays at SPG properties will not count btowards Marriott plat challenge.........

Originally Posted by hm212
Quick question about a stay - If I check in for one night at an airport in New York, then check out the next day and fly to Florida and check in for three nights in FLA is that one stay or two?

If I were to stay the first night in FLA at an SPG and then two nights at Marriott does that make it different? Any difference if the hotel at the airport and the FLA hotel is a different brand - Marriott at airport and Fairfield in FLA?

Just trying to get the rules straight for a plat challenge.

Appreciate any input.

Thanks.
Old May 28, 2013, 8:35 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Marriott (and most hotel chains) define a "stay" as consecutive nights at the same physical hotel regardless of check-in/out activity. The hotel "brand", as long as it is a Marriott branded hotel chain doesn't matter.

Thus in your case, since you will be changing hotels, you will have more than one stay credited. (You would have 2 stays even if both hotels were FS Marriotts or both FFIs.)

And as BKKLEE mentions, since an SPG hotel isn't a Marriott, you won't get any credit for nights at Marriott, but you could get a stay/night credit for SPG if you stayed one night there.
Old May 29, 2013, 5:22 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by hotstepper

1) Cut-off is 30/6. All challenges started as of 1/7 will give you status for one extra year.

2) I can't really answer this question. For sure it's not once in a lifetime as I already did 2. One I initiated myself and one that was initiated by Marriott a few years later.
Old May 29, 2013, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by kcaluwae
1) Cut-off is 30/6. All challenges started as of 1/7 will give you status for one extra year.

2) I can't really answer this question. For sure it's not once in a lifetime as I already did 2. One I initiated myself and one that was initiated by Marriott a few years later.
1. I thought so before but my gf challenge started on Feb 2013, and was told that the status will last till Feb 2014 if completed. However, we sent an email to the customer care after achieving 8stays in the end of April to ask about it, he replied and said that her status will last till Feb 2015 if completed=)

2. If your previous challenge ENDS on 30/6/2013, the next time you could apply for the challenge again is on 1/7/2014.

Regards.
Old May 29, 2013, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by kcaluwae
As Dolphinyong said (and see posts 848 and those around it), 2/2015 seems to apply for challenges begun earlier than June 30th. By "for one extra year" did you mean that challenges started after June 30th would confer status until 2/2016? That seems like a great deal, if so, but I don't want to get any rumors started!
Old May 29, 2013, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by Ord Liza
As Dolphinyong said (and see posts 848 and those around it), 2/2015 seems to apply for challenges begun earlier than June 30th. By "for one extra year" did you mean that challenges started after June 30th would confer status until 2/2016? That seems like a great deal, if so, but I don't want to get any rumors started!
You always get 1 full year of status after you have completed the challenge, so if you finished your challenge in Aug 2013, you will have the status until Feb 2015. That's why Feb 1 is a great time to start a challenge because you get the most time for your status.
Old May 29, 2013, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
I just got a similar (better?) offer:

Dear SJC AA:

Give your benefits a boost with this exclusive offer. Get automatic Gold Elite status for the remainder of the current year—plus an additional year—when you make four separate stays. As a Gold Elite member, enjoy exclusive benefits including upgrades, free Internet and a 25% point bonus.

Register online by 06/XX/2013, make four stays in the following three months and get the recognition and rewards you deserve.

T&C:

Registration within 14 days of email is required. Your earning period starts the day after you register through the end of the month, plus an additional three (3) months. Registered members must achieve four (4) paid stays after registration and before the end of the earning period, to earn Gold Elite Status. This offer is non-transferable. Nights spent while redeeming an award are not eligible for credit. Marriott Vacation Club® owner-occupied weeks are not eligible for credit. A 'stay' is defined as consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, regardless of check-in/check-out activity. Only one room per hotel is counted toward a member's nights or stay. All Marriott Rewards program terms and conditions apply.
Old May 29, 2013, 8:02 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat
Originally Posted by nacho
You always get 1 full year of status after you have completed the challenge, so if you finished your challenge in Aug 2013, you will have the status until Feb 2015. That's why Feb 1 is a great time to start a challenge because you get the most time for your status.
Feb 2 is even better!

Feb 1 deadline April 30

Feb 2 deadline May 31
Old May 29, 2013, 8:11 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by lily23
Sorry I can't answer the 2nd question, but I can (kind of) answer the first one. I started my challenge 02/2013 and my Platinum card says I have status until 02/2015. I'm not exactly sure what the cut off is though.
Agree with lily23. I start my challenge late Apr, hence will end Jun 2013. They mentioned if I complete the challenge the status will valid unil Feb 2015.

I suspect the status will valid for 1 full calender year (2014) in this case and 2 months in 2015 just a buffer, in case the new card come late.

The status for the rest of this year is given.

So it will be good to start as early as possible in the year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.