Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2013, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nacho
No, it has to book through marriott.com.
But according to
http://boardingarea.com/onemileatati...otels-resorts/

both American Express FHR and Virtuoso "still earn points and elite credit if the hotel you’re staying at belongs to a loyalty program. For all practical purposes it’s like booking directly through the hotel."

Any clarification would be highly appreciated.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 8:06 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by ruoyu

If you earn elite credit it almost certainly qualifies for challenge.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by ruoyu
But according to
http://boardingarea.com/onemileatati...otels-resorts/

both American Express FHR and Virtuoso "still earn points and elite credit if the hotel you’re staying at belongs to a loyalty program. For all practical purposes it’s like booking directly through the hotel."

If it's the case, then you are going to get points + elite qualifying night.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 1:38 pm

Marriott Platinum Challenge

I got married 3 months ago and had my wedding at an autograph hotel. So prior to my wedding, I signed up for a MR card and I also ended up paying for rooms for close family. I also signed up for platinum challenge before my wedding and stayed at all ritz carlton / marriott properties throughout our honeymoon. I have been reviewing the statement and was told by our event planner that I did not get a stay credit for the rooms I booked at the hotel even though I made sure one of the room was under my name. She reached out to MR and they told her that I didn't get a stay credit nor any MR points but instead they credited me 6 elite nights which according to them are worth more than any of those.

Can someone please help me understand how that makes sense? Also, I am 1 stay short of achieving my plat challenge before the end of the month, any recommendations besides the obvious being finding a cheap Marriott nearby and checking in for a night?

Thank you for all your help!!
Old Aug 20, 2013, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
You should be able to get points for up to 3 rooms if you paid for all 3 rooms and your name was on one of the rooms. I would go back to MR and get those points.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Road to Gold Promotion

Received this awesome email tonight-

The Road to Gold

Dear <name>:

Give your benefits a boost with this exclusive offer. Get automatic Gold Elite status for the remainder of the current year—plus an additional year—when you make four separate stays. As a Gold Elite member, enjoy exclusive benefits including upgrades, free Internet and a 25% point bonus.

Register online by 09/03/2013, make four stays in the following three months and get the recognition and rewards you deserve.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 4:40 pm

I'm (obviously) Silver, with 20 nights this year. I'm sure this offer is targeted, but here's the link:

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/pro...promotion=EE12
Old Aug 20, 2013, 5:45 pm

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
Was it a special hotel rate below the AAA price?

I believe group rates do not earn points or stays (or other negotiated rates)
Old Aug 20, 2013, 5:49 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Remember you can only get elite nights for 1 room, you can get points for up to 3 rooms though.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 6:28 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Common occurrence of when someone doesn't give you the right answer, hang up and call back again.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 1:00 am

Programs: US Platinum, KL FB Gold, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, IC Amb.
Originally Posted by Geoggy
So having been denied twice on the UK number I called the US number and got offered the 9 stay challenge. Excellent!
Could you please clarify which US number you are using?
I tried emailing them requesting the promo, and was offered a manual platinum promo as she explained it - meaning I would not get upgraded to Platinum until I had fulfilled the 9 stay requirement :/
Old Aug 21, 2013, 2:16 pm

Pro tip: Don't do what I did and register for this promotion right away. Wait until September first; then you'll get 4 months to achieve Gold rather than 3.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 3:41 am

asking for advise & discuss the possibility, I understand YMMV and some questions should be asked with Marriott Rewards service

I did challenge gold status during May-Aug 2012 and stayed 12 nights in those 3 months. Then granted gold status until Feb 2014.

1) Any possible to challenge Platinum at the meantime or any better upcoming moment before gold status expires?

2) Any suggestion or advice if I would like to extend my current gold status furthermore? This year I am definitely not able to make 50 nights but doing 10 15 nights should be okay.

Thanks for the answers.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:25 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by mattchench
asking for advise & discuss the possibility, I understand YMMV and some questions should be asked with Marriott Rewards service

I did challenge gold status during May-Aug 2012 and stayed 12 nights in those 3 months. Then granted gold status until Feb 2014.

1) Any possible to challenge Platinum at the meantime or any better upcoming moment before gold status expires?

2) Any suggestion or advice if I would like to extend my current gold status furthermore? This year I am definitely not able to make 50 nights but doing 10 15 nights should be okay.

Thanks for the answers.
+1
Currently Gold (till Feb. '14) through challenge 1 year ago. Have many stays coming up this Fall - can I do a Plat challenge?
Old Aug 27, 2013, 9:48 am

Programs: SPG Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, Delta Plat
Just signed up for the platinum challenge and was told by a supervisor that automatic platinum status is no longer given out (per new corporate policy starting today). Anyone able to get the auto plat status?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.