Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2014, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Hope your experience wasn't a one-off. I know it wasn't available on Monday when I called pretending to be my friend.

Cheers.
Note that sockster was already Gold, and what he got was the regular challenge to go from Gold to Plat and not the taste challenge (where you get the status while you are challenging).

I wonder if you can challenge more than once a year ...
Anyone have experience?
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by noob23
Note that sockster was already Gold, and what he got was the regular challenge to go from Gold to Plat and not the taste challenge (where you get the status while you are challenging).

I wonder if you can challenge more than once a year ...
Anyone have experience?
Ah, didn't catch that. And I think reports are you can't challenge more than once/year. I'll have to check with my friend. Once he's at Silver, will see if we can do the taste, but if not then the reg challenge & he'll just have to suck it up for a bit more.

Cheers.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 1:20 pm

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

...Hmm, wonder if that's true with Gold. I need to check w/ my friend to find
2 weeks ago in my "promotions" on the website I was offered to buy back my Gold status for 25,000 points (only had 39 nights last year so I knew the downgrade was coming). I have about 370,000 points so this wasn't a huge setback for me, however I called the Gold line today and chatted with an agent about a challenge.

She offered me a gold challenge this year after 6 stays in 90 days. However you don't get the gold until you complete the challenge (I will have to deal with Silver during it). I asked her about any retro stays ( I have 5 nights and 3 days in Jan already) but she said "until the computer shows you as Silver, I can't start the challenge" and since technically I'm still a Gold, I have to wait. She checked with someone else and the status will actually "rollback" to Silver on 23FEB, so she started me on the challenge effective 24FEB. Once I meet the challenge I'll have the Gold until 31 JAN 2015.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 9:21 am

Thanks for the update. Interesting she said stays (which is what it has been lately) vs. the stays or nights sockster was quoted.

Cheers.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 9:20 am

I'm currently a Gold. Called the MR line and asked what they had for a Plat challenge. I was offered 9 stays within 3 months, and Plat status not given until after the challenge was successfully completed. Not bad but since my travel is 1-2 weeks per stay, I will be earning Plat the old fashioned way this spring. I asked if they could do anything based on nights and not stays, but they said no. No sense in pushing the issue.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 8:30 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy PE; Hilton Diamond
I happen to have two Marriott accounts -- one in Canada and one in the US -- and both have 15 bonus nights from having the Marriott visa in each country. If I get Marriott to give me a gold challenge on one of the accounts and then merge the non-challenge account into it -- is that a possible way to actually get gold instantly?
Old Mar 6, 2014, 2:28 pm

I've been Platinum/Gold for the last several years, but just got downgraded to silver. I called and was offered the 6 stays within 90 days to get my Gold back, but don't get the benefits until after I complete the requirement. Any suggestions to get Gold status back right away. I have a few trips coming up in the next month, that I already booked at a full Marriott, but my company won't pay for Internet, so I will have to change the reservation, unless I get status back. I told this to the agent, but she wouldn't budge.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
We just received Gold through the Taste of Gold challenge. Have until 6/30 to complete 6 stays.

We have several stays already booked during that time period. Some paid, some on points/certificates. Will the hotels know of our upgraded status? Will we get the benefits (if available) on the award stays?
Old Mar 12, 2014, 4:18 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Are you sure it is not Road to Gold instead of Taste of Gold?
Old Mar 12, 2014, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
We just received Gold through the Taste of Gold challenge. Have until 6/30 to complete 6 stays.

We have several stays already booked during that time period. Some paid, some on points/certificates. Will the hotels know of our upgraded status? Will we get the benefits (if available) on the award stays?
The hotel will know your upgraded status upon check-in, it will be reflected on your stay reminder email actually before check-in.

You're entitled to elite benefits on all kind of stay.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 4:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Thanks, that's what I figured.

No, it's called Taste of Gold. (which is also the name of this master thread, guess it's been around for a while)
Old Mar 12, 2014, 5:05 pm

Looks like they are offering the "taste" as opposed to the "road". My daughter was targeted for the taste and she is gold for the next 3 months.

I already told her to hotel hop when she's in LA to make it to the 6 stays. It seems like the ones who already have a few reservations booked were targeted. She has 4 booked.

She could make it easily, if she listens to her mother!
Old Mar 13, 2014, 5:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
I received gold as well through 6/31/14 if i stay 6 times before this date, i get to keep it until 2/16. Funny thing was I asked for a challenged last year and they flat out refused. I cancelled all my stays. So I had no stays booked when I got the upgrade promo. I do plan to hotel hop in London to get maintain. I was getting tired of the Churchill, so this was very welcome news.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 1:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by SethLevy
I received gold as well through 6/31/14 if i stay 6 times before this date, i get to keep it until 2/16. Funny thing was I asked for a challenged last year and they flat out refused. I cancelled all my stays. So I had no stays booked when I got the upgrade promo. I do plan to hotel hop in London to get maintain. I was getting tired of the Churchill, so this was very welcome news.
2/16?

Interesting!

Thanks for the heads up and the date(s) SethLevy ^
Old Mar 18, 2014, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by carjeff
I have a few trips coming up in the next month, that I already booked at a full Marriott, but my company won't pay for Internet, so I will have to change the reservation, unless I get status back. I told this to the agent, but she wouldn't budge.
Worst case if you want to stay at Marriott to meet the challenge & your company won't pay for i-net, is to sign up for Boingo for $9.95/mth. They don't have a minimum contract so you can cancel it once you get status. Yes, the $9.95 will have to come out of your pocket but for a month's worth of i-net it's a pretty good deal, since it also works at places other than hotels (like some airports).

I'm waiting for my friend to get to silver so then we can ask for a gold challenge. Although I'm starting to wonder if I'm steering him in the right direction given gold takes 50 nights/year. He has a new job where he's traveling so we may have to play it out this year to see if he'll get the 50 consistently or if he should go w/ SPG or Hilton, where getting mid-tier is easier. Of course if he got the Marriott Visa, that would make it easier.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.