Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mediator
Taste of Gold/Platinum
You are given gold/platinum status for 90 days, and you must complete a certain number of nights/stays to retain that status for the remainder of the year plus the following year. This promotion is targeted only.

Road to Gold/Platinum (a.k.a. Gold/Platinum Challenge)
Currently, this will allow you to move up one level with a shortened stay criteria. You have 90 days to complete 6/9 stays to receive Gold/Platinum status. If you do no qualify, you are eligible to start another challenge one year and one day after the 90th day of the challenge you just did. When you sign up, the MR CSR should tell you the date you are eligible to do another challenge.

FAQ

Q: What qualifies as a stay?
A: One paid night at a Marriott-brand (including Ritz-Carlton Hotels) hotel. Cash+points rate does not qualify. SPG hotels does not qualify (as of 03/2017). Some exclusions may apply, someone please help fill this in.

Q: Can I simply book multiple, consecutive one-night stays at the same hotel?
A: No.

Q: Can I jump between multiple Marriotts in the area?
A: Yes. As long as you book at least one night at each property. Special care must be taken if the Marriott properties are next to each other. They may share the same back-office. While you may book one night at each property on consecutive nights, which should count as two stays, it may only count as one stay. A call to Marriott Rewards should split them up correctly.

Q: Can I book multiple nights at different properties for the same night to get multiple stay credits?
A: No. Regardless how many different places you book for the same night, it all counts as one stay.

Q: Can I sign up for both Gold and Platinum Challenges at the same time?
A: No. Only one challenge per year.

Q: I'm Silver, can I do the Platinum challenge?
A: No. This is only a one-level promotion. You are only eligible for the Gold challenge.

Q: Can a non-elite do the Gold Challenge
A: No. Must be Silver.

Q: I just completed my 6th/9th stay. When should I see my new status?
A: Good job! Your new status should appear after your 6th/9th stay posts to your account.

Q: Can I book a meeting to get a stay credit?
A: No. You will only receive 10 night credits, not a stay credit.
Print Wikipost

"Taste of Gold/Platinum" promotion and Platinum challenge [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2014, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I saw in the Chinese FT, there is a guy who asked for a Plat status match with his RA and Hyatt Diamond with statement showing his stays. MR granted him Plat status instantly.

I'm doing 'Road to Plat' - 9 stays by July 31, no status until the challenge has completed - I'm fine with that. They told me it was an 'one-time only' offer. Not sure it's true though.
Old May 2, 2014, 4:32 am

Programs: Marriott, Virgin Atlantic, BA
Originally Posted by Dolphinyong
Anyone still got the Platinum challenge? I was told that they couldn't offer me such a challenge due to my current Platinum status (which will expire in Feb 2015)
Erm??
Old May 2, 2014, 11:06 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nacho
I saw in the Chinese FT, there is a guy who asked for a Plat status match with his RA and Hyatt Diamond with statement showing his stays. MR granted him Plat status instantly.

I'm doing 'Road to Plat' - 9 stays by July 31, no status until the challenge has completed - I'm fine with that. They told me it was an 'one-time only' offer. Not sure it's true though.
Do you and your husband just keep doing back-to-back challenges? It seems like you have been posting about this for years.
Old May 2, 2014, 12:08 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
You can get Marriott Platinum status through credit card spending using their Chase-affiliated Marriott or Ritz-Carlton cards: http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthew...tus-just-went/
Old May 3, 2014, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Right. It has been re-named to something like the "Road to Platinum" and I don't have a problem with their offering this type of variant as the other was far too abused from what they told me.
Called yesterday and got the "Taste Of Platinum" challenge, requires 18 nights by August. Status changed from gold to plat within 30 minutes of the call.
Old May 3, 2014, 10:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 53flyer
Called yesterday and got the "Taste Of Platinum" challenge, requires 18 nights by August. Status changed from gold to plat within 30 minutes of the call.
Well, call me surprised! Good luck in completing it, others have gotten a 9 night stay challenge, don't know which you would have preferred. However, another European poster had reported that he had received a similar offer so perhaps the "Taste" is alive and well over in Europe.
Old May 5, 2014, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by lsumegan
Do you and your husband just keep doing back-to-back challenges? It seems like you have been posting about this for years.
I don't think my posts are all about that

I re-qualified Gold for 2014.

Last edited by nacho; May 5, 2014 at 1:20 am
Old May 5, 2014, 9:01 am

Hi I am new here. I got this year's Gold status through UA match program, and so far at 25 nights, plus 10+ in the booking. I called for Plat challenge but was told I am not eligible because I got my G through UA referral this year, and can only apply for Plat challenge after re-qualify next year. Is this true?
Old May 5, 2014, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by MOWEN
Hi I am new here. I got this year's Gold status through UA match program, and so far at 25 nights, plus 10+ in the booking. I called for Plat challenge but was told I am not eligible because I got my G through UA referral this year, and can only apply for Plat challenge after re-qualify next year. Is this true?
Not true in my case. I'm gold as a result of UA status and initially got the same response as you; reiterated my high number of potential nights in the next 60 days and asked to elevate to higher approval level (i.e. supervisor). After a brief wait got approved for Taste of Platinum and "real" status after 18 nights (which I'll do in the next 3 weeks).
Old May 5, 2014, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by 53flyer
Not true in my case. I'm gold as a result of UA status and initially got the same response as you; reiterated my high number of potential nights in the next 60 days and asked to elevate to higher approval level (i.e. supervisor). After a brief wait got approved for Taste of Platinum and "real" status after 18 nights (which I'll do in the next 3 weeks).
Thanks, it seems I should call again ^
Old May 5, 2014, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by MOWEN
HUACA. Definitely try someone else. I find Marriott to be quite receptive to their members. They have great customer service. Try another rep.

Good luck.
Old May 5, 2014, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
HUACA. Definitely try someone else. I find Marriott to be quite receptive to their members. They have great customer service. Try another rep.

Good luck.
Ok called again today, the first rep didn't want to offer me and was very rude (when I was trying to explain he said he already made the decision and better end the call), so I asked to talk to his supervisor. The supervisor was very nice and immediately saying based on my activities and upcoming stays she is willing to offer me the challenge.

I think the challenge is something we call "road to plat", not the "taste" one, but it's good enough, and I will make it anyways by early next month.

Thanks all.
Old May 7, 2014, 2:27 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Hmm...Just to add my recent experience. Asked for a "Taste of Gold" recently and was immediately granted it. However, the letter said that I will not get Gold until I fulfil the challenge. After further communication, I was told "We no longer call our challenges the Taste of Elite challenges. They are just Elite challenges."

Not sure if t is attractive enough for me in this case...
Old May 7, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by vbroucek
Hmm...Just to add my recent experience. Asked for a "Taste of Gold" recently and was immediately granted it. However, the letter said that I will not get Gold until I fulfil the challenge. After further communication, I was told "We no longer call our challenges the Taste of Elite challenges. They are just Elite challenges."

Not sure if t is attractive enough for me in this case...
So what you are saying is you only need status for your next stay but don't plan to swing business Marriott way for rest of the year?

Well in that case, please don't apply, we don't need instant elites
Old May 10, 2014, 1:46 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by iztok
So what you are saying is you only need status for your next stay but don't plan to swing business Marriott way for rest of the year?

Well in that case, please don't apply, we don't need instant elites
Well, I have already 21 nights in 6 different places booked and ready to book more... So I do not think I am a case of "instant elites" you refer to - I just think that it would be more attractive for me to be Gold for those stays... And to be honest, if I could move those stays to other chains where I have gold, I would do it... But I cannot for all sorts of reasons...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.