Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2013, 11:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
Originally Posted by AirMileMillionaire
As stated earlier, it looks like the Gold/Platinum Challenges are officially back at Marriott, and under the same terms as before, except you don't get the status until you meet the stay requirement. .. at least that is what CS just told me.
A poster above mentioned that he gotten a Gold Challenge for 12 nights.

The requirements went up?
Old Sep 6, 2013, 2:39 am

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by tycosiao

No it was always 12 nights (or 6 stays)
Old Sep 6, 2013, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by tycosiao

Originally Posted by TommyC80
No it was always 12 nights (or 6 stays)
Marriott has tweaked the nights/stay requirement. It used to be 12 nights (not based on stays), but it was then changed to 6 stays. Seems that Marriott may have changed back to nights now.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 3:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
if they actually did, among other, BOGOs would be back.............

Originally Posted by N965VJ
So, MR listens and takes action on Plat complaints?
Old Sep 6, 2013, 4:08 am

Programs: AY Gold, A3 Gold, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by holtju2
Marriott has tweaked the nights/stay requirement. It used to be 12 nights (not based on stays), but it was then changed to 6 stays. Seems that Marriott may have changed back to nights now.
Who knows
Maybe someone from MR should finally post some official word...
Old Sep 6, 2013, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA Silver/Marriott Gold/Hilton Gold
I wonder if you have to contact Marriott Rewards outside the U.S. I just talked to someone on the Gold Elite line and they said they're still not offering challenges as of 2 weeks ago. They also said I was ineligible regardless because I did a Taste of Gold last year in September.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by WAS
I do think that offering the status upfront and allowing a challenge every year is a bit of a loophole.
But suspending it completely does make it a bit harder to switch. I want to move from Hilton to Marriott, in good faith, mainly because of the recent massive Hilton devaluation. But it makes it hard(er) when you have to give up the benefits (breakfast) for the duration of the challenge.
But it makes it easier to leave Marriott and forget about loyalty - period.
Even if you got the Gold via challenge and have it for a year+, you are more likely to stay at Marriott property even after the challenge (6 stays or 12 nights) b/o of your status and benefits. Otherwise you are a "free agent" - how is that better for Marriott?
Just go with the best offer/deal.

Last edited by Paulchili; Sep 6, 2013 at 4:40 pm
Old Sep 6, 2013, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by Paulchili
Just go with the best offer/deal.
+1
Old Sep 7, 2013, 12:15 am

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Red259
Yea slim chances of that happening again, but it was sooo worth it. On a side note my economy seat had the most legroom I have ever had on a plane in my life. Again got the seat thanks to the united tie in with Marriott.
Hey as a new United Silver I also got upgraded on 3 separate flights. =) (to F, and E+ on others.)

Ok... so I signed up for Taste of Platinum a month or so ago, and I have since believe completed the 9 stays. Will I get any sort of notification from Marriott on successfully completing it?

On a side note... I think the UA partnership is what killed it, not too many people. I imagine Marriott may have to pay UA for the silver elite status, as it is likely more valuable to most Marriott Platinums, than the benefits UA elite's get.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 2:59 am

Hi, you could just reply to the approval email confirming about your Platinum challenge status.

Originally Posted by maksimfa
Hey as a new United Silver I also got upgraded on 3 separate flights. =) (to F, and E+ on others.)

Ok... so I signed up for Taste of Platinum a month or so ago, and I have since believe completed the 9 stays. Will I get any sort of notification from Marriott on successfully completing it?

On a side note... I think the UA partnership is what killed it, not too many people. I imagine Marriott may have to pay UA for the silver elite status, as it is likely more valuable to most Marriott Platinums, than the benefits UA elite's get.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 3:31 am
KRS

Originally Posted by maksimfa

I didn't get any automatic notification after completing the required 9 stays, so I emailed them and received a confirmation about 2 weeks later.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by KRS
I didn't get any automatic notification after completing the required 9 stays, so I emailed them and received a confirmation about 2 weeks later.
I also didnt get anything after 6 completed stays (Gold), but e-mailed them and got answer within 48 hours...
Old Sep 7, 2013, 1:59 pm

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
Good stuff, thanks
Old Sep 8, 2013, 3:18 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
a friend of mine with HH Diamond got this reply yesterday:

> Thank you for contacting Marriott Rewards.
>
> I apologize to inform you that Elite Challenges are not available.
>
> The Elite status of a Marriott Rewards member is normally calculated each year based on the number of Elite nights accrued in the calendar year, January 1 to December 31. Marriott Rewards members need to reach 10 Elite nights for the Silver level, 50 Elite nights for the Gold level, or 75 Elite nights for the Platinum level.
>
> Please visit the following link for additional information concerning Elite membership:
>
> http://www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/elite.mi
>
> Thank you for choosing Marriott.
>
> Regards,
>
Old Sep 10, 2013, 11:05 am

Programs: United Mileagplus
Gold challenge still not there ...

Another data point:

I just contacted US based customer service over the phone. I am Elite with at-least 15 stays and 30 nights. They said all challenges are cancelled as of August 26th of this year. I was really counting on being Gold for my up coming trips (free breakfast and such). Which would have easily been able to extend my Gold status.

Some people reporting other international customer service agents giving the Gold Challenge?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.