Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2013, 11:58 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Have you checked out the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-required.html thread?

You might be able to get a cheap conference room at some Marriott and get your 10 nights.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
My son has been HH Diamond for the past decade.

Following HH's MEGA-UBER-SUPER-devaluation this year, I suggested that he email MR to get a match.

Response last week was that they do no longer do matches or challenges. When he asked why--no response--just provided a link about how many nights to earn each elite level.

Given that HY offered a simply 12 night in 3 month challenge for Diamond--it's a "no brainer" who will earn his future business...
Old Sep 25, 2013, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
In the other huge Challenge thread, when it appeared the MR had discontinued the program, someone reported they were told it was because real elites were complaining.

Riiiiight.

I'm thinking UA said, "Uh, just who are all these people that we're mailing Silver welcome packets to?"
Old Sep 25, 2013, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
nothing new here as this was announced two months ago................

Originally Posted by Vanessa Howell
Hey folks,

I called Marriott (twice) and emailed [email protected] to ask about status challenges.

All three times I was told that the program has been discontinued.

Text of email is, "Unfortunately, Marriott does not match the status received from a competing hotel groups, and our Taste of Elite challenges are no longer available. I apologize for any inconvenience"

Has anyone else had a similar experience with them?
Do you have recommendations for reaching elite status faster?
Counting all my travel in this year, I'm about 10 nights away from Gold. I have the Marriott Rewards card so can get a night for every $3,000 I spend, but $30,000 is a lot to spend in the next three months...

Thx
Vanessa
Old Sep 25, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by Vanessa Howell
Hey folks,

I called Marriott (twice) and emailed [email protected] to ask about status challenges.

All three times I was told that the program has been discontinued.

Text of email is, "Unfortunately, Marriott does not match the status received from a competing hotel groups, and our Taste of Elite challenges are no longer available. I apologize for any inconvenience"

Has anyone else had a similar experience with them?
Do you have recommendations for reaching elite status faster?
Counting all my travel in this year, I'm about 10 nights away from Gold. I have the Marriott Rewards card so can get a night for every $3,000 I spend, but $30,000 is a lot to spend in the next three months...

Thx
Vanessa
It will return sometime in the future. It always does. Probably too late for you, so I suggest you take hhoope1's advice and just book a 'conference' at the cheapest rate you can find. Viola - 10 elite nights.

Originally Posted by travelexpert
My son has been HH Diamond for the past decade.

Following HH's MEGA-UBER-SUPER-devaluation this year, I suggested that he email MR to get a match.

Response last week was that they do no longer do matches or challenges. When he asked why--no response--just provided a link about how many nights to earn each elite level.

Given that HY offered a simply 12 night in 3 month challenge for Diamond--it's a "no brainer" who will earn his future business...
While it may be a no brainer, Hyatt's footprint is too small to be used as a standalone solution. He will need either Hilton, Marriott, IHG, or Best Western as a backup. Best Western has a 'no questions asked status match'.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 4:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
[QUOTE=iflyjetz;21504644]It will return sometime in the future. It always does. Probably too late for you, so I suggest you take hhoope1's advice and just book a 'conference' at the cheapest rate you can find. Viola - 10 elite nights.

- It will return in the future, but I think the days of getting plat status while doing the challenge are gone.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 4:38 pm
Suspended

BOGOs too???????????

[QUOTE=Red259;21504982]
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
It will return sometime in the future. It always does. Probably too late for you, so I suggest you take hhoope1's advice and just book a 'conference' at the cheapest rate you can find. Viola - 10 elite nights.

- It will return in the future, but I think the days of getting plat status while doing the challenge are gone.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 4:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
[QUOTE=BKKLEE;21505129]BOGOs too???????????

No idea on BOGOs. I just know the marriott reps said that the challenges will be back in the future during select promotional periods.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 4:57 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Red259
No idea on BOGOs. I just know the marriott reps said that the challenges will be back in the future during select promotional periods.
They made similar noises when they took away BOGO's. That was 2 years ago or more...
Old Sep 25, 2013, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
I dunno that this is entirely true. My boss just got the taste of gold challenge. He is comped Gold and then if he gets 6 Stays b/w 10/1 and the EOY and he gets to keep gold. Of course he is already at like 30 nights this year and he didn't call in and ask - it just showed up in his promotions.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 6:25 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
And it was most likely road to gold and not taste of gold.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by trekwars2000
I dunno that this is entirely true. My boss just got the taste of gold challenge. He is comped Gold and then if he gets 6 Stays b/w 10/1 and the EOY and he gets to keep gold. Of course he is already at like 30 nights this year and he didn't call in and ask - it just showed up in his promotions.
It is "Go for The Gold."

I just got in the mail today. I Gold card that is valid end of this year and if I stay 6 stay till Dec 31 2013 I will stay gold till Febr 2015.

The letter dated 9th of Sept.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 5:32 pm

Platinum challenge

Any help? Signed up for the Platinum challenge, got confirming email, completed it and called to upgrade to Platinum. Was then told they are no longer doing the challenge and will not upgrade. Even did mattress runs to complete and NEVER received any notification from Marriott that the challenge was discontinued or that anyone in the challenge would not be honored. Any specific department I can call to assist? Any help would be appreciated as otherwise I've wasted time and money.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 6:58 pm

Programs: LT NoN REV
Originally Posted by sofeea5664
Any help? Signed up for the Platinum challenge, got confirming email, completed it and called to upgrade to Platinum. Was then told they are no longer doing the challenge and will not upgrade. Even did mattress runs to complete and NEVER received any notification from Marriott that the challenge was discontinued or that anyone in the challenge would not be honored. Any specific department I can call to assist? Any help would be appreciated as otherwise I've wasted time and money.
when you received the email confirmation for the challenge, was your account upgraded to platinum?
Old Sep 30, 2013, 8:18 pm
Suspended

if you signed up for the plat challenge and completed it why were you calling in to upgrade to plat???????

the newly implemented policy should not preclude your previous successful completion of the challenge......

Originally Posted by sofeea5664

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.