FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]
Old Mar 18, 2014, 7:42 am
SkiAdcock
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by carjeff
I have a few trips coming up in the next month, that I already booked at a full Marriott, but my company won't pay for Internet, so I will have to change the reservation, unless I get status back. I told this to the agent, but she wouldn't budge.
Worst case if you want to stay at Marriott to meet the challenge & your company won't pay for i-net, is to sign up for Boingo for $9.95/mth. They don't have a minimum contract so you can cancel it once you get status. Yes, the $9.95 will have to come out of your pocket but for a month's worth of i-net it's a pretty good deal, since it also works at places other than hotels (like some airports).

I'm waiting for my friend to get to silver so then we can ask for a gold challenge. Although I'm starting to wonder if I'm steering him in the right direction given gold takes 50 nights/year. He has a new job where he's traveling so we may have to play it out this year to see if he'll get the 50 consistently or if he should go w/ SPG or Hilton, where getting mid-tier is easier. Of course if he got the Marriott Visa, that would make it easier.

Cheers.